Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

Yes and the annoying thing for me about 78 was that Cruyff decided not to go. That was a great blot on his copybook. Clough had a right pop at him for it. Surely Holland would have won that world cup with him there.

His family was threatened with kidnap and he was threatened himself which is why he didn't go. Family before football. Played in the qualifiers though.

78 was fixed for Argentina to win. There have been a few people to admit it over the years. I also once read that a urine sample came back from an Argentinian player saying he was pregnant, a clear case of sample swapping to hide something.

Yes and the annoying thing for me about 78 was that Cruyff decided not to go. That was a great blot on his copybook. Clough had a right pop at him for it. Surely Holland would have won that world cup with him there.

His family was threatened with kidnap and he was threatened himself which is why he didn't go. Family before football. Played in the qualifiers though.

Did the kidnap thing come in later because he definately never mentioned that as the reason at the time. HE said he didnt want to be way from his family for a long period like in 74.

Edited by PaulC

My first world cup was 1990 when I was ten and I distinctly remember: Caniggia, Roger Milla, England v. Belgium, England v. Kamerun, England v. Germany, Kamerun v. Columbia. 1994 World Cup was very good, but my favourite is 1998 and THAT game between Denmark and Brazil.

I wanted Denmark to win so badly as they had great team but they lost to the finalists.

I've seen every world cup since 1990 and 2010 was the absolutely worst one so far, I think I the whole tournament had just four good games I remember seeing...and that godawful noise from vuvuzelas.

I said my favourite world cup was 1994, but the truth is I only remember 4 games of it. I have a DVD of it though so I have seen all the games and goals. 1998 was the first world cup I remember properly and was the last good one. 2010 was hideously bad.

Italia 90.

World in Motion, Nessum Dorma, Platt against Belgium, Cameroon and that opening game, Gazza crying - it marked an end to all that had gone before, the image of fences, barbed wire, it made football okay for women, for posh people, for your mom. It changed the culture of a country and its sport and it begat the Premier league.

Even though I was only 3 and therefore don't remember a single second of it, Italia 90 did look pretty good. If Hollywood made a movie, Italia 90 would be closest. The amount of big grudge matches, Brazil v Argentina, England v Germany, Germany v Holland, England v Ireland, the whole Maradona playing against Italy in the Naples stadium trying to divide the home fans, the theme music, the romance of Cameroon an unfancied underdog from Africa going to the quarters, Pavarotti, the controversy of Voller diving and Rijkaard spitting etc.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

France 98, it was the first world cup that I was old enough to really follow, it was extremely entertaining from start to finish and had some amazing goals. 

2002 was really good, 2006 had an amazing group stages but got shitter as the tournament progressed, I didn't really care for 2010.

Having watched a lot of the old(er) world cups (one of my sad old hobbies), I must say Italia 90 looked pretty shit, but then given England did so well it's not surprising the tournament rates so highly. 

USA 94 seemed to be very entertaining... I do wish I was around to see Mexico 70 & 86.

It's not sad Dr Pangloss, around 2006 when I was 19, I also had an obsession with watching old world cups. 1986 looked the best, but it's hard to judge a world cup if you didn't actually live through it.

Even though I was only 3 and therefore don't remember a single second of it, Italia 90 did look pretty good. If Hollywood made a movie, Italia 90 would be closest. The amount of big grudge matches, Brazil v Argentina, England v Germany, Germany v Holland, England v Ireland, the whole Maradona playing against Italy in the Naples stadium trying to divide the home fans, the theme music, the romance of Cameroon an unfancied underdog from Africa going to the quarters, Pavarotti, the controversy of Voller diving and Rijkaard spitting etc.

If you've not seen it, I highly recommend watching One Night In Turin. That'll give you a really good idea of what it was all about, and why it's a special tournament for so many of us.

• Like 1

Â