Ki Sung-yueng

OkoreLoveChild

To clear up some issues on this thread.

1. Rumours that Ki is in Birmingham and maybe had a medical - UNTRUE

Ki attended a friends wedding with his wife two days ago.  He was due back into the UK to start training with Swansea at the start of next week.  He was leaving Korea this weekend to come back to the UK.

2. Ki is racist against the Japanese - UNTRUE

Ki is not a racist.  At the time of the incident he said though a Korean FA executive

"The treatment he got from the Scottish league, especially in the away games, the people who made noises like the sound of the monkeys in Scotland when he played away games, that is something he wanted to highlight,"

3. Latest from the Korean Media

Reporting no contact from Aston Villa to his agent but this is just words.  Most websites are going with the story but quoting the British press where this story has started.

Ki for his part will just continue to enjoy the summer and lets hope it's Aston Villa instead of Swansea he is coming back to.

For the meantime anyone fancy fish?

xc6j3r.jpg

In terms of the Scottish thing, pure nonsense. He was caught making a racist gesture towards the Japanese and monkey is something they use as an insult towards the Japanese. He said the Japanese are our enemy so I make no apologies so don't start that nonsense about monkey chants in Scotland towards him being the reason, it wasn't the reason. He was caught

Edited by ForfarVillan

Life long Villa fan (father & family born and bred in Aston) now living in Swansea.Have seen Ki play on many occasions for the Swans,don't be disappointed when he turns out to be a light heavyweight boxing in the heavyweight division,that's the best way I can put it.

Our game at the SOL he had no problem getting stuck in and had a very entertaining physical battle with Agbonlahor (who isn't exactly a fart in the wind).

Gabby actually gave him a filthy elbow in that game. I hope they can kiss and make up.

HonestBrilliantFawn.gif

Ki attended a friends wedding with his wife two days ago.  He was due back into the UK to start training with Swansea at the start of next week.  He was leaving Korea this weekend to come back to the UK.

Ki is not a racist.  At the time of the incident he said though a Korean FA executive

"The treatment he got from the Scottish league, especially in the away games, the people who made noises like the sound of the monkeys in Scotland when he played away games, that is something he wanted to highlight,"

Reporting no contact from Aston Villa to his agent but this is just words.  Most websites are going with the story but quoting the British press where this story has started.

Ki for his part will just continue to enjoy the summer and lets hope it's Aston Villa instead of Swansea he is coming back to.

xc6j3r.jpg

In terms of the Scottish thing, pure nonsense. He was caught making a racist gesture towards the Japanese and monkey is something they use as an insult towards the Japanese. He said the Japanese are our enemy so I make no apologies so don't start that nonsense about monkey chants in Scotland towards him, never happened.

Lots of Scots did say this but Cha and Ki had complained about racism before the Asian Cup and authorities never took action and that is why Ki tried to highlight it on the international level.

http://www.scotzine.com/2010/11/celtics-korean-star-cha-du-ri-attacks-racist-thugs-at-mcdiarmid-park/

That article is from November 2010.  There was no action taken and Ki highlighted the issue at the Asian Cup in January 2011.

I find it back that Ki is brave enough to face racism and yet some people use it to call him a liar?

So the article that's started it all said he'd held talks with Lambert but he has actually been in Korea at a wedding.  

So the article is made up then?  Yep, nothing to see here.

xc6j3r.jpg

In terms of the Scottish thing, pure nonsense. He was caught making a racist gesture towards the Japanese and monkey is something they use as an insult towards the Japanese. He said the Japanese are our enemy so I make no apologies so don't start that nonsense about monkey chants in Scotland towards him, never happened.

Lots of Scots did say this but Cha and Ki had complained about racism before the Asian Cup and authorities never took action and that is why Ki tried to highlight it on the international level.

http://www.scotzine.com/2010/11/celtics-korean-star-cha-du-ri-attacks-racist-thugs-at-mcdiarmid-park/

That article is from November 2010.  There was no action taken and Ki highlighted the issue at the Asian Cup in January 2011.

I find it back that Ki is brave enough to face racism and yet some people use it to call him a liar?

