Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Someone else mentioned Caulker I also responded to him.

No 55k a week isn't excessive for a proven quality premiership player in 2014.

He wont go for 10M. Although he will probably goto Liverpool.*

Lescott is not the player he was a few years ago.

He's lost none of his attributes he has just been replaced at one of the top clubs in world football.

If he isn't good enough for villa your expectations for us are to high

Don't get me wrong. He would walk into our club. I just don't want another 30+ player on high wages who loses form after 1 season and we end up having another Dunne on our hands. All that wont matter if we bring in a new owner. I don't think one will be in place before the season though.

By your rational that would only become a problem in 12 months time which we should have a new owner beforehand

I still think there are better players out there. Were not going to sign 3-4 players on those big salaries. I would think Barry would be a better pick up as our midfield is poo. We do have Okore coming back to partner Vlaar. However i would still sign another CB and get rid of Baker.

We are in a bit of limbo at the moment. Surely Randy wont spend any of his cash so he must know a deal is in place. Who knows really.

I really think people are under estimating Lescott. The bloke is a solid centre back, his attributes haven't weakened since 3/4 years ago.

Its a no brainer, he's exactly the centre back we need, left sided next to Vlaar. I think he'll be one of those players who will come in and surprise those doubters. Bit like Richard Dunne in a way, who actually did in his first season or two and surprised a few!

Hoolahan and Pilkington linked in the mirror..

It means Lambert is likely to have to rely on loans, free transfers and cheap buys this summer. He will still lobby Lerner to dig deep for experienced Bosmans like Joleon Lescott and also fancies Wes Hoolahan and Anthony Pilkington at old club Norwich.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-battle-3573635

Since Lambert is staying... can he go sign Kiyotake before he goes? His club getting relegated has activated a free transfer clause in his contract. Yes please. Low on wages too I would imagine.

• Like 1

I really think people are under estimating Lescott. The bloke is a solid centre back, his attributes haven't weakened since 3/4 years ago.

Its a no brainer, he's exactly the centre back we need, left sided next to Vlaar. I think he'll be one of those players who will come in and surprise those doubters. Bit like Richard Dunne in a way, who actually did in his first season or two and surprised a few!

I think the comparison to Dunne is apt.

We'll probably get 1 possibly 2 seasons from Lescott if he can stay fit, before he loses too much quality.

If he's signed on a 2 year contract it's an ok deal as long as the wages are reasonable (which i fear they won't be)

Anything more than a 2 year contract and we end up with yet another Dunne/Given situation were our highest payed players can't even make the team.

Fair enough if we get new crazy rich owners this won't be a big issue... 

Vlaar and Lescott would be great with Okore and Clark for backup. Loan Baker out for a season to the Championship.

This for me is where the problem lies in signing Lescott. The last thing he would want again is to sit on the bench with Okore hopefully raring to go at the start of next season and before signing for anyone Lescott would be looking for guaranteed playing time.

I agree that Lescott would be part of a good partnership with Vlaar but you would have to leave Okore on the bench and I don't think he or Lescott will settle for that.

The only way it would work is playing all three and I'm not sure that is the best way forward?

So apparently there is a contract ban as such, meaning no extensions or renewals will be happening.

Off the top of my head that means we will lose Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton this summer for free, whilst Ron Vlaar, Fabian Delph, Gabby Agbonlahor and Jack Grealish will all be going into their last year of contract with nothing new on the table.

Very, very risky.

So apparently there is a contract ban as such, meaning no extensions or renewals will be happening.

Off the top of my head that means we will lose Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton this summer for free, whilst Ron Vlaar, Fabian Delph, Gabby Agbonlahor and Jack Grealish will all be going into their last year of contract with nothing new on the table.

Very, very risky.

Some great custodian we have eh?

• Like 1

Very, very risky.

If there is then it could mean that sale is (reasonably) close.

Vlaar and Lescott would be great with Okore and Clark for backup. Loan Baker out for a season to the Championship.

This for me is where the problem lies in signing Lescott. The last thing he would want again is to sit on the bench with Okore hopefully raring to go at the start of next season and before signing for anyone Lescott would be looking for guaranteed playing time.

I agree that Lescott would be part of a good partnership with Vlaar but you would have to leave Okore on the bench and I don't think he or Lescott will settle for that.

The only way it would work is playing all three and I'm not sure that is the best way forward?

Let Lescott be backup for Okore ;)

Very, very risky.

The so called ban is on players not out of contract. Albrighton has been offered one but will get more elsewhere he isn't worth the reported 35k he's been offered. I expect Robinson to sign. There's no immediate rush on the others.

Good back up but not a first team player. I'd rather get someone younger who we can build a team around for 3-4 years...

and who we can sell on for loadsa money.

It a good point you make about getting someone younger in and we all would prefer that but it's looking like limited funding again until a new owner is found so I'm not sure if the funding would be there to bring a younger play maker in. You would also have to factor in the time it would take for that younger play maker to become accustomed to the Premiership if it was a foreign acquisition?

Alternatively with Hoolahan you know what you are getting with him, he is more creative than Westwood and will be a lot cheaper to sign than a younger playmaker. He is also much better than you are giving him credit for and currently would walk into our midfield making it better for little or no money.

Holtby would be another alternative but his wages would be a concern.

Edited by shaggy

I doubt Lescott would want to come back to the west midlands to be fair.

Very, very risky.

The so called ban is on players not out of contract. Albrighton has been offered one but will get more elsewhere he isn't worth the reported 35k he's been offered. I expect Robinson to sign. There's no immediate rush on the others.

It is being reported now that the ban is on all players and as I said in the Albrighton thread, he has been verbally told that the club want to offer him a new deal but I believe nothing so far has actually materialised. Maybe because of this 'ban', who knows.

Edited by samjp26

Very, very risky.

Some great custodian we have eh?

The man is a complete tool and has totally destroyed this club

We wont afford Lescott's wages with Randy still as owner anyway. What a f*ing depressing season this will be.

I'm dreading next season