Roy Keane

TrentVilla

As an assistant, I really have no idea what to make of it. I just can't see our "young" team liking having someone shout and rip into their every mistake. I want our players to be encouraged to play football, not scared too.

Gardner seems to be excited about it.

Gary Gardner hopes he can flourish as a top-flight midfielder with the help of new assistant manager Roy Keane.

The appointment of Keane as Paul Lambert's new No.2 was confirmed yesterday.

And news of the Man Utd legend's arrival was greeted positively by Gardner.

The 22-year-old believes he can learn plenty from Keane, who is considered one of the greatest players of the Premier League era.

"Roy is someone who really doesn't need an introduction because he has proved what he is all about," said Gardner.

"He was a hard tackling midfielder, a very vocal player and a great person to have on your side.

"As a central midfielder myself, it is amazing to have someone like him here and hopefully he can help as much as possible.

"To have someone like that to listen to and to take on board their advice is a dream.

"In that famous Man Utd team he was a key player and a skipper. All of his games against Patrick Vieira were fun to watch.

"That's what football is all about. As a kid that's what made me love football."

Gardner is confident Keane will have the desired impact at Villa, having heard team-mate Ciaran Clark speak glowingly about him.

"Ciaran has worked with Roy with the Republic of Ireland and he said he is brilliant," added Gardner.

"I couldn't pick anyone better to learn from - he is simply a midfield legend with such great passion for the game."

It seems there's only Fergie and some Villa fans who think Keane is some sort of bully! Every article I've seen by players past and present and now today Ciaran Clark and Oneill say he's been brilliant to work with. Hopefully that will reassure the fans that need it and give him time to prove his worth.

New Aston Villa assistant manager Roy Keane cannot "promise miracles" in his new role under Paul Lambert but hopes to have a positive impact on performances and results. The Irishman, who will also continue as number two to Martin O'Neill with the Republic of Ireland, has been keen to make a return to the day-to-day workings of football since being sacked as Ipswich manager in January 2011.

Keane, having also been in charge at Sunderland, insists he has no problems being an assistant.

"From my experience so far alongside Martin I am a bit more hands-on with the players, which I have enjoyed," he said.

"It is a different role with Villa but I can adapt and I think my experience as a manager will help because it is tough being a manager.

"Hopefully I will make Paul's job easier. Hopefully I am someone Paul can trust; (I can) talk to the players and staff.

"I have some good experience from my playing days - some bad ones as well.

"I'll keep my job description pretty simple. I'm here to help the team and get results.

"I have some good experiences as a player and a manager and obviously he (Lambert) thinks I can bring something to the party.

"I am not promising miracles but hopefully an improvement."

Keane was linked with the Celtic job earlier this summer when Neil Lennon left Parkhead but it was the opportunity Villa offered - allowing him to remain in a position with the national team - which helped convince him to move back into the Premier League.

"I have thought about it. I've had three years off, I should be ready," he added. "It was the whole package: that I know Paul, Villa is a top club, that I could continue working with the Irish team. "You weigh all these things up and I kept coming up with the same conclusion.

"They (Villa) have had a difficult two or three years but that is part of the challenge.

"I am aware the club is for sale but that did not put me off.

"I have a chance to work with Paul at Villa: from a selfish point of view I think it would help me working with players in the Premier League.

"I am fortunate to be still working with the Irish team, I don't think it will be a problem working in the two roles."

http://darkroom.sundayworld.com/800/0/601f174e7a4993268d57fb13da2b8b36:6900b608d32f0c995cd6a1daab97712e/roy-keane-at-the-aston-villa-press-conference-today

I agree Mantis, I think Lambert's position is stronger not weaker on the back of this appointment.

Completely agree, not that I'm thrilled about it, but that's obviously true and the article is stupid. Think about for even a second - suppose the club were considering Lambert's future. Wouldn't you want to replace him with someone better? And wouldn't that person not be taking assistant manager gigs?

Let's face it, if the club were about to sack Lambert they wouldn't have spent a lot of money in hiring the assistant he wanted. 

I might be slightly old-fashioned, but I don't like the fact he didn't refer to us as "we" at any stage during that. You're Villa now Roy, you don't  refer to us as "they"

• Like 1

Actually think that since Lambert and Lerner had the meeting in the states his job is pretty safe. He knows the constraints he's working to so if he didn't walk then why would he walk now or later in the season. Lerner knows the team needs strengthening to stay up - there's no question Lambert has made that clear to him, so if results are bad he can't really sack Lambert.

I agree Mantis, I think Lambert's position is stronger not weaker on the back of this appointment.

Completely agree, not that I'm thrilled about it, but that's obviously true and the article is stupid. Think about for even a second - suppose the club were considering Lambert's future. Wouldn't you want to replace him with someone better? And wouldn't that person not be taking assistant manager gigs?

Let's face it, if the club were about to sack Lambert they wouldn't have spent a lot of money in hiring the assistant he wanted. 

I don't think the Keane appointment is a prelude to the club sacking Lambert. Trent has been spot on with his ITK'S - and has said this is lamberts choice.

That said - If Lambert did walk\get sacked - Keane would be a very probable replacement, Lerner doesn't enjoy manager hunts, not many managers would come whilst the club is in Limbo - so IMO Keane would get the job by default.

I might be slightly old-fashioned, but I don't like the fact he didn't refer to us as "we" at any stage during that. You're Villa now Roy, you don't refer to us as "they"

Probably because he knows its not a long term thing.

I like this appointment:

For far too long we have been going for the safe route. We are the soft and gentle of the **** league.

This might stop players from slacking.

He has a beard.

• Like 2

Well according to Keane in that YT link he'd only met with Lambert once or twice so the idea of them being friends seems far fetched. As it stand he's just the assistant but hopefully having someone who can just do the job rather than what Karsa and Culverhouse were alledged to be doing, will be a big help.

Edited by useless

Well according to Keane in that YT link he'd only met with Lambert once or twice so the idea of them being friends seems far fetched. As it stand he's just the assistant but hopefully having someone who can just do the job rather than what Karsa and Culverhouse were alledged to be doing, will be a big help.

I think you are talking friends a little too literally, it doesn't mean they go around each others for tea :)

It also says in that video they've stayed in touch and get on, there is a mutual respect and they've kept in contact. 

• Like 1

He has a beard.

We're going to win the league

in a couple of years time i am pretty optimistic we will be realistic challengers for the title of the division we are in

Â