Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

The more I think about it, the more I'd like Woy sacked, and I think he deserves to be. I don't expect a lot from England as a football team, but I expected more than I saw. 

Woy out. Should never have got the job in the first place really. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

Baines whilst a good prem player just doesn't cut it at international. Shaw surely has to be given the game.

I'd also drop Jagielka and play jones (even though I don't rate him, but no one else).

Barkley has to play with Wilshire instead of Rooney and Gerard. Lallana to play over Henderson and The Ox over welbeck.

So:

Hart

Johnson, Jones, Cahill, Shaw

Wilshire

Barkley Lallana

Stirling Sturridge Ox

A couple issues there. 1, Baines hasn't really been poor, he wasn't an issue against Uruguay and against Italy he had to defend two on ones all the time. Two, that lineup has no defensive midfielder. Wilshere Barkley and lallana are all attacking minded players.

Also, some of the Rooney criticism is very harsh. His finishing was poor, but he was the only English player creating those opportunities and getting in the right places to have the chances in the first place. It's not his fault England's formation played three strikers and have the fullbacks no support, or that Henderson and Gerrard were poor.

• Like 1

A couple issues there. 1, Baines hasn't really been poor, he wasn't an issue against Uruguay and against Italy he had to defend two on ones all the time. Two, that lineup has no defensive midfielder. Wilshere Barkley and lallana are all attacking minded players.

For me Baines gives you excellent overlapping and crossing, we haven't seen him do it half as many times as he does for Everton and therefore I think he has been poor. Shaw will be the future lb so may as well get a game and experience.

Secondly Gerard is hardly a defensive midfielder either so I don't think it matters. Besides Wilshire for England has played as the defensive mid. We are out, we may as well have a go at Costa Rica, no point being defensive.

• Like 2

You think Roy will drop welbeck? :lol:

I think half our problems have been caused by Roy's insistence on playing welbeck, he's shoehorning players in to accommodate him, should have gone with a midfield 3 to compensate for gerrards legs

I personally think it just boils down to us having good players but no world class players. The difference in the two games were Cavani, Suarez and Pirlo. Rooney is the closest we have and still not on that level.

Fans don't want to see it but I reckon we would be better off keeping a solid shape and hitting teams on the break. We are not good enough to take the game to better teams and the two games showed this.

I personally think it just boils down to us having good players but no world class players. The difference in the two games were Cavani, Suarez and Pirlo. Rooney is the closest we have and still not on that level.

Fans don't want to see it but I reckon we would be better off keeping a solid shape and hitting teams on the break. We are not good enough to take the game to better teams and the two games showed this.

Although I likes the attacking nature of the teams Woy picked, I think you've got a point there. For me, I'd have lined up like this.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard

Henderson Wiltshire

Sterling

Sturridge Rooney

Gerrard sitting deep with Henderson and Wiltshire either side providing some legs and cover for the full backs who will provide the width, Sterling with a free role behind the strikers. Try and get Rooney and Sturridge playing a bit closer together although gives either one freedom to drop deep or pull out wide.

That formation is playing everyone in their normal positions for their clubs and plays to our strengths too

• Like 1

We set up and played to beat teams that are maybe just a little better than us rather than not to lose. I reckon if Roy set us up the way he would really like too we'd still be in the competition now.

He wouldn't have many fans though. He is almost in a lose lose situation.

Edited by Amo69

In retrospect I believe Gerrard was the main reason for our downfall; anonymous in both games and a poor captain.

I still cannot understand the logic of the media pinning this on Rooney?

In the last game just play the younger players.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I'd like Woy sacked, and I think he deserves to be. I don't expect a lot from England as a football team, but I expected more than I saw. 

Woy out. Should never have got the job in the first place really. 

Who would you have as manager?

hoddle

Hoddle seems to pull the wool over many peoples eyes now he's some kind of 'respected' self-styled 'expert' on Sky. 

At the end of the day, Hoddle is a tactically astute manager, but an absolutely disgraceful manager of people, which is why his career ultimately ended in failure and he hasn't been given a job since. 

• Like 1

The absolute worst thing we could do right now is sack hodgson and appoint one of the same old managers who are always linked with the job, Hoddle included.

If Hodgson is sacked, which I don't think he should be, then a lot of thought needs to be put into his replacement. It needs to be someone with the same sort of philosophy otherwise we're just back to square one.