Paul Lambert

limpid

Ive been probably Lamberts biggest supporters on here, well 1 of them anyway. If we dont beat Norwich on Sunday im going to have to hold my hands up and admit defeat. I believe Lamberts villa future lies on this game, its that big.

I totally agree. Does Randy agree though …. or is he still sorting that new contract out?

I don't think he ever was.

People saying what a waste of resources bringing in Kozak (and subsquently Holt) as we didn't need a forward. Yet at the moment we are really struggling to put our chances in the back of the net. Due to a lack of an in form forward.

Hopefully the fans can produce a similar atmosphere of the QPR and Sunderland games of last season. We are in a dogfight (again), we need to stick together and overcome.

I think the fans are going to need a big performance from the whole team. With our next three games being played consecutively at Villa Park, Lambert and the team have to be on top of their game. No excuses, nowhere to hide!

On Kozak my issue is not with him personally I think he has done pretty well the issue is 

1)Limited funds Weimann / Helanius /Gabby /Benteke who can play upfront ..you could even argue Bent could be included and ye we spent somewhere in region of £5mil on another striker when clearly midfield is an issue

2)Argument is he is brought to cover Benteke , and yet Lambert says they can play together and has put them together which was an utter failure

3)He gets injured and again when crying out for midfielders or a CB to cover Vlaar we bring in yet another physically large striker ..in Holt

This is what I don't get with Lambert and I'm sure there are wage issues to be taken into account but I can not believe somewhere out there in the world of football he couldn't have used the money for Kozak and arguable Helenuis better.Certainly the outlay on Tonev looks completely misguided.

People saying what a waste of resources bringing in Kozak (and subsquently Holt) as we didn't need a forward. Yet at the moment we are really struggling to put our chances in the back of the net. Due to a lack of an in form forward.

Well yeah, but if the money was spent on the midfield we may (imo) have had the ability to better control the game and create more and better chances

Hopefully the fans can produce a similar atmosphere of the QPR and Sunderland games of last season. We are in a dogfight (again), we need to stick together and overcome.

I think the fans are going to need a big performance from the whole team. With our next three games being played consecutively at Villa Park, Lambert and the team have to be on top of their game. No excuses, nowhere to hide!

Agreed. The fans have their part to play as well.

Well yeah, but if the money was spent on the midfield we may (imo) have had the ability to better control the game and create more and better chances

That's crazy thinking. We obviously need more target men.

• Like 1

Certainly the outlay on Tonev looks completely misguided.

Whilst I agree to some extent with the rest of your post, I think a midfielder was a bigger priority, though it wasn't hugely clear in the summer, I don't think Lambert could have done much else with the Tonev situation. How would the fans have reacted if it was revealed that Petrov, just weeks after becoming a part of the backroom staff, suggested a player that he thought would be good for Villa, only to be rejected by Lambert? I'm sure that would have gone down like a lead balloon. Of course he would have scouted him with other scouts, or at least you'd hope, but it was also the off season, so not much to go on really.

Maybe not the right reason to buy someone, but it was a risk, based on Petrov's judgement being sound, and it has backfired. But I reckon they're might have been some grumbles if we didn't sign him as Petrov suggested him.

In a downside, i think all our games in march are on tv. We all know what that means

• Like 1

In a downside, i think all our games in march are on tv. We all know what that means

The Sunderland game was on TV, it really does not matter. The fans need to bring their A game.

What your trying to say is no booing. Well that's down to Lambert. Cause if I am nearly falling asleep again in the trinity end and we lose, I may as well join the boo boys. But the clear direction will be at Lambert!!!

The Sunderland game was on TV, it really does not matter. The fans need to bring their A game.

Do those blaming the players not think that 26 games of playing long ball probably isn't the best way to get players confident, comfortable and more importantly getting our front 3 scoring.

Conversely, do you reckon Lambert is telling them to get it off the floor at every opportunity?

I dont buy it's all Lambert and I dont buy that it's all the players. I'm sure Lambert wants it on the floor, and I'm sure the players do too, they're just not able to in a lot of cases. They panic and hoof

Lambert isn't a moron. He knows that you need the ball on the deck to progress. The players know too. But knowing and doing are very different things. They're clearly just not able for it consistently

Our problem is deeper than that. And we have a really good striker, someone who is way too good to play for our team. We said in the summer that he should stay so that he could bolster his chances for Belgium before the WC, but as it turns out he would have had a much bigger shot if he had left for a bigger club when he handed in the request for a transfer.

