Ecuador v England

andykeenan

Good that fat Wazza, Wilshere and Smalling were all guff - hopefully Roy won't be picking them when it gets serious.

Flip side, tough break for Chamberlain. Surely he'd done enough to get a starting nod.

• Like 2

Rooney is such an ordinary player now. Decent finisher and tidy in possession but what else is there? I suspect he's guaranteed an England spot though for as long as he's getting 15 goals a season for Man Utd.

It was very uncharacteristic of Valencia to react like that. But as was previously said, if someone does a bad tackle on you, on the eve of a world cup, you're going to be angry.

Edited by Voinjama

It was very uncharacteristic of Valencia to react like that. 

Is it? He's been increasing;y aggressive over the last couple of seasons - I'm not sure why he flies under the radar for it; nasty piece of work. 

Is it? He's been increasing;y aggressive over the last couple of seasons - I'm not sure why he flies under the radar for it; nasty piece of work. 

Not just the last couple of seasons, remember this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2310715/Wigan-cling-on-after-Valencias-red-card-lunge.html

I wouldn't say nasty, he is hard as nails though for a winger and he knows how to look after himself. I don't really see that as an issue neither do I blame him for reacting to that tackle it was horrific it could have broken his leg.

A nasty piece of work for me is someone who tries to hurt opponents intentionally and he isn't that sort of player.

didn't he get sent off for a 2 footed tackle on Bouma when he was at Wigan

only saw one clip of the Sterling tackle at time and thought was harsh but looks awful now.

I thought England actually played well last night in stages though they looked awkward when trying to keep the ball, WIll Hodgson let Barkley and otehrs loose when the pressure is on is the main question.

they should set up like this vs Italy in opening game which he wont

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Henderson Milner

Ox Barkley Lallana

Sturridge

Henderson and Milner have the energy to stifle Pirlo and De Rossi which was England undoing in 2012

• Like 1

Indeed.  The ITV commentary team thinking that Valencia's reaction got him sent off is laughable. He deserved to walk and I think the only bit of rationale I can find behind ITV's angle is the misguided belief that you don't really get sent off in friendlies. 

I put the ITV position down to a mixture of stupidity and reluctance to say an England player deserved a red card because of their desire to be super positive all the time. Its almost like they need people to watch to bring money in....

It was a straight red every day of the week even without the reaction.

• Like 2

"I'm not prepared to address your obsession with Ross Barkley," said Hodgson.

"He lost the ball an awful lot of times as well. If he's going to be the player we want him to be, he has to make better decisions of when he turns with the ball.

"That's not a criticism, but there were other performances out there today who merited your 'obsession' more than Ross Barkley's.

"Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones were outstanding, Jack Wilshere in the middle of the park and Rickie Lambert scored a magnificent goal."

Nice one Woy. I agree, he did lose the ball a few times, but he is still a young player and it is to be expected and what stands out about him is that he continues to try even if he fails the first time. Phil Jones and Jack Wilshere were outstanding? Come off it mate and then to finally take the piss he says Rickie Lambert scored a magnificent goal. It was only a magnificent goal because of the magnificent play/run before it by none other than Ross Barkley himself.

Suppose being an Everton lad he still isn't allowed in that upper echelon of English football. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Having not studied any replays, or been on here to garner other peoples' opinions, I previously thought it was a harsh red, so I can see why others did too.

On reflection, Valencia was lucky to walk away from it, so fair dos.

• Like 2

I still don't think it was malicious, however, with Valencia getting a broken leg previously you can understand why he'd react in such a way. That front angle shows that it could of been dangerous, thankfully it wasn't.

Things that annoyed me last night.

1. ITV

2. That Milner is wasted at RB

3. That Jones and Smalling, despite playing for the same club still look like they were introduced in the tunnel as the teams came out

4. Jack Wilshire thinking he is hard

5. Jack Wilshire thinking he is Gazza

6. Jack Wilshire being made of glass

7. Jack Wilshire being praised by ITV for reasons I can't begin to imagine

8. A real talent like Ross Barkely being behind Wilshire in the pecking order

9. The desperation of Hodgson for Rooney to come good

10. The defense of Sterling by ITV for a horrific tackle

11. Did I mention Jack Wilshire?

Jack 'EDL' Wilshere. First man into the brawl.

• Like 2

Things that annoyed me last night.

1. ITV

2. That Milner is wasted at RB

3. That Jones and Smalling, despite playing for the same club still look like they were introduced in the tunnel as the teams came out

4. Jack Wilshire thinking he is hard

5. Jack Wilshire thinking he is Gazza

6. Jack Wilshire being made of glass

7. Jack Wilshire being praised by ITV for reasons I can't begin to imagine

8. A real talent like Ross Barkely being behind Wilshire in the pecking order

9. The desperation of Hodgson for Rooney to come good

10. The defense of Sterling by ITV for a horrific tackle

11. Did I mention Jack Wilshire?

Jack 'EDL' Wilshere. First man into the brawl.

Yet always the first down on the floor after any challenge whatsoever.

Edited by samjp26

Â