Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

98, because it was the first i remember, i was 12, remember being in year 7, and the teachers wheeling tvs into the class rooms and letting us watch the England v Tunisia game

remember vividly the Argentina game, at our house with friends when one of my dads mates got paralytic, stood up and fell over, smashing his face into the brick work fireplace as he went down

For me its USA 94. Sweden went to the semis. The weather was absolutely fantastic that summer. Bergkamp scored a brilliant goal. I liked to watch Stoichkov, was always happening something around him. RIP Escobar.

Swedens team had at that time two central midfielders who was very good in Jonas Thern and Stefan Schwarz. I use the pair of them to explain what I see as important in modern football. A strong central midfield take so much pressure of the back four and gives the offensive players a bit more freedom to attack. As it happens it is a strong central midfield Villa have lacked since Milner left and Petrov was all alone doing two players work.

'98 for me. By that time, I was totally immersed in football, it had become an obsession. I adopted England as my second team, and watching the Argentina match almost gave me a heart attack. Good memories of drinking lots of beer too! (Sober these days...)

Some classic goals as well, I'd forgotten about some of them, notably the two Denmark goals in this video.

1990 for me as well. Scotland, Ireland and England all at the tournament. Its bizarre that I remember a lot of Union jacks at the tournament but you never see that nowadays.

The agony of going out was pure heartbreak. In reality Shilton got nowhere near any of those penalties!

The thing I will also never forget is the sheer hypocrisy of the press telling England not to bother going because they were so crap and saying Robson should be sacked and then completely changing their opinion to say how they were heroes. Quite how Bobby Robson dealt with the media like a true gent I will never know.

• Like 1

Watching the 2002 World Cup Final at Glastonbury with 50,000+ others then immediately following that with Rolf Harris was a pretty epic day.  1998 was a better world cup though. Owen's goal was a brilliant moment, I watched the final in a bar in Magaluf with a hundred Frenchmen, the atmosphere was amazing. 

94 was my first and it was good to see Villa play in green.

98 and 06 are the best two I've experienced but I have a massive affection for Italia 90 from the footage and whole aura that surrounded England.  Late 80's early 90's was the best era for pure greats all plying their trade at once too.

Would agree that it is the first one I remember so USA 94. The massive villa connection playing for Ireland (I have no Irish roots but England weren't there). Romario and Bebeto. Hristo S and that Lectov bloke for Bulgaria.

'98 was the first I really remember. 2002 was great because I was abroad and Ireland qualified, and put in a good run (I was in an Irish bar when Keane scored that goal against Germany... mental). 2006 is probably my favourite because the quality was generally very high, and it had Zidane rolling back the years, and Italy providing the perfect drama.

2010 was garbage.

We're probably around the same age PaulC.

1982 by far the best for me too. Except that no Villa players for England. Coppell instead of Morley who was one of the last cuts. Evans warmed the bench for Scotland.

Brazil was magnificent, but Rossi cut them to pieces.

Diego Armando couldn't live up to the expectations and was sent off after the karate kick at Falcao.

Schumacher almost killed that Italian. But Italy got revenge in the end.

Oh those days... weather was great back then too.

Edited by AVTuco

Â