Paul Lambert

limpid

Maybe those who still support and defend Lambert have lost sight of the most important factor of all in that league placement and points are the bottom line as a barometer of performance level. How many times have we heard the old cliche the table never lies and certainly if that is the case then your statement better manager than McLeish by some considerable distance has very little substance at all.

Or perhaps they think that there is more that should be taken into account that just league placement and points and that they aren't the only barometer. That they think other things should be taken into consideration.

If you think McLeish is a better manager than Lambert, well that is your view I'm not going to try and change it but don't expect many people to agree with you.

Those other things that you speak of have been taken into consideration by the fans and that's why he has been afforded more patience than previous managers here.

The original defence was that he had brought young inexperienced players into the squad who needed a bedding in period and would come good in the second season. Well that bedding in period has past with no real consistent Improvement in performance or points level and that's why he is losing the support of the fans now.

You remember the fans reaction at the Bolton game under McLeish and then the reaction at the Palace game under Lambert. If our last performance of this season against Spurs had been at home then the unrest at the Bolton game would have been replicated.

I'd like you to quote where I have stated that McLeish is a better manager than Lambert? That's hasn't been my point at all. My point has been if you are going to say that Lambert is a very good manager then what are you basing that on because his record with us has been atrocious. So much so that it has parity with a manager continually referred to by our fans as one of the worst managers we have ever had and that is exactly my point.

I believe the £10m figure to be accurate for last summer, Sid has said that, HH said that and I've also heard it from elsewhere.

As for this summer as things stand I would imagine he will have less.

Which is why its a concern him staying on.

With limited funds and full support of majority of fans he achieved our worst ever premiership season.

With less funds and fans on his back straight away how's he meant to do better?

how is anyone?

• Like 1

I'd like you to quote where I have stated that McLeish is a better manager than Lambert? That's hasn't been my point at all. My point has been if you are going to say that Lambert is a very good manager then what are you basing that on because his record with us has been atrocious. So much so that it has parity with a manager continually referred to by our fans as one of the worst managers we have ever had and that is exactly my point.

Read what I posted, I said "if you think" but by the same token I'm not sure I said "Lamber is a very good manager" what I've said is that he is a far better manager than McLeish and than some give him credit for. I don't think it does have parity with McLeish but I'm not going to repeat myself yet again as to why.

No you didn't say Lambert was a good manager. I was referring to another poster and it was badly worded so apologies for that.

I've never stated or alluded to McLeish being a better manager than Lambert so there was no basis for the you think comment and I agree there's no point in repeating the same argument as we are too far apart on opinion.

A lot of people suggesting that Lambert has the interests of the club at his heart. I'm not convinced. It's all about damage limitation after last year. If anything a season under so many constraints may actually improve his rep again. I'm not convinced his actions from now are anything more than self preservation.

If he was only interested in self preservation, why not quit and blame the sale of the club. He would get another job.

Or why not quit and claim constructive dismissal, ala O'Neill.

I don't really see how him sticking at it, in the knowledge the club could be sold and he could be out of a job as being the better option for him for self preservation let alone the prospect of limping through a season if a takeover doesn't happen.

No guarantee of getting a premiership job and surely its easier getting a pay off from new owners than trying to take the club to court.

His reputation IMO has taken a hit over the last season, he'd certainly struggle to get another top level job in the current climate.

It's a blessing for him that we're in such dire straights, he can turn around now and look at the conditions I had to work under.

• Like 1

I believe the £10m figure to be accurate for last summer, Sid has said that, HH said that and I've also heard it from elsewhere.

So as the accounts say differently are the board cooking the books?

I very much doubt that either Sid or HH have any sort of access to the financial dealings when signing a player?

I think they have been both fed the same bollox by Lambo the man is known for being economical with the truth?

The accounts don't show what we spent last summer do they?

From memory of the scintillating accounts thread I think it shows Lambert has spent £42m over the past 2 seasons? I also think PF confirmed this in an interview somewhere?

I very much doubt that either Sid or HH have any sort of access to the financial dealings when signing a player?

I think they have been both fed the same bollox by Lambo the man is known for being economical with the truth?

No the accounts don't say different, the most recent accounts released show figures for the year ending May 31st 2013 as far as I'm aware so do not show figures for last summer.

So its not our worst PL season ever.

38 points, which is the same as McLeish but with a worse goal difference, so it's worse. And more games lost than any other premiership season.

Quite clearly our worst premiership season.

38 points, which is the same as McLeish but with a worse goal difference, so it's worse. And more games lost than any other premiership season.

It isn't though as I've just shown you we've previously finished lower. Repeat it as many times as you wish, it still won't be accurate.

• Like 3

It isn't though as I've just shown you we've previously finished lower. Repeat it as many times as you wish, it still won't be accurate.

It's probably the worse squad i've seen in my lifetime as a Villa fan.  So par for the course imo.

No the accounts don't say different, the most recent accounts released show figures for the year ending May 31st 2013 as far as I'm aware so do not show figures for last summer.

Yes you are correct Trent last summer will be in 2013/14 accounts which are not out yet. Well we will see how much was spent when they arrive although it will all be irrelevant. By then as we will have been brought out by a consortium of the worlds 10 richest men and have sore throats from cheering Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Bale after the celebration for the domestic cup treble and seeing them on the balcony of the council in Victoria Square?

• Like 1

It was a shite season! Was it the worst? Don't care it still wasn't good enough! Arguing of technicalities doesn't make either McLeish or Lambert look any better. Pulis showed this year what a 'real' manager can do with a bunch of no hopers if you organise and manage correctly. Neither McLeish or Lambert have proved they can and in our current position we need a manager with the same skills as Pulis!

• Like 1

Lambert staying on is a blessing. He knows the players and the situation and we're lucky he hasn't walked by the sound of it.

Seriously who else do you think would accept the poisoned chalice that is the Villa job right now?

It was a shite season! Was it the worst? Don't care it still wasn't good enough! Arguing of technicalities doesn't make either McLeish or Lambert look any better. Pulis showed this year what a 'real' manager can do with a bunch of no hopers if you organise and manage correctly. Neither McLeish or Lambert have proved they can and in our current position we need a manager with the same skills as Pulis!

I agree it was, I just don't think its fair to say its the worst when it isn't. 

With regards Pulis, I actually agree with you his performance at Palace was startling and in fairness is a very valid thing to level as a criticism of Lambert by comparison. You will get no dispute from me on that one.

I'm not against being critical of Lambert, I myself am critical of him for elements of his performance and its clear Pulis out performed him. I'm just prefer criticism to be fair or what I view as being fair and balanced and as I've said previously, a lot of the time it really isn't or at least I don't think it is.

In terms of the type of manager we need, I'm not sure anyone would have wanted Pulis when he was at Stoke the season before. I'm also unsure who this manager we need would be or if they would want the job in the current climate.

At the moment, I still think we are better off under Lambert than the likely alternatives.

• Like 3

Looks like Celtic will be looking for a new manager. That might be a big carrot 

Neil Lennon is to end his four-year spell as Celtic manager over concerns about his playing budget.

Or not...

Â