Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

its quite funny that I think only in England  and Ireland that 1990 was a great tournament. outside it was labeled a pile of dirt for cynical fouls and was the reason to end the back pass rule

• Like 1

Kempes and Luque for Argentina. Brilliant.

Argentina vs. Peru was fixed. :detect:

I saw Kempes play at the Hawthornes

Did you see Pele at VP?

I did. My first time in the seats in Trinity Road

But if England get knocked out in the semis this time (yes I know unlikely). Then surely it will be the same feeling as Italia 90. Why would it be different?

Nah, I don't think so. I would be delighted obviously but Italia 90 was more than just England. It was everything. There must be a lot of posters on here around the same age (early 30's) and Italia 90 will always that special tournament for them. Closest I felt to that was Euro 96.

South Africa was definitely my least favourite World Cup. Didn't feel special at all and it was nothing to do with England. I loved USA 94 and we weren't in that! If I had to list them in order

1. Italia 90

2. USA 94 

3. France 98 (my first WC as an adult, watched a number of games in the pub)

4. Germany 06

5. Korea/Japan 02

6. South Africa 10 (way behind the rest)

It's not 1990 and it's not in Italy...

Amen brother! 

• Like 2

1990 was a very low scoring world cup wasn't it?

Yeah, but England were brilliant in it. Gazza was one of the players of the tournament and we had the best world cup song ever.  It's little wonder we remember the tournament fondly on these shores.  It's crazy when you think about what the 80s did to the game that it survived.  I genuinely think having such an epic moment on national TV (Michael Thomas's famous goal at Anfield in 1989) so soon after Hillsborough really was a turning point but the World Cup which won the hearts of the public again.

The period of just over half a decade (lets say from Thomas at Anfield, through Italia 90 the formation of the Premier League and the European Championships of 1996) is responsible for the cultural behemoth football is today in this country.  

..and led to the death of football as we knew and loved?

1990 will always be a special one.  I was 11, and remember so much of it so clearly.  I certainly remember celebrating Platt's goal against Belgium.

2006, though, will live on as my favourite.  I was living in Germany at the time so was in the thick of all the action.  Living within a couple of minutes walk of Nuremberg city centre meant that I was able to get involved with the party when the Dutch came to town, when Mexico were there in their masks, and when England played Trinidad.

I was fortunate to go to that England match, and the quarter final against Portugal too.  My other game was France v Switzerland in Stuttgart.  A crap 0-0 but I saw Zizou playing live.  My parents were over for a week, the local bar set up their outside area as half astroturf, half beach and showed all the games in the glorious sunshine of a German summer.

It was an important summer for Germany too.  It was when they finally showed the world that the stereotype is a load of nonsense, that as a country it's a tourist destination, and that the shadow of Nazism is largely behind them.  It was the first time they publicly displayed the state flag with the eagle (rather than just the three colours) en masse since the war.  They were allowed to be proud of being German again.

And finally, for myself it meant a dream come true.  Twelve of the thirty-two teams were wearing kit I'd designed, including the eventual winners.

EDIT:  Reading back over what I've just written, I'd struggle to recreate a more perfect summer.

Great story. I was in Berlin, days after the World Cup had finished, and the feel good factor was still there. It was a great atmosphere in the bars and clubs and the weather was scorching! 

• Like 1

But if England get knocked out in the semis this time (yes I know unlikely). Then surely it will be the same feeling as Italia 90. Why would it be different?

Personally it's not just England and the World Cup, it's football in general. I feel detached from the players more than ever before, and I'm uncomfortable with the vast sums of money involved in the game, when you compare it to things in the real world. I can't say I like football like I used to. I've lost some of the passion I once had. The game is in my blood, and it would take something drastic for me to lose my love of the Villa, but I can't say hand on heart I care like I did in 1990. I suppose some of it is down to me getting older too. Circumstances change, and other things get prioritised. I wish I could get that feeling of excitement and expectation back. That feeling I'd get before a big game. If I could bottle and sell it, I'd make a fortune.   

• Like 1

Kempes and Luque for Argentina. Brilliant.

That one for me, too. Ticker-tape and all that. I didn't know at the time about the behaviour of the Junta and their appalling imprisonment and torutre and all the rest. If I had, then I wouldn't have picked it. But at the time, I loved it.

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

• Like 1

its quite funny that I think only in England  and Ireland that 1990 was a great tournament. outside it was labeled a pile of dirt for cynical fouls and was the reason to end the back pass rule

I was thinking the same thing. Germans probably think it was a great tournament too. :P

• Like 1

1990 was a very low scoring world cup wasn't it?

Yeah, but England were brilliant in it. Gazza was one of the players of the tournament and we had the best world cup song ever.  It's little wonder we remember the tournament fondly on these shores.  It's crazy when you think about what the 80s did to the game that it survived.  I genuinely think having such an epic moment on national TV (Michael Thomas's famous goal at Anfield in 1989) so soon after Hillsborough really was a turning point but the World Cup which won the hearts of the public again.

The period of just over half a decade (lets say from Thomas at Anfield, through Italia 90 the formation of the Premier League and the European Championships of 1996) is responsible for the cultural behemoth football is today in this country.  

..and led to the death of football as we knew and loved?

You are probably right.  The thing is that the generation of fans who remember when everybody felt they had a chance to win is being replaced by those who are happy to jump on the bandwagon of the clubs who have the financial clout to guarantee success.  Eventually we will reach a point where those of us who currently only exist to make the numbers up will get sick of it and go home and football will collapse because the Chelsea's, Barcelona's and Bayern Munich's of the world will have no cannon fodder to feed upon but it will be a while before that happens.  Considering how much the game has changed over the last 25 years I'd be very interested to see what happens during the next 25. It wouldn't surprise me if the game goes back to having a lot less money in it. 

• Like 1

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

Yes and the annoying thing for me about 78 was that Cruyff decided not to go. That was a great blot on his copybook. Clough had a right pop at him for it. Surely Holland would have won that world cup with him there.

Â