Worst sports injury ever?

Ponky

I'm referring to the Paul George leg break.

Do not watch if you are squeamish.

I have to admit I screamed aloud when I saw it.

I have seen some shockers over the years in Aussie Rules and other football codes but this was utterly horrific.

Paul_George_injury.gif

Edited by limpid
added spoiler

There was a Cheltenham Town player a couple of seasons ago that had one of his balls ripped open by a football stud... thats gotta be one of the worst I've known about! Making me shudder thinking about it haha.

This story happened in a College of Surgeons Rugby game. 

Story goes like this, in the course of the game a guy is unfortunate enough to dislocate his leg. He is screaming in agony. The pitch is full of trainee medics and they realise this fairly fast. They call an ambulance but also realise the quickest way to put the guy out of his agony is to push the femur back into the hip joint. They go ahead and do this. Unfortunately the screaming intensifies as a result, the poor guy has gone from occasional moans of agony to squealing like a pig getting slaughtered. Within a few minutes he has passed out from the pain.

The reason?

When they pushed his femur back into his hip socket, they managed to catch & snag one of his testicles along the way and ram it into the ball of the hip joint ahead of the femur they were trying to re-locate. When the bone snapped back into place the testicle was squashed immediately because of the strength of the ligament and tendons attaching the leg to the pelvic girdle.

The guy lost his testicle and ruptured his vocal cords screaming in agony.

Ow.gif
Edited by Designer1

This story happened in a College of Surgeons Rugby game.

Story goes like this, in the course of the game a guy is unfortunate enough to dislocate his leg. He is screaming in agony. The pitch is full of trainee medics and they realise this fairly fast. They call an ambulance but also realise the quickest way to put the guy out of his agony is to push the femur back into the hip joint. They go ahead and do this. Unfortunately the screaming intensifies as a result, the poor guy has gone from occasional moans of agony to squealing like a pig getting slaughtered. Within a few minutes he has passed out from the pain.

The reason?

When they pushed his femur back into his hip socket, they managed to catch & snag one of his testicles along the way and ram it into the ball of the hip joint ahead of the femur they were trying to re-locate. When the bone snapped back into place the testicle was squashed immediately because of the strength of the ligament and tendons attaching the leg to the pelvic girdle.

The guy lost his testicle and ruptured his vocal cords screaming in agony.

Ow.gif

I can feel the pain...

I once played in a pre season friendly against a pro team that were clearly miles and miles better than us.

One of their players was known for being their tough guy, their equaliser should any of the kids get trouble from the opposition.

He was charging down the field with the ball towards me and I decided, for a laugh, to simply body check him. The funny thing being that's what he usually did to others.

At the optimum moment I stepped across him to stop him in his tracks. Except it didn't pan out like I'd imagined. He kept running and I got run over and had to be taken off the field 'winded'. 

After the event, in the local hospital my 'winded' turned out to be a cracked rib, bruised ribs and a dislocated wrist which ended up in plaster. Which strangely made me feel better than 'winded'.

He jogged back over when he'd finished his run and confessed he's had a sense I was going to do it so 'got in first'.

I'm pretty sure Ayrton Senna's injury was worse than anything posted in this thread so far. 

Yep, but he died, and if we include those, the list in motor-sports is endless.

Â