The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 29/01/2018 at 16:41, AlwaysAVFC said:

A bit sooner than expected, i’ve got myself an interview this week. The role looks ideal but have a few big things I need to check, and then actually have a good interview so it’s hyperthetical at the moment, but i’m just over 5 months into a 6 month probation so technically I still only need to give a weeks notice but it would drop where I work right in the shit. I have no issue with the place or the manager but the role itself. If I get the job and they want me to start quickly, would you have a conscience and give a months notice or say sod it and leave in a week?

Pretty much knew the consensus here from a similar question someone asked. I think ultimately I would give more than a week if it worked with the potential new employer but would jump if necessary. 

Anyway, interview done. It was a bit short really and wanted to say more but couldn’t get it in. Having said that it went ok though especially as i’m pretty bad at interviews. I mentioned the weeks notice when they asked the notice period. The feeling I got was that it wouldn’t look very good to them if I did just give a week.

One of the things I had to check was the actual location as wasn’t sure. I would definitely need to get a car though, so that might be an issue as wouldn’t have much money to spend on a car that would need to do 60 motorway miles a day, but that’s for a different thread.

Will find out next week.

I dont apply for many jobs, but I applied for one locally that I have over 10 years experience in, its fairly niche, and I thought my CV meant I was not only a shoe in to get an interview, I was pretty solid to get the job. I got an email yesterday saying thank you but other candidates have stronger experience. I am a little lost in all fairness, as it is such a small industry I wonder if my CV or my salary demands were off.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I dont apply for many jobs, but I applied for one locally that I have over 10 years experience in, its fairly niche, and I thought my CV meant I was not only a shoe in to get an interview, I was pretty solid to get the job. I got an email yesterday saying thank you but other candidates have stronger experience. I am a little lost in all fairness, as it is such a small industry I wonder if my CV or my salary demands were off.

I would hazard a guess that they didn' even look at your CV.

I had stopped applying for jobs online, a job will be put onto a site and people just apply without looking at what it is, I think these job sites should limit how many things you can apply for on a daily basis to stop people from just spamming their CV all over the place.

When this company got in touch with me I found the advert on www.reed.co.uk or whatever it is and they had 35 applicants in the space of a week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I would hazard a guess that they didn' even look at your CV.

I had stopped applying for jobs online, a job will be put onto a site and people just apply without looking at what it is, I think these job sites should limit how many things you can apply for on a daily basis to stop people from just spamming their CV all over the place.

When this company got in touch with me I found the advert on www.reed.co.uk or whatever it is and they had 35 applicants in the space of a week.

A interviewed people for a position at my place earlier this week. A 25 hour per week position had 204 candidates, 6 were due to be interviewed, 4 turned up (1 left before we even began the interview because he didn't realise it was a 25 hour contract and couldn't believe anyone could live on that...I started a debate on flexibility etc but realised it wasn't worth it). None of the three we interviewed made an effort to look smart (not a judging matter but amazes me people don't even put a shirt on). One was offered the position, the other waitlisted and marginally passed the assessment, the other was totally incompetent and mentioned how much she hates her current workplace at least 7 times by my count. 

I couldn't believe from 204 candidates those were the best of the bunch! 

2 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

A interviewed people for a position at my place earlier this week. A 25 hour per week position had 204 candidates, 6 were due to be interviewed, 4 turned up (1 left before we even began the interview because he didn't realise it was a 25 hour contract and couldn't believe anyone could live on that...I started a debate on flexibility etc but realised it wasn't worth it). None of the three we interviewed made an effort to look smart (not a judging matter but amazes me people don't even put a shirt on). One was offered the position, the other waitlisted and marginally passed the assessment, the other was totally incompetent and mentioned how much she hates her current workplace at least 7 times by my count. 

Jeez - who do you have screening your applications? Sounds like they weren’t even properly briefed about the role, and, although everyone should make an effort, it’s important to still drop in the fact that candidates should be dressed appropriately for the interview. 

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You didn’t include your salary expectations on the CV/Cover letter did you? 

Tip for all: Never ever include current salary or your expectations on your CV or in a cover letter!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I can imagine how frustrating it must be for the company that is recruiting, it's equally frustrating for someone seriously looking for work as well.

One sites app actually works like Tinder swipe left to ignore swipe right to apply.

