Paul Lambert

limpid

The club is in an awful state compared to what it used to be, I know this, you know this, but it isn't going to change with a new managerial appointment.

I certainly wouldn't sack him before the end of the season. He has assembled this pile of tripe and I doubt very much any manager could get much more out of them.

In the summer though a change could well be beneficial. Another rebuild is required as most of our players are out of their depth. One thing is looking very likely is that we will not progress under Lambert. In almost two years here he has rebuilt the squad, all be it on a limited budget, and yet we are in pretty much the same position he found us serving up dire football

Sticking with Lambert is like throwing a dice. We currently have a 2 and some seem content to stick with that for fearing of throwing a 1. We could however take a punt and throw a 3, 4, 5,or 6.

I have visions of Lambert as the dice man. What will it be wingbacks or a 442?, the dice will decide....

Laudrup is a decent shout but it must be remembered that the philosophy at Swansea was already in place long before he came along. Would he be able to lay the foundations (rather than just building on them) with a limited budget here? I'm not so sure.

I can see the new manager interviews being....

"right, were looking for a young, dynamic go getter who can build a squad of young & hungry players to build a long and bright future for the club"

"sounds good, what sort of budget will I have?"

"500 quid, oh and the previous manager signed some players on inflated wages, so we need to get the likes of Ashley Westwood & bacuna off the books"

"forget it"

Who has Lambert signed on "inflated" wages? For all his faults I don't think that's one of them, probably because he hasn't really had that much to spend on wages in the first place.

We also need to remember that we're on the same amount of points as Swansea even now. I'm all for their style of play but it hasn't achieved anything better than ourselves so far this season.

The fact I mentioned a 500 quid budget and Westwood & bacuna should tell you my posts was in jest mantis

Well obviously but the £500 budget is only an exaggeration of something that is already there, mainly a lack of funds.

1 point from the last 3 games is shocking. No direction at all.

Poor players managed by a poor manager for a club owned by a poor owner. 

Shambles

Edited by Xela

Laudrup is a decent shout but it must be remembered that the philosophy at Swansea was already in place long before he came along. Would he be able to lay the foundations (rather than just building on them) with a limited budget here? I'm not so sure.

"right, were looking for a young, dynamic go getter who can build a squad of young & hungry players to build a long and bright future for the club"

"500 quid, oh and the previous manager signed some players on inflated wages, so we need to get the likes of Ashley Westwood & bacuna off the books"

"forget it"

Who has Lambert signed on "inflated" wages? For all his faults I don't think that's one of them, probably because he hasn't really had that much to spend on wages in the first place.

I agree it would be a bigger ask than what he did at Swansea but to be honest I have less faith Lambert could provide a positive philosophy for the club. I'm sure there are other people who'd want someone else though.   

I don't think another rebuild as such is required, but some serious investment is needed.

Really. Bennett, Luna, Baker, Lowton, KEA, Sylla, Tonev have all had plenty of game time this season or last and in the main look out of their depth. Weimann has gone backwards, Bacuna is hit and miss, Helenius has been anonymous which suggests the manager doesn't like what he sees in training. Add to that that Benteke could well be off if anyone is still prepared to pay 20 mill plus.

The squad is up there with the worst I can remember in my 30+ years following us. If it isn't rebuilt then all we can expect is more of the same regardless of who the manager is.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

People on here can talk round in circles as much as they want but no-one can deny the results and the fact we aren't progressing at all.

Someone has to be accountable. Once we finally succumb to relegation there will be no coming back - we have been acting like a Championship club now for 3 years, maybe that's what Lerner's ambition for us is.

Edited by VillanousOne

"forget it"

We also need to remember that we're on the same amount of points as Swansea even now. I'm all for their style of play but it hasn't achieved anything better than ourselves so far this season.

True but I'd rather have a team capable of excellent football and being attractive to watch than the way we set out. I'm going off topic now though.  

"forget it"

True but I'd rather have a team capable of excellent football and being attractive to watch than the way we set out. I'm going off topic now though.  

Me too, but it wouldn't exactly be excellent football if it is only as successful as the stuff that we play. Both teams are still in a relegation battle.

I agree with samjp, don't need a big rebuild this time, just need to add one or two quality players to the starting line-up and get a bit more depth.

So how many new players do we need? And I think we need more than one or two quality first team players.

"forget it"

Me too, but it wouldn't exactly be excellent football if it is only as successful as the stuff that we play. Both teams are still in a relegation battle.

My main gripe with Lambert is the football we play (Crystal Palace at home was a real low for me). If we had more creativity and invention I'd certainly be more confident we'd be okay this season and have some faith that he could turn it around. 

I agree with samjp, don't need a big rebuild this time, just need to add one or two quality players to the starting line-up and get a bit more depth.

So how many new players do we need? And I think we need more than one or two quality first team players.

I guess it depends on what we want to achieve really, personally I think we need to sign Bertrand on a permanent, another right back and maybe two midfielders.

Sell Lowton, sell Bennett, sell Bowery, sell Bent, sell Hutton, sell Given.

We need a midfield, not just a number 10, I've been saying it for months. Westwood got given praise today because 'controlled' the midfield, he didn't, what he did was what he always does, gets the ball and passes it, something no other midfielder we have actually does, KEA/Sylla/Delph all graft and work hard but largely do nothing else.

• Like 3

This clown needs to be sacked asap. Instead that useless tosser of an owner is going to give him a new contract. Lambert has wasted the money he has been given and is tactically inept. In fact I would go as far as saying he makes MON look a tactical genius.

Even at this stage of the season a new manager coming in could get more out of our admittedly shit squad.

The bottom line if we stick with Lambert we can look forward to whole array of new and interesting fixtures next season.....Bournemouth away anyone?

Oh and if we lose against Norwich next weekend I think all hell will break lose amongst the fans.

I've never felt this despondent about Villa. Today's result has barely bothered me at all. I don't expect anything so literally nothing can disappoint me at the moment. It's more depressing than anything. We're not going anywhere at all for the foreseeable future, we won't compete for anything and even mid-table mediocrity would be something to 'celebrate' at the moment. And then we have all this in-fighting between fans because we're all pissed off and venting all the time. It's just such a miserable football club from top to bottom. If I could switch off that part of the brain that forces me to support Aston Villa and won't let me stop, I would.

• Like 4

Â