Tayls

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I quite like the idea of wearing shorts to work tbh

I do

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

That's fine providing you don't wear socks and shoes to go with them

Socks and sandals

On 22 June 2016 at 20:07, Jimzk5 said:

After 15 years of laying bricks my body is telling me to stop, constant shoulder pain (arthritis runs in the family) and when I'm in so much pain from my back and knees I can't even play with my little girl, I'm only 30 so time is on my side but I don't want to do a dead end job, at the minute my in a good wage, about 28k a year, I have no other qualifications so I'm struggling to think what I could do, I'm happy to take a cut in money providing the opportunity is their to earn more eventually

suggestions guys?

You should of gone UTR or Ltd and earned double mate. 

Edited by Kingman

Nice one.  I don't think I got the postman job, there was an online test where you have to spot the difference between two lists of postcodes and reference numbers under the clock and I ran out of time on the last set.  It says the vacancies are filled on the website now, which is a bit of a bugger.  I would probably have been better off guessing rather than trying to get each one right, which is a bit worrying when you think about it.

22 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nice one.  I don't think I got the postman job, there was an online test where you have to spot the difference between two lists of postcodes and reference numbers under the clock and I ran out of time on the last set.  It says the vacancies are filled on the website now, which is a bit of a bugger.  I would probably have been better off guessing rather than trying to get each one right, which is a bit worrying when you think about it.

Was it the Redfern vacancy? You could have been working with me :D

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Notice (finally) handed in. 

Feels good. Boss was very supportive. He'd guessed I was handing it in anyway. He was off sick all week and I'd emailed saying I needed to speak to him urgently and it needed to be in person, which I don't usually ever want/need to do.

Leave at the end of the month :)

The supportive boss always makes me feel even worse.

I've handed my notice in to two types of bosses. clearings in the woods who come across like you owe them or the company something, and those who seem to genuinely care and are proud you've managed to find a better opportunity. I much prefer handing my notice in to the former, the latter make me doubt myself and feel like shit!

I don't understand why people feel bad when resigning. When I move to a better job with more money there's no better feeling in the world than resigning from a firm that cannot match your ambitions and/or make you wealthier.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't understand why people feel bad when resigning. When I move to a better job with more money there's no better feeling in the world than resigning from a firm that cannot match your ambitions and/or make you wealthier.

Well for me it's because I actually like my boss and I know that me leaving will leave them in the shit.

It's not enough to make me stay, by a long shot, but it's enough to make me feel a bit bad about going.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned before but I'm terrible at interviews. Which makes getting a job really hard for me as I work in hospitality/catering, so coming across confident and talk well is in someways more important than the skills and experience I have, which is pretty good. I had to have an interview for an in house promotion a while back, which was probably one of the worse I've done. The fact that I am good at my job was the only reason I got it, if I didn't work there I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got the job. It was worse than my original interview with them, which I've since found I was second choice.

I've had 2 opportunities this week. One I really want, which wasn't my worse interview but still wasn't as good as I wanted. I was hoping to hear something Friday which hasn't happened, so not ruled it out but lost a bit of hope.

The second I've not been offered but I think is mine if I want it, when I speak to them again next week.

I've been looking for a new role for a while as I wanted to sort it before I started hating my current job. I've reached that point though now and really want to leave. This role is a little more money and will give me some new experience but I'm really not sure what the opportunities are going to be like in the future. I'd rather not go into a job knowing I'd have to leave a company to progress. There's always a chance it will happen but I at least want there to be some opportunity.

The role that I might not get, did excite me and is something I would get a lot out of and career potential is unlimited. This is making the other one seem wrong for me, I'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 20:28, sharkyvilla said:

Can I ask if you don't mind what was the salary being offered for the postman job? I've often wondered about doing something a bit more active.

25 minutes ago, tinker said:

How many years service do you have? Hourly or salaried? I have 20 and hourly . Brave move , good luck.

8 years, salaried.

Don't worry, I'm not on the good pension so it makes little difference to me :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Can I ask if you don't mind what was the salary being offered for the postman job? I've often wondered about doing something a bit more active.

Sorry I can't remember off hand, I think it was about £10 an hour.  I'm sure you can find out somewhere online though.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I try to stick to about 2 :P 

Pretty much, I've been at my current company for just over 2 and I'm expecting to resign this week. Sadly the best way to make more money in London is to move jobs, plus I find office environments to get really stale after a couple of years. 

Â