So without evidence either way you are willing to say the scots fans are racist and he is a hero? He may very well have had someone shout something at him, terrible if true but I very much doubt that's the reason he did that when he saw rising sun flags....makes no sense

Edited by ForfarVillan

Life long Villa fan (father & family born and bred in Aston) now living in Swansea.Have seen Ki play on many occasions for the Swans,don't be disappointed when he turns out to be a light heavyweight boxing in the heavyweight division,that's the best way I can put it.

He'll fit in well then  :)

So the article that's started it all said he'd held talks with Lambert but he has actually been in Korea at a wedding.  

It was Lee Chung-Yong's wedding, so not sure, maybe the wedding was in this country.

On Ki, only seen him a few times, but at VP last season he was the best player on the pitch, but granted that wasn't a very hard task.

Yeah, one of the worst games I've ever seen.  Sunderland with the exception of Ki were shockingly low on confidence and misplacing passes and messing up left right and centre.  Obviously Villa were unable to punish them and as Sunderland came into the game, we cancelled each other out (although didn't they hit the bar?).

I do remember Ki running the middle and sitting just in front of their backline.  He is my stand out memory of the game.

On Ki, only seen him a few times, but at VP last season he was the best player on the pitch, but granted that wasn't a very hard task.

Yeah, one of the worst games I've ever seen.  Sunderland with the exception of Ki were shockingly low on confidence and misplacing passes and messing up left right and centre.  Obviously Villa were unable to punish them and as Sunderland came into the game, we cancelled each other out (although didn't they hit the bar?).

I do remember Ki running the middle and sitting just in front of their backline.  He is my stand out memory of the game.

Mine was the future King being in attendance, pretty sure he thought the same about Ki ;)

Seems that way. Or we've made an enquiry with Swansea, they probably asked for £5m, we would have offered about £1m, they reject it, we give up 'cos anything above £1m is too much money.

As I said, not sure Ki is what we need in midfield, nor do I think he fits within our team.

Hell, the perfect team for him in the Premier League is Swansea, so the fact they clearly don't want him. Since selling him, Celtic haven't missed him at all. Hell, currently Mulgrew, a fullback, is doing a better job in that position than Ki did. Not to mention that Sunderland’s last charge, wherein the soldiered past us, was totally Ki free, and now they don’t seem interested in buying him.

But still, he might be able to do a job for us, even if he's not totally shone elsewhere. Comparing Ki to the player he'd be competing with last season, I’m going to do a bit of amateur stat analysis. For simplicities sake, I’m only gonna compare them on the most recent season, although this isn’t ideal:

Westwood:

Tkl: 1.6    Int: 1.4    KP: 1.9   P%: 82.9   LB: 4.8  G+A: 5   Disp: 0.5   avgP: 46.5   Drb: 0.2

Ki:

Tkl: 1.6     Int: 0.8    KP: 1     P%: 90.7   LB: 3.6  G+A: 4   Disp: 1.2   avgP: 44.4   Drb: 0.9

Stats: Who Scored

Not huge difference between the two, based on last season, although Westy did play ten more games. I guess the stats just reinforce what is already relatively self-evident - Ki keeps possession ticking over and is neat and tidy with the ball, whilst Westy creates more chances but has a far lower pass completion rate.

Surprised at the amount of passes Ki made last season though - I would have thought that players that play lots of shorter, safer passes would tend to pass way more.

Ki seems to be a lot more successful at carrying the ball forward, but is also dispossessed way more, which I suppose makes sense. Has more confidence with the ball at his feet than Westy does.

Looking at the other seasons the two of them have had in the Premier League tells a very similar story, although in his first season Westy was actually a bit better defensively.

I guess this could all be part of a change in style, but when you look at the other players we’ve signed – specifically Cole – I don’t really see how that’s going to be implemented. If Ki is signed, and this soon after the WC this all does seem a bit premature, then I’ll be behind him – the idea of signing a player good at neat passing and more comfortable with the ball at his feet than much of our current squad is a good one.

But ultimately, unless Ki can contribute more defensively or offensively, he probably isn't going to be an upgrade on Westy really.