Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

2006 had an amazing group stages but got shitter as the tournament progressed.

The semi-final between Italy and Germany was brilliant. Del Piero rolling back the years in extra time.

But it also had Switzerland v Ukraine. The worst game in the history of football.

True, that was a great game and also the Argentina vs Mexico game had that outstanding Maxi Rodgriuez volley to win it in extra time...

• Like 1

I was born during World Cup '90 so I don't remember any of that.

1994 I have vague memories of.

1998 was the first I really remember. I remember coming home from primary school and watching the opening ceremony on a portable TV in me and my brother's room with a grainy picture. At school, some kid's dad worked for some printing company who had an World Cup licence so anyone who wanted one go a pack with a huge wall chart with stickers to fill in the knockout stages, quiz booklet, information booklet and other bits. Official England medal collection book, did anyone else have one of those? I had a complete one, including the extra squad players. No idea where it went. The country seemed to feel very optimistic about England's chances, as a Holland supporter I wasn't bothered how England did but it was nice to feel that positivity (and "Footballs coming home" is a great song anyway. A Dutch team with Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Der Sar, Davids, Seedorf, Kluivert, the De Boer brothers, Hiddink as manager... what a team! And that Bergkamp goal against Argentina. Fantastic. Do just about remember watching the final but I wasn't that bothered who won.

2002 let's not go there... I watched the final and possibly the England v Brazil game. That's about all I remember other than my old neighbor who was going senile at the time saying how well David Beckham was playing, despite the fact it wasn't even an England game he was watching.

2006 watched the majority of the games, I didn't think the tournament was that special. Italy got lucky, I thought.

2010 *sigh* what could have been... Howard Webb is a joke and yes, De Jong was wreckless with his challenge in the final but one silly mistake in one game by one player doesn't make for a dirty team.

I'm waiting for the inevitable "Ooh, are the Dutch team going to fall out with each other like they do every tournament?" absolute crap newspaper space filler. It happened ONCE in 1996. Get over it.

Euro 2012? I think Sneijder accidentally clipped Van Persie during pre tournament training then they got over it.

World Cup 1994? A declining Gullit refusing to change positions to fit a different style of play and allow an upcoming Overmars in so decided not to go.

One non story and the other was nothing major either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2161058/Euro-2012-Hollands-failure--bad.html

Read the dressing rooms division bit. You may argue Daily Mail is not a valid source but other papers are saying it too. Arjen Robben even admitted it if you click that link. Remember he was in that dressing room, so knows what happened. Van Bommel said it too.

Edited by Voinjama

We're probably around the same age PaulC.

1982 by far the best for me too. Except that no Villa players for England. Coppell instead of Morley who was one of the last cuts. Evans warmed the bench for Scotland.

Brazil was magnificent, but Rossi cut them to pieces.

Diego Armando couldn't live up to the expectations and was sent off after the karate kick at Falcao.

Schumacher almost killed that Italian. But Italy got revenge in the end.

Oh those days... weather was great back then too.

Withe was in the squad wasn't he?
Sorry Wainy, I just noticed this now.

You're right, my memory let me down. Unforgivable mistake. Screaming for a dislike button.

Edited by AVTuco

Euro 2012? I think Sneijder accidentally clipped Van Persie during pre tournament training then they got over it.

World Cup 1994? A declining Gullit refusing to change positions to fit a different style of play and allow an upcoming Overmars in so decided not to go.

One non story and the other was nothing major either.

was a rumour in 2008 of a bust uop between RVP and Sneijder over free kick duties, think RVP even started on bench fuelled the rumours

Van Gaal is a good manager but I'm surprised he got another crack of the national team job after failing to get them Japorea 2002 with Kluivert, Vvan Nistelrooy, Stam, Van Der Saar, Overmars etc

94 from a personal point of view as Ireland were in it. That goal against Italy from Houghton, Aldridge losing the plot at the lino, the severe heat. It seemed Ireland were playing at home from home fantastic support. I did like 98 though as I remember it better I was 12. Watched the final in Spain and seen a load of English wreck a bar but the local police took no crap lol

Van Gaal is a good manager but I'm surprised he got another crack of the national team job after failing to get them Japorea 2002 with Kluivert, Vvan Nistelrooy, Stam, Van Der Saar, Overmars etc

It's stocking how that team didn't get to the World cup, on paper they could have won it.

Van Gaal is great though, no player is bigger than the team, players must earn their place.

not his fault they were drawn in the same group as Roy Keane

• Like 1

94 from a personal point of view as Ireland were in it. That goal against Italy from Houghton, Aldridge losing the plot at the lino, the severe heat. It seemed Ireland were playing at home from home fantastic support. I did like 98 though as I remember it better I was 12. Watched the final in Spain and seen a load of English wreck a bar but the local police took no crap lol

Mate of mine was in Marseille during the 1998 WC on a family holiday. His abiding memory was being chased by a bunch of Ingerlund knuckle draggers once they clocked his paddy accent. 

not his fault they were drawn in the same group as Roy Keane

"now Roy Keane, you can always depend on him...."

Â