Ecuador v England

andykeenan

So true. Smalling is playing because he is at Manchester United, but if he wasn't already at man u they would never buy him. If he had come through the youth at forest or something he would not be on anyones radar let alone in the England team

just seen Hamann had tweeted on friday that sterling and barkley would walk in to germany's midfield...

germany's midfield vs cameroon - khedira, gotze, kroos, muller, reus, ozil

of course this has got the "world class" brigade back out again, hamann is talking utter bollocks, so many people want these promising youngsters to run before they can walk

I assume the conditions in Miami is going to be intense for this game. Surely then Gerrard should have started to see could he cope with Brazil as for me I think his conditioning is probably England 1st XI weakness at moment

Milner at right back represents some very sensible thinking as far as I am concerned. While I know little about Flanagan's ability, I do know that Glen Johnson is an appalling right back who should be nowhere near the side. Milner would be a more than capable option in my opinion.

Rooney on the left is worth a try in a friendly, but if he's not performing as number 9 or 10, then he shouldn't be in the side going into the opening game.

• Like 1

Johnson can't defend.

But if we're playing a narrow system (which I'd like to see) and need to rely on the fullbacks to provide width then Johnson is a good pick as he's very good going forward for a fullback.

But using Milner in a friendly makes sense. I'm sure Roy doesn't intend to ever start him there. But if, for example, we're 1-0 up in Extra time in the second round, subs used and Johnson gets cramp, it would make sense to move Milner back

Rooney on the left is not even a tactical thing, it is by Hodgsons own admission, an exersize in getting Rooney match fit as he is not looking sharp enough.  This is at the expense of giving Sterling the start he was due and giving him a chance to stake his claim for that spot.  This is for me everything that is wrong with the England team.  We are sacrificing the chance of integrating one of the young players of the season into the England team to allow Wayne Rooney to run around a bit in a position that he is on the record as not liking and that we are already well aware is not the one he performs best in.  We have already ballsed up a couple of tournaments trying to accomodate a Rooney that is not performing at his best, I'd hate to see another one go the same way.  Sadly all the signs are that despite the protests to the contrary, Rooney is undroppable and our hopes will be pinned to him finding a form on the international stage that he has not found for years.

• Like 1

That's not really a horrible idea. Milner is a very solid player and with England's RB situation he might be the best option.

Yes I think he's ideal for the position. Always thought he lacked a little bit of pace for a winger or wide man but as a fullback/wingback he should be ideal. I think Johnson is a weak link....

Johnson can't defend.

But if we're playing a narrow system (which I'd like to see) and need to rely on the fullbacks to provide width then Johnson is a good pick as he's very good going forward for a fullback.

But using Milner in a friendly makes sense. I'm sure Roy doesn't intend to ever start him there. But if, for example, we're 1-0 up in Extra time in the second round, subs used and Johnson gets cramp, it would make sense to move Milner back

See, i'd quite happily see Milner in there ahead of Johnson as a matter of choice, providing ofcourse he performs well in the role. I think he has the potential the outperform Johnson both defensively and offensively. Ofcourse he still has it all to prove in that role, but Johnson is a massive liability and possibly the weakest member of the starting 11 as far as I am concerned.

Team

Foster; Milner Smalling Jones Shaw; Wilshere Lampard ©; Oxlade Chamberlain Barkley Rooney; Lambert. Subs Forster, Henderson, Sterling, Welbeck, Lallana, Flanagan, Stones.

Edited by andykeenan

Yeah, I wanted Sterling to start in the WC but there's no chance as he hasn't even started a friendly. Hodgson almost picked my first 11 that I wanted, minus Sterling the other night.

Hart

Johnson       Cahill       Jagielka       Baines 

Henderson     Gerrard

Lallana               Rooney          Sterling

Sturridge

I knew he wouldn't have the balls to pick Sterling though.

Milner at right back. Haha.

I don't get the problem with that, it's a friendly and he is our backup RB, and our main RB can't even defend either.

He will do just fine there. I'd rather he was there than on the right wing.

• Like 1

Milner at right back. Haha.

I don't get the problem with that, it's a friendly and he is our backup RB, and our main RB can't even defend either.

He will do just fine there. I'd rather he was there than on the right wing.

To be fair, as much as I think it is odd, he can't be any worse than Johnson.

Smalling and Jones, i pray that will never be Englands defensive partnership in the future.

Man Utd fans are probably praying that it will never be their partnership too

Have Ecuador got a player called wagwan or is that just me?

All I know is I've done my best rasta mouse impression twice now after hearing his name

Tryina make a bad thing good I guess

Â