Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Midfield should be the priority. If Lambert wants to ship out any centre back then we obviously need to get some but I have a feeling Lambert might push on with those we have. Okore will be like a new signing since he hasn`t played squat. And we can`t get someone like Caulker, who would be pushed aside? Vlaar would not settle for that, and neither would Okore.

Powell played with Westwood at Crewe so he could put in a word. midfield 3 of those 2 plus the scary looking guy in a mask from anderlecht as the destroyer with Grealish and the polish chap (who a lot people are raving about after seeing him play a friendly and has played 6 games all season) would be an improvement on what we currently have. Depending on the opposition and tatics swap whoever for Delph.

Cheikhou Kouyaté is the guy with mask who can play central defence and defensive midfielder, Arsenal have meant to have started talks with him for the summer.

Bartłomiej Pawłowski is the polish guy on loan at Malaga from Widzew Lodz.

• Like 1

Lets say he has 20m to spend.

6m on a defensive midfielder

7m on an attacking midfielder

7m on an winger/inside forward with tricks and pace (similar to a young Ashley Young)

(Try and loan Bertrand from Chelsea again)

Who those players are, I don't know. 

Edited by PieFacE

7m on an winger/inside forward with tricks and pace (similar to a young Ashley Young)

Who those players are, I don't know. 

Luciano Narsingh would be perfect for that imo, for me he has higher attributes than Young did at same age and has more to his game! although might cost a few mil more than 7!! probably more 9 or 10mil.

The silly thing is, if we had a better midfield who could retain possession for more than 2minutes it would actually put a lot less stress on our defence, probably making them look a lot better. With the way we play (hoofball) there's every chance the ball is just going to come straight back. When Okore returns I think our defence will be okay. We need better midfielders who can not only retain possession but also a player to protect the back 4 when full backs push up. 

Whilst I don't think he's a great player, someone like Mikel who will just sit infront of the back 4 and break up play is what we're crying out for. Westy is trying but it's not his natural role imo.

Lowton - Vlaar - Okore - Bertrand

NEW-DM - Delph/Westwood

Weimann - NEW-AMC - NEW-WINGER

Benteke

Be a pretty decent team IMO. 

The silly thing is, if we had a better midfield who could retain possession for more than 2minutes it would actually put a lot less stress on our defence, probably making them look a lot better. With the way we play (hoofball) there's every chance the ball is just going to come straight back. When Okore returns I think our defence will be okay. We need better midfielders who can not only retain possession but also a player to protect the back 4 when full backs push up. 

Whilst I don't think he's a great player, someone like Mikel who will just sit infront of the back 4 and break up play is what we're crying out for. Westy is trying but it's not his natural role imo.

NEW-DM - Delph/Westwood

Benteke

What makes you pick Weimann over Gabby? Surely, on this years form, neither should be in the first team. I was just wondering why one and not the other

Gabby has been crap for the last three games, and in one or two others. The rest of the season he has been excellent, and at times held the team together on his own.

How quickly people forget.

I'm sorry but that's just nonsense. He had a few good games at the beginning of the season. Largely anonymous since.

• Like 2

Powell played with Westwood at Crewe so he could put in a word. midfield 3 of those 2 plus the scary looking guy in a mask from anderlecht as the destroyer with Grealish and the polish chap (who a lot people are raving about after seeing him play a friendly and has played 6 games all season) would be an improvement on what we currently have. Depending on the opposition and tatics swap whoever for Delph.

Cheikhou Kouyaté is the guy with mask who can play central defence and defensive midfielder, Arsenal have meant to have started talks with him for the summer.

Bartłomiej Pawłowski is the polish guy on loan at Malaga from Widzew Lodz.

That's the one had a complete memory blank, just could picture the face. I like the idea of signing him, pawlowski, Powell, betrand, & Locadia Achievable for £20 million, wages wouldn't be astronomical and with Given, Hutton, Bent gone We will be in a much healthier position financially and have money in the bank if an exciting signing presents itself ( Depay or Fischer for example)

NEW-DM - Delph/Westwood

Benteke

What makes you pick Weimann over Gabby? Surely, on this years form, neither should be in the first team. I was just wondering why one and not the other

Well, I don't know really. I guess I should have put Weimann/Gabby. I'd personally use Gabby for away games and as an impact sub at home.

