Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

I think I enjoyed 94, because England weren't there. It meant I could watch without pressure, and just enjoy the football. I remember how good the Romanians and Bulgarians were, and that the Germans didn't seem as invincible as they used to all of a sudden. Plus like any one with the slightest inkling of Irish blood, I followed Ireland. Helped by the fact they had McGrath, Staunton, Townsend and Houghton. I was gutted when they got knocked out by Mexico.

Holland ;) we lost to Mexico in the group phase both in ridiculous weather conditions

I was 5 during Italia '90, but I do remember that just being amazing.

'94 and '98 were when I was just getting properly into football though, and I think that'll influence my enjoyment of it way more than the quality of football ever would. 

2010 was rubbish though, really looking forward to Brazil.

I think I enjoyed 94, because England weren't there. It meant I could watch without pressure, and just enjoy the football. I remember how good the Romanians and Bulgarians were, and that the Germans didn't seem as invincible as they used to all of a sudden. Plus like any one with the slightest inkling of Irish blood, I followed Ireland. Helped by the fact they had McGrath, Staunton, Townsend and Houghton. I was gutted when they got knocked out by Mexico.

Holland ;) we lost to Mexico in the group phase both in ridiculous weather conditions

Ah yes, you're right! Was it the Holland or the Mexico game, where Big Jack and John Aldridge had a massive sweary rant at the 4th official? I remember Big Jack wearing a comedy baseball / trucker hat too, at one of those games.

that was the MExico game when he had the argument. think it was about getting water onto the players that pissed him off

That's right. Poor old Steve Staunton having to play in conditions like that, with his "Celtic" complexion! He looked like a lobster!!

Edited by dAVe80

1986 or 1990 for me. I used to love world cup but as I get older I find myself caring less. There were some great games in Mexico which is why I loved that world cup and it was a belting final. The games were not ad good in Italy but it was great to follow England that year.

Kempes and Luque for Argentina. Brilliant.

Argentina vs. Peru was fixed.  :detect:

I saw Kempes play at the Hawthornes

Did you see Pele at VP? 

2002 - i was on exam leave for my a-levels and didnt miss a game

1994 was probably the one where i was too young to enjoy it properly but i was just starting to really get in to football,  there were so many big name players there too, pretty much every team seemed to have a star player like brolin, hagi, stoichkov etc

That was a funny group.  Every team finished on 4 points.

Kempes and Luque for Argentina. Brilliant.

Argentina vs. Peru was fixed.  :detect:

I saw Kempes play at the Hawthornes

Did you see Pele at VP? 

Showing my age now but i was up the witton end but i was about 4ft then and all i saw was one corner of the pitch and have memories of Lionel Martin running in circles. 

Part of me wishes I had been old enough to appreciate Italia 90. I was 3 and don't remember a single second of it. Literally everyone I speak to loves that world cup because of the reasons mentioned in this thread and more. Strong set of teams too, apart from Denmark you had the strongest sides in the world at the time. 

1994 for me.  Houghton's thunderbastard.  Alexi Lalas' hair.  Pagliuca kissing the post.  Effenberg's finger.  Maradona screaming into the camera.  Baggio, Romario and that penalty.  Plus the greatest collection of goalkeeper kits to ever grace an international tournament...

taffarel-gazeta-press-700-525.jpg

friedel.jpg

Italia-Norvegia-79041010.jpg

3091876_570_321.jpg

Jorge-Campos-009.jpg

• Like 1

Italia 90' a great England World Cup, also the first I was really into football I think I watched almost every game. I enjoyed 98 also the first World Cup I spent mainly in the pub.

Special mention to 02...I worked nights and the times if the games were perfect...many messy games getting drunk from 6am.

I feel sorry for football fans too young to remember Italia 90

Never again will there be a World Cup that captures the nation like it did

Gazza's Cruyff turn vs Holland

A Villa player scoring the winner in the last minute of extra time with a goal like THAT

Gazza's tears and losing on pens in the semi finals

... And Nessum Dorma

Made me fall in love with football

Â