Paul Lambert

limpid

LOL at our tactical masterclass vs Southampton! It's funny people still actually think that. Conceding 70% possession and letting the other team have 20-30 shots on goal 9 times out of 10 will result in defeat! Logic dictates.

Nope they had a lot of possession but most shots were from distance and we were happy to watch them spend hours tapping it around outside the box. They were lucky to get the goals they got and we were unlucky not to score more.

But I guess it's okay to change history to suit your argument. Seem to be seeing that a lot here today!!

• Like 2

Can someone please respond as to what Lambert has done since being here to make you so supportive of him?

Im prepared to give Lambert a bit more time, but it has been noticed that all of the 'believers' haven't answered this question, yet demand other people answer their argument.

Just taking a look at our season so far, and I have to say, apart from some shit performances November/December time, we've been doing much better than people make out on here, especially considering our current circumstances.

• Made 9 signings (permanent and loan) and had 7 players leave (permanent and loan) for a net spend of ~£16m
  • Hugely reduced the wage bill based on which players have left
  • Only just survived last season
  • Only been lower than 14th once, we dropped to 17th after 4 games but bounced up to 13th a game later, otherwise we've been bobbing between 10th and 13th mostly
  • A much better GD from last season, though still not great
  • 7 Clean sheets already, we had 6 for the entirety of last season
  • Had some very good performances and huge results (last two games, Citeh, Arsenal etc.)
  • Benteke, Gabby and Vlaar have all been injured or out of form for the majority of this period, our three most important outfield players
  • Weimann, Lowton and Westwood not been performing as well as we know they can
  • Okore been missing all season, looked as if he could have been extremely good with Vlaar
  • Bertrand looks to be a fantastic signing already

I'd say we have shown some improvement this year with an injury hit and out of form squad that's had little time to gel. Just imagine how well we'd do if we had a fully fit, gelled and in-form squad.

Hopefully Lambert will be backed this summer, whether it be by Lerner or some other owner, if we finish mid-table this season (which it looks like we will) I reckon we could definitely challenge for European spots next season.

• Like 2

For what it's worth I agree with those saying that Laudrup coming in wouldn't change much as he'd need to be backed. I was just stating I'd prefer Laudrup to Lambert if the circumstances were more ideal for him to be brought in.

They aren't and it's never going to happen anyway so we might as well just accept the fact that Lambert is our manager for now.

To be fair, we don't really know what Lambert would be like if properly backed. Personally I think we'd do very very well. I've always seen Lambert as a pragmatist - he'll play defensive or bad football if necessary but I believe we could also play some nice stuff under him.

Fair point, and I can understand why some people feel that way but I'm just not that confident in him.

For what it's worth I agree with those saying that Laudrup coming in wouldn't change much as he'd need to be backed. I was just stating I'd prefer Laudrup to Lambert if the circumstances were more ideal for him to be brought in.

They aren't and it's never going to happen anyway so we might as well just accept the fact that Lambert is our manager for now.

To be fair, we don't really know what Lambert would be like if properly backed. Personally I think we'd do very very well. I've always seen Lambert as a pragmatist - he'll play defensive or bad football if necessary but I believe we could also play some nice stuff under him.

Fair point, and I can understand why some people feel that way but I'm just not that confident in him.

I think if anybody is going to get financially backed by the board that it will be Lambert though. I can't see us sacking him and then letting a new manager splash a load of cash in the Summer.

I think if anybody is going to get financially backed by the board that it will be Lambert though. I can't see us sacking him and then letting a new manager splash a load of cash in the Summer.

No I think you're right about that too. The only way we'd get someone else in is if we had a change in ownership.

Edited by Ginko

Laudrup is still a better manager than Lambert, different between Huw Jenkins and RL is Huw hasn't wasted millions on poor managerial appointments like Lerner has.

What's Lerner's past appointments got to do with Lambert and Laudrup?

Laudrup is still a better manager than Lambert, different between Huw Jenkins and RL is Huw hasn't wasted millions on poor managerial appointments like Lerner has.

Nothing thought I mention it as I know there are a lot of pro Lambert on VT.

Equally there are a lot of anti Lambert people on here it would seem.

Since July 2007 Laudrup has had 4 clubs with Swansea being the longest. Now regardless of what people think of Lambert the biggest thing our club has needed is stability especially when stripping back the club. If Lambert can sort our home form between now and the end of the season we will be in a terrific position to build again. It's then over to Lerner to open up the cheque book again and see what Lambert is really about!!

I think it's commendable that the club is giving Lambert time to do his job. They agreed upon a five stage plan from the start and are giving him time to do the job. Even though there have been many hiccoughs. I hate it when clubs fire managers, without good reason.

Though, Laudrup getting the sack doesn't surprise me. Even though he is regarded as a football god in Denmark and his footballing brain cannot be questioned, there were times when he was the coach in Brøndby where the players were frustrated that he didn't actually want to communicate with them. He's just doesn't seem to be a people's guy.

Another coach I know well from Denmark is Meulensteen. He was a disaster in Denmark. IMO be glad we don't have him.

There has been progress with Lambert. The players are working hard and long may that continue.

Does anyone really think Laudrup would have played 6 attackers so close together you could have covered them in a blanket as Lambert did against Bradford?

I really want him to succeed but I think he is tactically inept. His line-ups and substitutions at times are baffling.

I have no confidence that even with a team of better players he would organise them properly.

I genuinely think someone else could do better with this bunch of players; I'm willing to forgive some of his buys because all managers sign duds.

• Like 1

Equally there are a lot of anti Lambert people on here it would seem.

Would say I am definitely one of them.

Does anyone really think Laudrup would have played 6 attackers so close together you could have covered them in a blanket as Lambert did against Bradford?

I really want him to succeed but I think he is tactically inept. His line-ups and substitutions at times are baffling.

I have no confidence that even with a team of better players he would organise them properly.

I genuinely think someone else could do better with this bunch of players; I'm willing to forgive some of his buys because all managers sign duds.

Go on then, give us some names..

A part of you thinks he's reluctant to leave knowing there's little chance of a club of villa's stature taking him on currently.

But a bigger part (and one I hope is correct) is why would he sign on for another 3 season to continue working under the difficult restrictions he presently is.

I don't want him sacked but equally he still has plenty to prove...I haven't enjoyed a lot of the"football" we've played so I want to see some sort of decent style of play develop.

• Like 1

Rollover for soundVilla have appointed three managers since Martin O’Neill left in August 2010 and Lerner is reluctant to avoid any more upheaval at the club.

Yeh, that's not what he means, is it?

Bloody illiterate sports journalists.

Means correcting personal mistakes that have cost in the excess of 10m, appointing the ginger (he stall not be named) and MON's unsanctioned spending sprees etc.

Um, no, it doesn't.

The journalist could have said, "Lerner is reluctant to cause any more upheaval at the club." or "Lerner is keen to avoid any more upheaval at the club."

But saying he is reluctant to avoid upheaval in fact means he wants to have upheaval.

Which is why I said he didn't mean what he said and that he is illiterate.

• Like 3

Â