Paul Lambert

limpid

Just reading through the thread, as I've not been on for a day...

I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on.

Albrighton and Herd included in our list of 7 'experienced' players :D

It's a ridiculous comment really - from saying people are extreme exaggeraters and then putting clark, baker, herd and an injured and yet to play delph as our experienced players!. I bet other teams would crave for that kind of experience!

We are all familiar with all these issues that get raised over and over again in this thread. I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on

so when he took over 1 experienced player. be surprised if rest had 100 Premier League games between them before Lambert came in

When he took over he had players like Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, Bent, Ireland, whatever you think of them we paid their wages and he refused to use them.

Most of our experienced players ended up in "the Bomb Squad" when Lambert arrived.

No doubt there are very diffrent opinions on how Lambert handled them and on if it had to be done in the way it was.

Since none of us have the facts we can but speculate but seeing as we still have a fair few of them on the payroll and the current team is struggling once again it hasn't imo worked out very well.

I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on.

He also had Bent, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Hutton, Given, Warnock and Dunne. They have a few more games under their belts too.

Lots of revisionism regarding this anyway. Let's not forget that he wasn't forced to get rid of all the high earners which is why Darren Bent was made captain, Shay Given began the season as No. 1 and the likes of Ireland and N'Zogbia begun last season in the first team. Not to mention Gabby and Delph who remain key players.

It's a ridiculous comment really - from saying people are extreme exaggeraters and then putting clark, baker, herd and an injured and yet to play delph as our experienced players!. I bet other teams would crave for that kind of experience!

It certainly isn't a "ridiculous" comment, although it has rather been ripped out of context in order to try to distort and misrepresent the point I was making - by the by, an increasingly common feature of the desperate arguments of those seeking to defend Lambert's record, I find.

I was making a series of points to counter the absurd statement that Lambert had to "rebuild the club from the ground up" and I was pointing out that he had plenty of experienced players in the squad he inherited, including the experience of the junior players referenced here, but also that of much more experienced players whom he cast out of the squad.

Tell you what, why not look at my whole post and respond to that rather than trying the rather futile tactic of picking on half a sentence and pretending that is the whole argument I am making. 

Reading through this thread catching up. Mourinho could do nothing with this team, ya gotta laugh. So Lambert would be top 4 managing Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool. I doubt that.

Lets make one thing clear! There are managers who could do a better job here with the restraints. I cannot believe what few fans are saying that Lambert is the best manager for the Villa at this present time????

I don't think fans are saying that Lamber is the BEST manager for Villa at the present time. The arguement is more nuanced...... Lambert is on par with his likely replacement and therefore why bother changing would be better.

• Like 1

I don't think fans are saying that Lamber is the BEST manager for Villa at the present time. The arguement is more nuanced...... Lambert is on par with his likely replacement and therefore why bother changing would be better.

This.  It just wouldn't be worth it (right now) for another session of upheaval only 2 seasons down the line.

I don't like the way Lerner has run the club and I don't think he's made Lambert's job easy but to think this is the best we could expect from a manager is ridiculous.

This. It just wouldn't be worth it (right now) for another session of upheaval only 2 seasons down the line.

So rather than try and improve let's stick with a plan that's clearly not working. I think it would be well worth the upheaval to see the club perform better and get better results.

I actually think Dunne, Collins, Bent etc.. would have done better than what we got, at least Dunne and Collins knows how to defend. Bent could be a nice impact sub to have. And NZogbia should be a regular first choice, miles better than Weimann, MILES better

I actually think Dunne, Collins, Bent etc.. would have done better than what we got, at least Dunne and Collins knows how to defend. Bent could be a nice impact sub to have. And NZogbia should be a regular first choice, miles better than Weimann, MILES better

There's this financial problem that we've been working with for a while...

It's the height of irrationality to state that any successor to Lambert would be on par with him when you or nobody else has the first clue who that would be.

Also, believing that quite literally no other manager in the world (even one of the world's best like Mourinho) couldn't have done any better than ours is tantamount to saying he is the best man for the job.

Regardless of which group of players Paul Lambert was working with, I would expect to see a month on month improvement throughout the team given the time he has spent working with them. That's what coaching and management is all about. What I'm seeing is at best static and more recently regressive, with the occasional "how did that happen?" result thrown in. I don't think that PL can get any more out of these players, so what's the solution? Does he sell his own buys and "go again" in the transfer market, or does he have to be replaced with a manager (coach) who can get more out of what ever assets we have?

I realise that this is almost certainly just hypothetical conjecture, because Lerner is very unlikely to replace Paul Lambert.

Lambert needs and deserves the chance to get a bit more quality into the team - he hasn't really had the opportunity to do that yet.

No only [almost] two seasons and £40m+ spent. Poor him.

I actually think Dunne, Collins, Bent etc.. would have done better than what we got, at least Dunne and Collins knows how to defend. Bent could be a nice impact sub to have. And NZogbia should be a regular first choice, miles better than Weimann, MILES better

Based on what? He's had 10 starts, 12 sub appearances and scored three goals and has one assist. Weimann has 3 goals, 4 assists, works harder and has more pace and contributes more to the team overall.

We've been through this before, Lambert finished higher with the worst Villa squad ever (if you believe certain posters) than McLeish managed with a squad of experienced players. The club are better off now we've gotten rid of the negative influences and overpayed players. Hopefully, in the summer, we'll be rid of CNZ, Bent, Hutton and Given.

Â