Worst sports injury ever?

Ponky

I'm pretty sure Ayrton Senna's injury was worse than anything posted in this thread so far. 

Yep, but he died, and if we include those, the list in motor-sports is endless.

Boxing too. There are fighters who have died in the ring and fighters who have been left with severe brain damage.   I get the point of this thread but the question really should be what is the most icky sports injury ever, it's asking for something which is horrible to look at rather than what is actually a bad injury. 

Because we are being ghoulish, Gatti vs Gamache from about 2000. 

right-left-right-combo.gif

Gamache never fought again after that. He nearly died on the night of the fight and suffered some permanent brain damage. 

• Like 2

Technically sports entertainment but still worthy of this thread I reckon.

Saw him wrestle in Dublin when I was a kid and some old dude about 60 was screaming abuse at him and Sid Vicious turned around and hocked a golly on his bald head, was pure green haha.

• Like 1

The worst injury I ever witnessed live was at Birmingham Speedway at Bordesley Green in 1985. 2 riders clashed as they were crossing the start/finish line, possibly the point in a race when they're going quickest, with the result that one of them, a guy named Joey Owen, ended up flying about 10 feet up and the air, landing on his back. He lay motionless for what seemed like ages, we all thought the worst. He survived but unfortunately has never walked again. Poor sod.

article-2421833-0216C0090000044D-485_634

I'll never forget seeing this live as a 14 year old.

2-0 down at the time, and we were calling for the game to be abandoned! Glad it wan't we ended up winning 3-2! Couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of all the kids watching, thinking Santa had died in a parachute accident!

2-0 down at the time, and we were calling for the game to be abandoned! Glad it wan't we ended up winning 3-2! Couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of all the kids watching, thinking Santa had died in a parachute accident!

Took us back to the top of the league too!  Not sure who's introduction changed the game more, Collymore or falling Santa.

Didn't the guy lose his leg eventually?

He did, but he also fell in love with and married a nurse on his ward so he probably considers it a fair swap.

Will his children be born with 1 leg? :(

Didn't the guy lose his leg eventually?

He did, but he also fell in love with and married a nurse on his ward so he probably considers it a fair swap.

Will his children be born with 1 leg? :(

No because his wife has 3 so it evens out you see.

• Like 2

I was at the game. Was in the bar when the guy did that so I missed it completely.

This story happened in a College of Surgeons Rugby game. 

Story goes like this, in the course of the game a guy is unfortunate enough to dislocate his leg. He is screaming in agony. The pitch is full of trainee medics and they realise this fairly fast. They call an ambulance but also realise the quickest way to put the guy out of his agony is to push the femur back into the hip joint. They go ahead and do this. Unfortunately the screaming intensifies as a result, the poor guy has gone from occasional moans of agony to squealing like a pig getting slaughtered. Within a few minutes he has passed out from the pain.

The reason?

When they pushed his femur back into his hip socket, they managed to catch & snag one of his testicles along the way and ram it into the ball of the hip joint ahead of the femur they were trying to re-locate. When the bone snapped back into place the testicle was squashed immediately because of the strength of the ligament and tendons attaching the leg to the pelvic girdle.

The guy lost his testicle and ruptured his vocal cords screaming in agony.

Ow.gif

Did anyone else find this hilarious, or am I just wrong?

This story happened in a College of Surgeons Rugby game. 

Story goes like this, in the course of the game a guy is unfortunate enough to dislocate his leg. He is screaming in agony. The pitch is full of trainee medics and they realise this fairly fast. They call an ambulance but also realise the quickest way to put the guy out of his agony is to push the femur back into the hip joint. They go ahead and do this. Unfortunately the screaming intensifies as a result, the poor guy has gone from occasional moans of agony to squealing like a pig getting slaughtered. Within a few minutes he has passed out from the pain.

The reason?

When they pushed his femur back into his hip socket, they managed to catch & snag one of his testicles along the way and ram it into the ball of the hip joint ahead of the femur they were trying to re-locate. When the bone snapped back into place the testicle was squashed immediately because of the strength of the ligament and tendons attaching the leg to the pelvic girdle.

The guy lost his testicle and ruptured his vocal cords screaming in agony.

Ow.gif

Did anyone else find this hilarious, or am I just wrong?

24 hours later and I'm still trying to block it from my mind.  The mere thought is tormenting me and I consider myself very strong stomached.

I would like to request that if you ever see me with a dislocated hip, then please just leave it dislocated.  

Â