Football Manager 2015

hogso

First time I've really ventured away from the heated debates surrounding Villa... and I stumble in to this gem!

Firstly, not sure how I feel about FM2015 so far.  I hate the tactics screen (mentioned by many) and I don't like the navigation system in general.  Use words, not symbols for everything!  The match engine is still amusing too - the amount of goals I concede from saving a shot only for the rebound to be tucked home by an attacker on the by-line is ridiculous.  However, the game still retains much of the usual FM charm and I find myself compelled to pump hours in to it, so...

I started up a game as Very Very Very Venlo (ok, they're just VVV Venlo) in the Dutch Jupiler League (2nd division).  I thought this would be a bit of a challenge, partly due to the whole relegation/promotion thing, partly because I'd have very little funds and no chance of attracting top players.  I made one huge signing (a club record!) by bringing in Timo Furuholm from Halle for £450k and also a couple of loans - Will Keane from Man Utd and Ryan Mason from Spurs.  My incoming transfer activity was completed when signing Fran Merida on a free transfer sometime in October.  I sold my possibly-best player (Selman Sevinc) for £2.7m to Dinamo Moscow and a youngster who looked crap for £350k to PAOK.  The youngster sale was a problem apparently - half the team decided to hate me :o. On we went...

Expecting a fairly tough time, I was surprised to win my first game 4-0, at home to Fortuna Sittard.  Melvin Platje (world class attacking midfielder... well, an attacking midfielder at least) scored a hat-trick.  2 more wins followed and Platje was sitting on 6 goals in 3 games.  What a beast!  2 more wins followed, then a draw, then a huge 7-0 win followed up with a 5-2 win.  The team was flying, we're top and cruising to the title.  Very Very Very Venlo then lost their first game of the season (a 2-4 reverse away to Almere City) before winning 7 and drawing 3 in the next 10 games.  The games' response to this?  A 5-1 loss away to NEC.  Still, we won our next game and headed into the Winter break about 11 points clear at the top and all is fine and dandy.

Apparently, my players all caught the "being shit" disease over Winter and immediate form after the break read LDWL - a crisis is kicking in!  A brief recovery followed (WWWWW) before the team, once again, decided to try their best to throw away the title.  A 1-0 loss away at amateur side Achilles'29, then a 1-1 draw at home to Sparta, a 2-1 loss away at FC Volendam and a 2-3 away defeat at title rivals (and, funnily enough, my feeder team) Helmond Sport.  LDLL.  With 1 point in it, the VVV's managed to turn around some bleak form to record 5 straight wins to close the season out.  5-1, 5-4, 4-1, 2-1, 1-0.  CHAMPIONS! :cheers:

I found that I conceded and scored a silly amount over the course of the season.  My overall record read:  P 38, W 25, D 6, L 7 - Goals For: 108  Goals Against: 54.  Fans were treated to an average of about 4.25 goals per game - ridiculous.

We've only just started our foray into the Eredivisie - 6 games in and 10th; won 3, lost 3.  The transfer window saw me spend £275k on goalkeeper Frederik Ronnow from AC Horsens and then a host of free transfers;  Will Keane (STC) (he did well on loan, after all), Gary Mackay-Steven (M/AMRL), Danny Wilson (DC), Miquel Nelom (D/WBL) and Bruno Furlan (STC).  Their values seem a bit high already - Furlan in particular at £4.2m.  We have a remaining budget of £759k and are £3.2k under the wage budget.

FM2015 definitely has it's faults, but I've just shared all of that with people who (probably) don't even want to know about it.  I know I'll be wasting yet more hours on this game...

• Like 4

its impossible to sell players in this game. Nobody will take Westwood, Lowton or Given and my budget is nearly gone already on a few free transfers :(

Yeah I really struggled too. Just let most player's contracts run down. 

im sure a lot of you guys are cheating in some way to make Villa good. Have tried about 10 different systems and each one is as crap as the last one. Have 5 points at Christmas and conceded 57 goals. Vlaar, Guzan, Weimann are all dreadful and Benteke only scores offside goals. Had sell Delph and Westwood to raise money for players which I never got back 

only surprise is I havent been sacked yet

im sure a lot of you guys are cheating in some way to make Villa good. Have tried about 10 different systems and each one is as crap as the last one. Have 5 points at Christmas and conceded 57 goals. Vlaar, Guzan, Weimann are all dreadful and Benteke only scores offside goals. Had sell Delph and Westwood to raise money for players which I never got back 

only surprise is I havent been sacked yet

Upload your tactic, I'm sure someone can offer advice.

ive tried every tactic i could think of 5 at the back. 3 up front. the team is just crap

only player that has over average of 7 a game is N'Zogbia  :lol:

Yeah it seems impossible to get Villa winning games for me too. 10/10 for realism Sports Interactive!

I remember the days of FM10 (or it might have been an earlier one) when Delph would bang in 10-20 goals per season from 'the edge of the box' corner tactic. This was in season 2019/20 or something though after he'd fulfilled his wonderkid tag.  :rolleyes:

On for winning the league with Villa in my first season, a lot depends on the tactics you use and the instructions you give. If you don't mind getting a little 'help', look at the FM Base website, there should be something there which will work.

I don't lose champions league finals, other than that I don't cheat, well on my new Bilbao game I upped the youth scouting thing to 20 but that's the only way I could think of that ever working, got no one in the 1st year too!

Started Bilbao after I got bored of my villa game, new owner, loads of money, bought the same wonderkids and started smashing it, with Bilbao I've got a bit of money, bought inigo Martinez in January, beat Napoli in the CL qualifier but then finished bottom of the group with Celtic, Chelsea and shakhtar (Drew 5 games lost 1, Celtic won the group, Chelsea 3rd) finished 4th, beat the big 3 at home, was a great end to the season, there were about 6 teams in the chase with a couple of games to go, my top scorer got something like 9 goals but I had loads of players on 7/8 goals finished up with around 70 league goals

2nd season dynamo Kiev knocked me out of the champions league playoff, bought arteta and raul Garcia but I couldn't get a really good striker, ok start to the league

If you think your tactics are good Bilbao is the game

In my first season i can easily get 4-5th with Villa. If you make the right buys and get the right players, you can win the league in the second season. Sure it might be boring to some, but everyone plays their game differently. I get more enjoyment once i get 20-30 years in and teams like Arsenal have been relegated and teams from League 2 have had a tycoon take over and are fighting for the the Premier League.

I'm currently 50 years into my Villa save and both Chelsea and Man City have been hit with points deductions more than once. it's interesting to see how the game pans out after so many years.

Â