Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

...depend on him to rock the boat....

Nah Voinjama, I'm quoting Irish commentary legend George Hamilton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNST9aczFI

Keane performance in the home games against Holland and Portugal was definite the best in his career even trumped Turin especially as he was playing in midfield with players like Kinsella,  Kevin Kilbane and Matt Holland and not Scholes and Giggs

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

I try to be sceptical of corruption claims, but it often seems rather blatant at world cups, I think it goes on quite often. The South Korea versus Italy and Spain games in 2002 were not so much 'fixed' as the opposing teams weren't in on it, but the referees were clearly under instructions to do anything possible to let the Koreans win.

Edited by Davkaus

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

I try to be sceptical of corruption claims, but it often seems rather blatant at world cups, I think it goes on quite often. The South Korea versus Italy and Spain games in 2002 were not so much 'fixed' as the opposing teams weren't in on it, but the referees were clearly under instructions to do anything possible to let the Koreans win.

One could also lump Mexico - Argentina from 2010 when Tevez's goal should've been disallowed as offside.

think that was just bad refereeing in 2010, same as England goal disallowed on the same day

Maybe/probably but the offside was so blatant. Although the reactions from mexican players and the crowd were kinda funny when they showed the goal in the big display screen.

There is obviously a lot of people on here at around the same age, if Italia 90 is their first and favourite World Cup  :)

Unfortunately I was a bit too young to remember anything of '90.  

'94 had me with my Soccerstar's free pull out player guide (to which I only ever read up on the Villa continent) and wallchart that I struggled to fill in as the overnight group games piled up.  I did sneakily stay up waaay past my bedtime to watch Houghton's thunderbastard against Italy though, so that was a plus.

'98 was odd - somehow I missed most of the England games - though a bunch of us on a school trip managed to find a TV on a campsite near Barnstable to catch the 2nd half and extra half of the Argentina game - going crazy at that Argentina free kick and Sol Campbell's disallowed goal.

'02 was pretty awesome for me, just turned 18, a levels were over, the Villa website had this highly hilarious article detailing England's group that I loved to read, that picture of the Argentinian team defending the free kick against Sweden.  Hitting the pub early in the morning to watch us blast past Denmark and into the quarters.  Robbie Keane's Robin Hood celebration.  Roy Keane & Mick McCarthy.  South Korea being  subject to some "generous" refereeing. 

'06 was simultaneously the best and worst time of my life.  Uni had just about finished, one of my flat mates and I had moved our PC's into the living room so our daily routine consisted of: 

12pm awake and breakfast, turn on PC and load up WoW.

1pm 1st world cup game starts, watch.

3pm WoW for an hour

4pm Watch 2nd game

6pm WoW for an hour

7pm 3rd World cup game

9pm WoW and switch on MTV2 for background music.

4am Bed.

The only downsides were that Swiss / Ukraine game that would probably still be goalless now, and (sorry to say NV, but a rather dissapointing array of colour-switched templated kits).

The 1st round was full of exciting football (apart from England, who saved all their attacking vim and vigour for the pre-tournament friendlies - one of my journalist friends imagined the headlines after the Paraguay game as "Engerbland") which slowly degraded as more got staked on each game.  But that final and that shot of Zizou trudging trudging past the trophy.  Oh, and Owen Hargreaves.  Oh, and Paul Robinson tonking the titantron with a hoofed clearance.

'10 started off well, with my Panini sticker album nearing completion, some truly amazing/awful kits on show, some entertaining games with the new and interesting sound of the vuvuzelas.  A few of us headed across the Bristol Channel to watch England's opening game in the Fan Park in Queen's Park - and we all have Rob Green to thank for spoiling our day.  Then I hosted a small party whilst we were suitably entertained by Mr Em's stepovers in the Algeria game.  Less said about the rest of the tournament the better.  Apart frRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRom saying how grRRRRRRRReat it was when we didn't have to listen to a game's atmosphere being stifled by vuvuzelas.  "Seven Nation Army" it was not.  Plus I had the Ivory Coast in the office sweepstake.  And because of us always playing like crap whenever I wear it, my "hilarious" banksy tshirt will never be worn again.

...depend on him to rock the boat....

Nah Voinjama, I'm quoting Irish commentary legend George Hamilton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNST9aczFI

<_<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUzTMDksUM

94 from a personal point of view as Ireland were in it. That goal against Italy from Houghton, Aldridge losing the plot at the lino, the severe heat. It seemed Ireland were playing at home from home fantastic support. I did like 98 though as I remember it better I was 12. Watched the final in Spain and seen a load of English wreck a bar but the local police took no crap lol

They played two games at the New York Giants' Stadium. In the 2000 census about half a million people in NYC considered themselves Irish and of course, Boston is just up the road (in American terms, at least) so it was definitely a chance for the locals to support the old country. 

Anyone else collect this in get this in 90? Came in about 10 parts, out every week, and stickers too. Kept it all in a massive ring binder. Really wish I'd kept hold of it.

Italia+90+book.jpg

• Like 1

Â