Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

4 hours ago, sne said:

This picture illustrates why I don't like the new Euro tournament set up.

sverigeforutsattning.png

It's in Swedish, but in short it explains how the results in the last games will determine if Sweden can go through.

Green we'll advance as #2 in the group

Yellow as #3

Red we're knocked out

Blue it's any ones guess, best ranked team goes through?

We'll get hammered by Belgium so it's all academic, but this system is a total joke.

It shouldn't take a supercomputer to understand which teams go through to the next round in a simple football tournament.

Isn't it a lot simpler than that in reality?

Finish in the top 2 and you're through. Finish 3rd and it's a bit of a lottery, but you've nobody to blame but yourself for that ;)

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Isn't it a lot simpler than that in reality?

Finish in the top 2 and you're through. Finish 3rd and it's a bit of a lottery, but you've nobody to blame but yourself for that ;)

For Sweden yes :( but overall it's just a total mess.

Playing in the later groups gives you the advantage of knowing the results in the other groups. Meaning you can play on the results in the final group game. 

It's just not fair.

Joke system.

Any tournament that a third place team in a group of four can still get through to the next stage is wrong. Its basically rewarding mediocrity.

As Shearer said last night, the quality of the football has got worse compared to previous Euros

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

But think of the extra TV money!    It's a system which didn't work in the World Cup in 1990 or 1994 so they switched to a 32 team format.  The World Cup can afford to do that though, FIFA has 200 members.  UEFA only has 55 members so going to a 32 team format for the finals makes a mockery of the qualification while having a 16 team format is apparently leaving money on the table.  

As a result we get this half assed 24 team format but basically what @dont_do_it_doug. said is correct, finish in the top two and you don't have to worry about it. Whining about not qualifying in third place is a bit like whining when you finish third in the Championship and don't get promoted by the playoffs, you didn't win anything and you weren't even runners up so there are no grounds for complaint. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heffoman said:

Seen this stat on the internet so it's 100% true. 

Lionel Messi could fail to score from his next 147 freekicks and still have the same conversion rate (2/1%) as Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is probably the most overrated free kick taker since Roberto Carlos.

When they go in they look amazing. But his conversion rate is appalling.

Most of Ronaldo's free kicks hit the wall. And it's been that way since his United days.

• Like 2

I'm actually enjoying the new format. I like that nearly everybody has something to play for in the last game because they have a chance of going through.

There aren't going to be many, if any, dead rubbers in this final round of group games.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

Belgium thumped Ireland too.  

oh yeah. but the top teams have hardly been convincing so far. I just don't think it's correct to explain the lack of goals or poor quality games on the increase in teams at the tournament. 24 might make the system slightly awkward, but I don't know, it's quite interesting seeing smaller countries have the opportunity to play, certainly in the case of someone like Iceland they're not here as whipping boys.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm actually enjoying the new format. I like that nearly everybody has something to play for in the last game because they have a chance of going through.

There aren't going to be many, if any, dead rubbers in this final round of group games.

this too. each team has to perform in every game, there will be less resting in final games and should test a teams squad a little more.

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

oh yeah. but the top teams have hardly been convincing so far. I just don't think it's correct to explain the lack of goals or poor quality games on the increase in teams at the tournament. 24 might make the system slightly awkward, but I don't know, it's quite interesting seeing smaller countries have the opportunity to play, certainly in the case of someone like Iceland they're not here as whipping boys.

Iceland would have qualified without the expanded format anyway, right?  And Wales, and Northern Ireland.  

Edited by The_Rev

Still yet to be overly convinced by Griezeman, based on this tournament alone I don't see the hype.

Coman is bloody rapid, going to be some player in the future.

As said before, very raw but Emboolo has a bright future as well.

On a side note has anyone seen that Ronaldo advert about muscle toners? One of the gayest adverts I've ever seen. 

Griezmann was brilliant for Atleti this season, he didn't play well in the Champions League final and he's been quiet in this tournament too (though he did score the decisive goal last week).  He's a good player, has a better than 1 in 2 strike rate for Atletico Madrid which is excellent considering they are such a defensively minded team.  Perhaps the French system doesn't suit him as much as the one his club play or perhaps he isn't fully fit. 

Also as I type another Swiss shirt has ripped.  Did they buy some dodgy ones from the market outside the stadium or something? 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Still yet to be overly convinced by Griezeman, based on this tournament alone I don't see the hype.

Coman is bloody rapid, going to be some player in the future.

As said before, very raw but Emboolo has a bright future as well.

On a side note has anyone seen that Ronaldo advert about muscle toners? One of the gayest adverts I've ever seen. 

Saw it the other day and thought it was incredibly strange. The whole lighting of the advert makes it look like they've photoshopped his head onto a random body.

Â