Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

1 hour ago, Xela said:

For a country of its size, Russia have been awful for ages

they have never been good since the break up of the USSR. 2008 aside they have always flattered to deceive and even then they only turned up for 2 good games

said it before they have a woeful youth structure, decent technical players but for some reason have no speed or tempo in their game. also they travel absolute terribly

33 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I would slightly disagree about Ledanowski. I'd have 2nd best  behind Suarez. 

I'd have Higuain at #1 personally. His goal rate is ridiculous and his supporting cast is light years away from the other two mentioend. Insigne/Callejon/Hamsik v Muller/Gotze/Coman/Ribery/Robben/etc v Neymar/Rakitic/Iniesta/Messi.

Suarez #2, Lewandowski #3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

they have never been good since the break up of the USSR. 2008 aside they have always flattered to deceive and even then they only turned up for 2 good games

said it before they have a woeful youth structure, decent technical players but for some reason have no speed or tempo in their game. also they travel absolute terribly

They play like they truly do not care.

Just now, Zatman said:

Yeah I was thinking when I posted that the last decent team was the USSR team in the mid/late 80's with the likes of Protasov, Belanov, Zavarov. Mikhailichenko and slightly before that time, Oleg Blokhin, but I think most of those, if not all, were Ukrainian?

Loved watching Russia in 2008, Arshavin at his pomp and Pavlychenko had a good tournament which fooled Spurs into massively overpaying for him. They were unlucky to meet Spain in semis after playing them in group stages, could easily have made final otherwise.

This edition has just got old tbh, said it before but given they're hosting world cup in two years time I'm amazed they have so many 30 + year olds not just in squad but actual starting 11. Why not just use this as a trial tournament for young players?

To me Ukraine have flattered to deceive more...they never did much with Rebrov and Shevchenko (their WC 2006 quarter finals was a really easy run before Italy swatted them aside) and were woeful v Norn Iron despite having the two hyped wide boys. 

8 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd have Higuain at #1 personally. His goal rate is ridiculous and his supporting cast is light years away from the other two mentioend. Insigne/Callejon/Hamsik v Muller/Gotze/Coman/Ribery/Robben/etc v Neymar/Rakitic/Iniesta/Messi.

Suarez #2, Lewandowski #3

Not at International level, Argie fans can't stand Higuain with him missing sitters in Copa and World cup final.

Suarez number one these days.

• Like 1

The way teams have set up against us has been quite flattering tbf.  You'd think they were playing Barcelona.  All three opponents clearly terrified of us.  Not sure why, but there you go.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not at International level, Argie fans can't stand Higuain with him missing sitters in Copa and World cup final.

Suarez number one these days.

I don't think it matters what Argentina fans think tbh. Every country has their scapegoat - it's often one of the better players.

I've put these as the results for the 8 remaining games:

• Poland beat Ukraine
  • German beat Northern Ireland
  • Czech beat Turkey
  • Spain beat Croatia
  • Austria beat Iceland
  • Portugal beat Hungary
  • Italy beat Ireland
  • Belgium beat Sweden

Englands route would be: Hungary, France, Germany, Final
Wales route would be: Croatia, Belgium, Spain, Final

I'd argue ours is slightly easier IMO.

Also, I noticed - with the above results - if you change Ireland to beat Italy, then ROI go through at the expense of NI. Would be interesting!

Czech/Turkey ending in a draw would mean Wales play Albania and Italy play Croatia - Wales should be cheering on the draw!

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've put these as the results for the 8 remaining games:

• Poland beat Ukraine
  • German beat Northern Ireland
  • Czech beat Turkey
  • Spain beat Croatia x
  • Austria beat Iceland x
  • Portugal beat Hungary
  • Italy beat Ireland x
  • Belgium beat Sweden

That doesn't mean the 'x' will be the other way around.  Just that I think at least some of them will be draws.

Knock out games. Just play the team in front of you and enjoy it.

Albania or Croatia? Not really bothered as long as their fans are loud and friendly and their players repeatedly trip up ours just outside their penalty box.

Haven't been this nervous for a Czech match in a long while. Turkey have been Russia level bad this tournament, but we have looked pretty shit as well. Hopefully our late game come back against Croatia sparked this team again. The Czechs that have shown up for these Euros were not the same team that qualified. We look so docile. 

6 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Well, so much for Germany pulling an England and complacently resting half the team. Norn Iron are in for a spanking.

Given that Germany absolutely need something from this game, they were never going to be taking it lightly.  That point was made last night in the preview of tonight's games.  Souness and Lennon didn't fancy NI's chances, but you never know !

22 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Outstanding save from the NI keeper. They needed to lose by less than 4-0 and McGovern is the difference between them achieving that and not, brilliant performance.

Have you seen his wiki page.. Someone acted fast :D

Â