Leicester City

Villan4Life

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Pearson built the team and Leicester had great momentum going into the following season. Ranieri carried it forward but for me  its 90% of the credit goes to the players.  Sign of a great manager is one who can turn around a bad situation. Ranieri failed in that aspect this season. He was great when the team were winning though.

Title challenging momentum? I really don't think so! 

22 points from the final 9 games at the end of the 2014/15 season was the best in the league and title winning form. Not taking anything away from Ranieri but it was the right time right place for him. Vardy best goal scoring run in the history of the league. Mahrez sensational.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

22 points from the final 9 games at the end of the 2014/15 season was the best in the league and title winning form. Not taking anything away from Ranieri but it was the right time right place for him. Vardy best goal scoring run in the history of the league. Mahrez sensational.

It's worth checking again who their fixtures were in that nine game run. 

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

doesn't matter

You're right, it's just as easy to get wins against West Ham, West Brom, Swansea, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton and QPR as it is Spurs, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton...

'Title winning form' would have been beating all the teams in the league regularly enough to finish first, not a few results against the worst teams in the league.

Edited by a m ole

Interesting comments from Kevin Phillips today suggesting Shakespeare was the main reason for the title win rather than The tinkerman ?

Edited by tonyh29

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Interesting comments from Kevin Phillips today suggesting Shakespeare was the main reason for the title win rather than The tinkerman ?

Who knows. Thing like this always get said though. If Shakespeare goes on to have a longer managerial career, it's guaranteed that at some point he will not do so well and be sacked, and people will start calling him shit and talk about some other guy who is the managerial messiah. The way people talk, you'd be forgiven for thinking that there isn't a single good manager in world football and their success is down to any number of other factors. The truth as always is probably somewhere right down the middle.

Edited by a m ole

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Pearson built the team and Leicester had great momentum going into the following season. Ranieri carried it forward but for me  its 90% of the credit goes to the players.  Sign of a great manager is one who can turn around a bad situation. Ranieri failed in that aspect this season. He was great when the team were winning though.

So hang on... Does Mourinho not take credit for Chelsea's last title win seeing as he lost the dressing room the following season? 

I don't think you can say with any confidence at all where to portion the credit, to be honest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Not taking anything away from Ranieri but it was the right time right place for him. Vardy best goal scoring run in the history of the league. Mahrez sensational.

Yeah, you can't win the league with pissing Leicester City and that rag tag bunch of players without having them all peaking at the same time. You still have to go and do it and whatever his methods, it worked. He managed Leicester City to the title. Leicester. City. It'll never truly sink in. 

Do you know what they had won before that? 3 league cups. 2 of them under Martin O'Neill which was considered sensational at the time. Maybe that was just the players too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So hang on... Does Mourinho not take credit for Chelsea's last title win seeing as he lost the dressing room the following season? 

I don't think you can say with any confidence at all where to portion the credit, to be honest. 

Mourinho has won three titles with Chelsea and two champions leagues with less than major clubs so no-one can question his credentials

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah, you can't win the league with pissing Leicester City and that rag tag bunch of players without having them all peaking at the same time. You still have to go and do it and whatever his methods, it worked. He managed Leicester City to the title. Leicester. City. It'll never truly sink in. 

Do you know what they had won before that? 3 league cups. 2 of them under Martin O'Neill which was considered sensational at the time. Maybe that was just the players too. 

I know it was a fantastic achievement. Oneill built the teams himself though.

Anyway tonight must be their biggest game in their history. Anyone fancy they can do it?

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

If Pearson built that team why is he being overlooked for jobs currently? Leicester recruitment deserve credit. Not Pearson.

Because he upsets too many people. Yes I agree the recruitment prior to this season was good.

22 hours ago, PaulC said:

So, er, 90% of the credit always goes to the players that win the league?  Chelsea, currently 90% players and 10% Conte?

19 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I read it based on the above, to be honest it sounded pretty much like the usual assistant role.

Â