Maybe we're at the mercy of our current crop of players to choose from but I'm finding it hard to suggest against us predominantly playing 4-3-3 again next season. Maybe it'll be a diamond 4-4-2 but that would be a fairly radical change from the norm so I'm not speculating that way at the moment.

Whilst this is subject to change the way I currently categorise our needs, considering where we've spent resources in the past two years, looks like this to me (With 1 being the highest priority:

1) Right sided central midfielder.

2) Right back

3) Right winger

4) Left back

5) Left winger

6) Other midfielder

I think there'll have to be two big discussions internally in the club before the summer window really kicks in to gear. Firstly, is Lowton staying? Secondly, what's happening with Benteke. In my case I'm assuming that Lowton is leaving and Christian is staying. Personally I'd like whatever issues there are with Lowton to be resolved so that we can spend resources elsewhere.

This summer should be tilting more towards adding quality than quantity. I think somewhere upwards of £10m may be combined to be spent on a box to box-ish central midfielder to mirror Delph on the other side of Westwood and a winger to give Gabby and Weimann competition for a starting place as both have been poor this year.

I know people are fond of names and numbers cropping up in speculation threads so for examples sake, here you go:

Davy Propper, CM, Vitesse - £5m

Oliver Sorg, RB, Freiburg - £4m

Massimo Bruno, RW, Anderlecht - £7m

Aaron Cresswell, LB, Ipswich - £4.5m

Lucas Piazon, LW, Chelsea – loan

Jesper Drost, CM, Zwolle - £2.5m

Edited by Wes

I'm not that keen on Drost myself, he always comes over as a bit lightweight. Somebody like Mateusz Klich would be a better choice in my opinion. Wouldn't cost a great deal more either.

I consider Westwood really lightweight too but Lambert seems to adamantly like what he does. Drost isn't too similiar in style but he's having a darn good season and his price is only going to rise I would think.

Klich has only been there a year or two (?) and I tend to believe a player is hardly ever transferred after just a year, especially if they're any good! Certainly a promising player though, you're right. His stature would probably suit us at the moment.

Edited by Wes

We badly need creativity in the team...a number 10 and a tricky wide player who isn't Tonev endangering Row N with his shots is a must. And as others have said this will actually help the defence out more than people realise and we'll be having more possession and attacks in the opposition half.

I consider Westwood really lightweight too but Lambert seems to adamantly like what he does. Drost isn't too similiar in style but he's having a darn good season and his price is only going to rise I would think.

Klich has only been there a year or two (?) and I tend to believe a player is hardly ever transferred after just a year, especially if they're any good! Certainly a promising player though, you're right. His stature would probably suit us at the moment.

True. I assumed you were suggesting Drost to perhaps take KEA's place in the midfield though? Klich only arrived in the summer I think. Can't remember who from.

Lets stay away from the Championship Manager fetish posts please.

A left back defensive and attacking midfield is the weakest points in the first team put the 20m on that.

Fans optimistically suggesting targets that they themselves want to see at the club is a hallmark of any transfer thread on any forum. Probably best to avoid this thread if seeing such irritates you thus.

Lets stay away from the Championship Manager fetish posts please.

A left back defensive and attacking midfield is the weakest points in the first team put the 20m on that.

BAaFdYV.jpg

True. I assumed you were suggesting Drost to perhaps take KEA's place in the midfield though? Klich only arrived in the summer I think. Can't remember who from.

Drost was an example of just grabbing another midfielder for cheap depth who had potential upside. My KEA upgrade from the list was Propper. I rather like him. He's got three years experience in a three central midfield system at Vitesse and he's still only 22. He's bigger than what we have, good technically and isn't shy getting forward. He doesn't have a history of being a prolific threat though, but I think we'll continue to rely on our forward three to score the majority of our goals next season.
I think that's what Lambert had hoped this year too, complemented by Delph's runs from deep, but Gabby and Weimann haven't had scintillating seasons by any stretch of the imagination.

Ah I see, you mean more as a squad option at first. Would be low-risk and could add something different I suppose. Regarding Pröpper, I like him too. A pretty all-round midfielder.