Christian Benteke is a very good striker, and lightyears ahead of every other player we have in terms of ability. To use the old example again, even Falcao or Van Persie would struggle to score above 15 goals with this team, and by that I mean exceptional strikers who don't always create chances for themselves like Suarez or Ronaldo.

Our problem is our midfield and general lack of attacking momentum. We don't create attacks by playing after set patterns, we score goals after circumstance and errors. All of our players want to score, they want to contribute going forward and the ball is tossed in that direction - eventually it will lead to a goal every now and again. For players like Benteke this is extremely painful to watch, because he knows he has to work on 200% capacity and receive very little in return. When he is off or just plain annoyed by lack of efforts, it looks really bad when watching it and he gets the blame. Sure if he is missing clear chances over time it's his bad, but when chances come by every third game it's not his fault.

I paid attention to our midfield in the game against Cardiff, especially in the first half. When watching better teams you see their midfield players running after the ball when it's going forward, but our players lack the confidence, ability and tactical understanding to do the same. Westwood for example passes the ball to a player like Benteke who is in front of him in midfield, Benteke then pushes it out wide and runs forward. Westwood, instead of taking up space higher up the pitch to create room for others, stand absolutely still and watch what happens. Exactly the same can be said about Delph and the other guy playing in midfield in any given game. This of course leads to Gabby, Benteke and Weimann doing it all on their own, which is practically impossible when they have to attack four defenders in balance, as well as the returning midfielders who have taken their defensive run. If Weimann is already out wide, it's quite impossible to create anything for the two inside the box being guarded by 6-7 players. If we do score from this, it's back to what I mentioned earlier, a mistake by the defense, an error or just plain luck.

It needs to change drastically, because no manager can succeed (on a budget or not) if he doesn't have a single clue how to attack on a football pitch.

• Like 1

3 points this weekend are an absolute must, otherwise I think I will have lost all patience with Mr Lambert.

The standard of football this season seems to be deteriorating with every match that passes, and we are slowly dropping down the table towards the danger zone.

I have a feeling that another home defeat on Sunday will see the crowd officially turn, and I don't see any way back from that.

I'm all for giving managers time, and for clubs to try to stabilise, but we're nearly back to where we started!

Do those blaming the players not think that 26 games of playing long ball probably isn't the best way to get players confident, comfortable and more importantly getting our front 3 scoring.

Conversely, do you reckon Lambert is telling them to get it off the floor at every opportunity?

I dont buy it's all Lambert and I dont buy that it's all the players. I'm sure Lambert wants it on the floor, and I'm sure the players do too, they're just not able to in a lot of cases. They panic and hoof

Lambert isn't a moron. He knows that you need the ball on the deck to progress. The players know too. But knowing and doing are very different things. They're clearly just not able for it consistently

Yes. You don't play this amount of long ball football if the manager doesn't want it.

And if after 18 months he can't get them to do the basic things that he wants them to do then I think that's more worrying.

• Like 1

I never thought BJ would be too optimistic on an issue concerning Villa but Helenius I don't see what you see he looks pap

Well I haven't seen anything because the manager signed him and doesn't play him. But he did well in the league we signed him from and from the small glimpses we've seen he looks technically decent.

It cost less than £3m to sign Tonev who is clearly adapting to a new league, language, and country. He's shown hints of ability but too often makes the wrong decision in an effort to impress. Ridiculous to write him off so early.

This instant gratification of transfer signings is just silly. If Tonev cost £10m, £20m, or even £30m, you'd make a better argument in terms of return of quality. He's a low risk signing and is obviously hungry to play.

Like with Kozak, a player brought in to take the weight of responsibility off Benteke and act as his replacement in case of injury or loss of form. 

You cannot expect foreign players or those from the lower leagues to be instant successes. It doesn't always work like that. They go through periods of bad form, injury and confidence. It's natural.

Obviously Lambert deems them good enough or have enough potential to do a job at this club. There's an inherent gamble with every transfer and sometimes certain players will take longer to adapt. Not everything is solely the fault of the manager.

• Like 3

Â