$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The problem that England has over other leagues is that due to work permit laws etc it is hard to attract an unproven with high potential player from anywhere outside of Europe. Therefore if these potential new owners wanted to bring in Brazilians etc it would be a hard struggle.

Good point actually. I guess they could always establish a link with a feeder club abroad as other clubs do.

Possibly but then wouldn't it just be easier to buy the feeder club than us? If the player does well there they would still be able to sell at a profit

I'm sure they wouldn't want to be associated with a team doing poorly.

But wouldn't Doyen owning us be a conflict of interest. If they're loaning other teams money and owning us at the same time?

I think the set up of the separate company with independent backers would alleviate any concerns of a conflict of interest.

• Like 1

I thought third party ownership of players was banned in the Premiership, poss all English leagues?

It is, but this crowd don't own the players, they loan the money to buy the players

The problem that England has over other leagues is that due to work permit laws etc it is hard to attract an unproven with high potential player from anywhere outside of Europe. Therefore if these potential new owners wanted to bring in Brazilians etc it would be a hard struggle.

Good point actually. I guess they could always establish a link with a feeder club abroad as other clubs do.

Possibly but then wouldn't it just be easier to buy the feeder club than us? If the player does well there they would still be able to sell at a profit

I don't like the sound of this.

I can't see how this would benefit our club. Yes, we may see some young talented players at our club but not for long. Soon as they came profitable they'd be sold.

We would be a club with no limited potential, as everytime we would form a half decent side, the best players would be sold and we would be back at square 1.

I guess though I suppose smaller clubs can't sell their assets for as much as a Premier League club would.

I thought third party ownership of players was banned in the Premiership, poss all English leagues?

It is, but this crowd don't own the players, they loan the money to buy the players

They do both. Here is a list of players that they part-own.

Edited by Isa

There is zero chance that this group would be looking to buy a Premier League club.  Their business is lending clubs money to buy players.  What are they going to do, let all the players on their books play for Villa and then lend other clubs the money to buy the players off us?  The two hundred million they are looking to invest is surely for keeping their business model ticking over and expanding, not for buying actual football clubs.

I don't know how I'd feel about this Doyen group, if the rumour turned out to be more than that. They seem to have plans in place and obviously some knowledge/contacts regarding promising players, however, would they buy a team to make them a success, or just to make a profit?

I guess their obvious goal would be to make a profit, but they partially own some top young talent that would improve us, Leandro Damiao and Luc Castagnios would be more than welcome to join Villa for example.

Remember this all stems from Tevfik Eren apparently wanting to buy a club in the Premier League, I'm just stringing together the pieces of info regarding him and the sports arm of the Doyen Group that he financially backs/owns.

The only profit possible is when they sell

Not necessarily. There are two other profits streams available -

1) The good one. We win things, we earn prize money, we sell more merchandise. Profit.

2) The bad one. They leverage their current business model by owning Villa as a separate organisation who then borrows money from the parent organisation in order to sign players who are represented by the parent organisation. This means that THEY would make profit, but Villa would potentially be in a precarious position.

Fair enough but to win things you have to seriously spend money and that brings the profit down if there is any at all. It's one thing getting for 6th and a whole other game getting to 1st

Why would you buy a club... then lend competitors money to buy players to compete with the club you've just bought?

That's a very simple way of putting it, but I think owning a club kind of interferes with their business plan.

• Like 2

Fair enough but to win things you have to seriously spend money and that brings the profit down if there is any at all. It's one thing getting for 6th and a whole other game getting to 1st

Do you know how many shirts Villa sell?

Do you know how many shirts Man Utd sell?

Similarly the advertising and marketing deals are worlds apart.  There's money to be made from the Premier League if you do it right.

Why would you buy a club... then lend competitors money to buy players to compete with the club you've just bought?

That's a very simple way of putting it, but I think owning a club kind of interferes with their business plan.

Yes very true and I'm sure you stuck your ! on Bob Rich didn't you?

There is zero chance that this group would be looking to buy a Premier League club.  Their business is lending clubs money to buy players.  What are they going to do, let all the players on their books play for Villa and then lend other clubs the money to buy the players off us?  The two hundred million they are looking to invest is surely for keeping their business model ticking over and expanding, not for buying actual football clubs.

But what they are suggesting is a different company with different backers just to buy a club, it would be separate to their other business although I imagine they would take advantage of this separate company to help build any club they bought.

Doubt it means much but Weimann gave an interview whilst on international duty and was asked about Lerner selling up.

He said he knows about statement (of course) and claims there is no buyer and it could take months or years.

Link here -> http://www.laola1.at/de/fussball/oefb-nationalteam/a-team/aut-isl-weimanns-luft-nach-oben/page/85817-366-54-974-.html

„Ich weiß auch nur, dass der Präsident öffentlich gesagt hat, er will den Verein verkaufen. Aber er hat noch keinen, der ihn kaufen will. Ich glaube, dass kann Monate oder Jahre dauern. Keine Ahnung, wie es weiter geht.“

(use google translate)

(You could argue he wouldn't know the full story or it's a throw away comment etc but I really think there is nothing at the moment)

Yes very true and I'm sure you stuck your ! on Bob Rich didn't you?

I stuck it on an American based consortium. I have no idea who is buying our club, only some info I was passed on a couple of weeks back.

• Like 2

Do you know how many shirts Villa sell?

Do you know how many shirts Man Utd sell?

Similarly the advertising and marketing deals are worlds apart.  There's money to be made from the Premier League if you do it right.

Shirt sales are paltry compared to what most people think. United sell about 1.4 million shirts a year, of that, they make about £2 from shirts sold by third parties, and £15 sold in the club shop. The money, as you say, is in sponsorship, which increases based on brand visibility, rather than shirt sales

Doubt it means much but Weimann gave an interview whilst on international duty and was asked about Lerner selling up.

He said he knows about statement (of course) and claims there is no buyer and it could take months or years.

Link here -> http://www.laola1.at/de/fussball/oefb-nationalteam/a-team/aut-isl-weimanns-luft-nach-oben/page/85817-366-54-974-.html

„Ich weiß auch nur, dass der Präsident öffentlich gesagt hat, er will den Verein verkaufen. Aber er hat noch keinen, der ihn kaufen will. Ich glaube, dass kann Monate oder Jahre dauern. Keine Ahnung, wie es weiter geht.“

(use google translate)

(You could argue he wouldn't know the full story or it's a throw away comment etc but I really think there is nothing at the moment)

It says something like "I know also only that the President has openly said he will sell the club. But he has not already got a buyer - that could take months or years. I don't know what happens next." - there, learning german has it's uses.