Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

If you cant see the lunacy of this formatiom, then I don't know.

I don't think you can possibly get a formation more negative than this

Well, it's obvious we can't lose this game. Palace are good on the counter attack, if we go at them we'll lose. Not losing this game is more important than winning imo. It's not a philosophy I like but on this occasion I think it's correct.
Hoping for a point against Palace.

That just gets me going :)

What formation/team would you play then to setup for a win?

We have players on the bench who can come on and change it. If we start with them all the only changes we can make are negative ones.

442 I think was what I said.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bertrand

Albrighton Westwood Delph Tonev

Holt whoever not named weimann

Simple formation. Everyone knows what to do and who to pass it to.

But hoof and pray it is

That midfield of 4 will get murdered against Palaces' 5.

Could just replace it with KEA and match the midfield five. Either way, it's better than 5 in the back.

While we have had our defensive problems, most of them have been self afflicted. Inviting the pressure will do nothing more than inviting the inevitable flukey goal.

We have had a torrential time scoring and this formation will do nothing to appease that.

• Like 1

Lambert doesn't want to disrupt his central midfield trio of Delph - Westwood - El Ahmadi.

I'm not saying whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but all his choices are revolving around that.

I think he'll be hoping Lowton will be crossing a fair share of ball from the right, hence why there's no Albrighton at the start (whose inclusion would also unsettle the midfield 3) and on the left that Bertrand, Delph and Gabby's movement from deeper positions can unsettle and overload their right flank.

I would be quite content with a point. Take any that you can get.

Whenever we've had a fully fit starting 11 and played 4-3-3 we've done well. 

The players know how to link up in that case so I think trying to preserve it is a good idea. 

Could just replace it with KEA and match the midfield five. Either way, it's better than 5 in the back.

While we have had our defensive problems, most of them have been self afflicted. Inviting the pressure will do nothing more than inviting the inevitable flukey goal.

We have had a torrential time scoring and this formation will do nothing to appease that.

Yeah I do see your point of view. I just think it will be better to keep things tight for the first 45-70minutes (depending how it goes) and then change things around to try and nick a win. This villa team are incapable of playing well for 90 minutes, we seem to do it in little bursts so I'd keep things level, then change things towards the end of the game and hope we have one of those bursts.

For me, I'm completely in agreement with Kwan. Lambert needs to pull something out of the hat here. I won't judge anything until the game is over - maybe it's a tactical masterstroke - but that team looks well set up to grind out a 0-0 draw in a boring and frustrating meat grinder. I'd be disappointed with that formation and teamsheet at the Etihad, but to be selecting it at Selhurst Park, against the team with the lowest number of goals scored at home, is mortifying. Where is a goal going to come from?

For me, I'm completely in agreement with Kwan. Lambert needs to pull something out of the hat here. I won't judge anything until the game is over - maybe it's a tactical masterstroke - but that team looks well set up to grind out a 0-0 draw in a boring and frustrating meat grinder. I'd be disappointed with that formation and teamsheet at the Etihad, but to be selecting it at Selhurst Park, against the team with the lowest number of goals scored at home, is mortifying. Where is a goal going to come from?

I'd struggle to see where a goal is coming from regardless of what formation we play.:P

I'd struggle to see where a goal is coming from regardless of what formation we play. :P

From Grant Holt of course!

Yeah I do see your point of view. I just think it will be better to keep things tight for the first 45-70minutes (depending how it goes) and then change things around to try and nick a win. This villa team are incapable of playing well for 90 minutes, we seem to do it in little bursts so I'd keep things level, then change things towards the end of the game and hope we have one of those bursts.
The worst part is that I completely understand where Lambert is coming from.

But this Palace team has less goals than us. Before the Cardiff game I think they had only scored one goal from open play since the turn of the new year.

Even if you consider all our injuries, you would think that he recognized no amount of players in the back will cover up for a bone headed error, which is what a LOT of our goals have been during this bad run.

Lamberts answer used to be, "Sod it, we have to score."

Now his answer is, "Well, hopefully they don't score."

Whatever the situation and injuries may be, I would prefer not to become the team that sets out 5 defenders hoping to knick it from Palace of all teams.

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

Sorry to bore some with the same line but no way would the same people defending playing not to lose away to Palace defend McLeish if he had done the same.

Sorry to bore some with the same line but no way would the same people defending playing not to lose away to Palace defend McLeish if he had done the same.

Depends on the situation and the players available.

As I said earlier, 5-3-2 can quickly change to 3-5-2 and can be quite attacking.

If Lambert had have picked Heskey to play left wing and Hutton right wing then i'd be moaning. But the team is balanced and can work.

• Like 2

As I said earlier, 5-3-2 can quickly change to 3-5-2 and can be quite attacking.

If Lambert had have picked Heskey to play left wing and Hutton right wing then i'd be moaning. But the team is balanced and can work.

Oh god, I really didn't ever want to remember Heskey on the wing..

When have we ever played a 3-5-2 that doesn't revert into a 5-3-------2 this season?