It's a joke, that' why I think people should only be allowed to apply for 5 jobs a day or something like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tayls said:

Jeez - who do you have screening your applications? Sounds like they weren’t even properly briefed about the role, and, although everyone should make an effort, it’s important to still drop in the fact that candidates should be dressed appropriately for the interview. 

My understanding of it is that a majority are ruled out based on online tests which have very little baring on someones ability to actually do the job. I had a casual working for me around a year ago who was fantastic, they wouldnt let me just recruit him so he applied and failed the online tests 5 times before giving up and moving on to another company. 

They were definately briefed about the role, its one that 99% of the country would be able to describe and the listing was very clear about it being 25 hours, showing expected hours of work etc. 

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I can imagine how frustrating it must be for the company that is recruiting, it's equally frustrating for someone seriously looking for work as well.

One sites app actually works like Tinder swipe left to ignore swipe right to apply.

It's a joke, that' why I think people should only be allowed to apply for 5 jobs a day or something like that.

Generally speaking I agree (although it couldn't be enforced) but this problem originates in the rules that people in the Jobcentre have to follow, where if the jobseeker hasn't applied for X number of jobs per week they cut off their bennies. 

Didn’t get the job. Could have really done with a bit of fortune. I have no idea what to do, I need to leave as I can’t go on being miserable. Home life couldn’t be better but it’s getting harder to forget about work when I walk through the door.

Hi All. Need a little bit of advice on how to handle a delicate situation at work...

I went on a training course provided by the company in January which I'd originally asked for in June last year. The company needed a certain number of employees with this qualification to achieve their desired partner status, with a handy discount on a product we sell. When I got back after getting the qualification I was asked to a meeting with my manager to be asked to sign a form stating that the company would charge me £1200 if I left within 6 months, then halving and again after another 3 months. At no time before this did they mention this to me.

I've been contacted in the last few days by a former employer and offered a lot more money and a step up in terms of seniority to go back. I'd like to go. I do have the £1200 so it's not like it's going to wipe out the bank balance but how enforceable is the agreement I signed? Can I contest it on the basis I was only made aware of the cost AFTER they sent me on the course?

Thanks in advance.

Is there anything generic in your work contract about financial support? I'm doing a distance learning course and I was given info about paying back proportion of the support for leaving early etc. I also assumed that was fairly standard. Obviously poor form of them not to make that more explicit before you did the course. 

Have you signed the form? / Did you mention anything at the time of signing about this surprise?

I haven't checked my generic contract. I know it's a fairly standard practice and I've signed similar agreements in the past with previous employers. I'd thought as the whole thing was about achieving the desired discounts with suppliers that they were making their money back that way.

I did sign the form and didn't express my thoughts at the time as I didn't want to be seen as a "dissenter" as others had been labelled when they'd refused to go along with the management. 

36 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Hi All. Need a little bit of advice on how to handle a delicate situation at work...

I went on a training course provided by the company in January which I'd originally asked for in June last year. The company needed a certain number of employees with this qualification to achieve their desired partner status, with a handy discount on a product we sell. When I got back after getting the qualification I was asked to a meeting with my manager to be asked to sign a form stating that the company would charge me £1200 if I left within 6 months, then halving and again after another 3 months. At no time before this did they mention this to me.

I've been contacted in the last few days by a former employer and offered a lot more money and a step up in terms of seniority to go back. I'd like to go. I do have the £1200 so it's not like it's going to wipe out the bank balance but how enforceable is the agreement I signed? Can I contest it on the basis I was only made aware of the cost AFTER they sent me on the course?

Thanks in advance.

I've had to do it throughout my career. Best thing to do is ask your prospective employer if they would be willing to make a contribution towards it once you have explained the situation to them. You would be surprised at how many do. My current company paid the equivalent bonus to two individuals that they would miss out on because of resigning from previous jobs. 

They may never enforce it although they probably will as they need another person to certify now and I only went a month ago. I just wanted to see if anyone knew exactly how enforceable it was given the document is dated after I went on the course. I wasn't aware of the costs and terms etc before. If/When it comes up I'll probably see if I can talk them down on that basis to a lower figure and if not just pay it.

41 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

They may never enforce it although they probably will as they need another person to certify now and I only went a month ago. I just wanted to see if anyone knew exactly how enforceable it was given the document is dated after I went on the course. I wasn't aware of the costs and terms etc before. If/When it comes up I'll probably see if I can talk them down on that basis to a lower figure and if not just pay it.

Did you sign it?

• Like 1

Â