• Very Good
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

From the Beeb

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert: "I have been here nearly two seasons but that is the best one victory we have had. It was a fantastic team performance.

"Ramires was a shocker. That was a leg breaker. If anyone says different I disagree. The first red card is a little tug. The second one is a no brainer.

"We were worthy. We were up against a team vying to win Champions League. It was an extraordinary effort. We were well worth the win.

"Jose Mourinho is no shrinking violet. Hopefully I will have a drink and a fight with him after."

May have added a bit there..........

• Like 2

Mourinho and Lambert have a strange relationship. They go from inside joke giggling best buddies to homicidal hatred for each other. Bizarre.

I don't think Mourinho has any hatred for Lambert to be honest, he was very willing to shake his hand afterwards. It was the ref he seemed most unhappy with.
Jose shook Lamberts hand as he left when sent off.

And Lambert gave him an awesomely condescending little pat on the head. Excellent.

• Like 3

When I saw the 4-3-3 instead of the 'lets take a point, maybe' 5-3-2, I got down.

Never going to work .... but those 3 in the midfield worked their socks off in the most impressive way.

Bennett with good interceptions, Vlaar/Baker very solid, Benteke close to another wonder-goal. Bacuna didnt set a foot wrong.

What team was I watching and what have you done with my Villa?!?!?!

Delph MOTM, of course.

Edited by Villain4Life

Keys and Gray still banging on about Mourinho, but little mention of the fact we had the better chances in the game.

The goal notwithstanding, we also had a shot tipped onto the bar and Benteke had 2 testing shots. Can only remember Guzan having to stop a scramble in the box early in the second half.

• Like 4

What a win!

Delph just pips KEA to my motm for that stunning finish; the pause to see if it went in before going mental; and the pst match interview where he was angry at himself for not scoring again. His attitude is spot on. Yet Tom Cleverley keeps getting in the England squad LOL.

Bacuna was brilliant again. Bennett played really well and took a vital booking for the team. Baker was top yet again, keeping (the better technically) Clark out of the team at the moment and rightly so. Vlaar is a man who makes me go weak at the knees  :wub:

Midfield three were sensational today given what they were up against. I think if we sign an attacking midfielder it would be KEA to make way but with performances like the last few weeks it gets increasingly hard to drop him.

Benteke was great today, yeah he didn't score but he was a nightmare for them and came very close a couple of times. Weimann keeps harrying and keeps the opposition guessing. Gabby was quiet but the substitution for Marc was the correct move and he really exploited them once they were down to ten.

I think this is probably our best performance of the season. Clean sheet and beating the best team in the league (IMO), amazing.

When was the last time we won three home games on the bounce? Bring on Stoke.

• Like 2

What was Delph saying into the camera at the end? It sounded like "Utah Villa" what was he actually saying?

Those Sky mugs didn't give us much credit but we went toe-to-toe with them and deserved to win regardless of red cards. We had more shots on target, they only had two!

The crowd were great today. Best performance of the season, best crowd of the season. 

Edited by supernova26

Delph was brilliant in the second half, he has an incredible engine. First half he gave a lot of protection to Bennett, who himself had a good game.

I was very impressed by the way we fought our way back into it in the second half, even before the sending off, after being pinned back for the first 15 minutes.

Chelsea never really looked like scoring, apart from the handball goal obviously.

Ref and linesman did very well - ok, all of the big calls were the right ones, but how often do those go against us.

Edited by poitier
  • Like 1

What a win!

Delph just pips KEA to my motm for that stunning finish; the pause to see if it went in before going mental; and the pst match interview where he was angry at himself for not scoring again. His attitude is spot on. Yet Tom Cleverley keeps getting in the England squad LOL.

Bacuna was brilliant again. Bennett played really well and took a vital booking for the team. Baker was top yet again, keeping (the better technically) Clark out of the team at the moment and rightly so. Vlaar is a man who makes me go weak at the knees  :wub:

Midfield three were sensational today given what they were up against. I think if we sign an attacking midfielder it would be KEA to make way but with performances like the last few weeks it gets increasingly hard to drop him.

Benteke was great today, yeah he didn't score but he was a nightmare for them and came very close a couple of times. Weimann keeps harrying and keeps the opposition guessing. Gabby was quiet but the substitution for Marc was the correct move and he really exploited them once they were down to ten.

I think this is probably our best performance of the season. Clean sheet and beating the best team in the league (IMO), amazing.

When was the last time we won three home games on the bounce? Bring on Stoke.

When was the last time we won three GAMES on the bounce!?

Â