Science Thread

Nigel

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah it took me a couple of minutes to realise I had to mute the babble and the shiny smiley super super positive filler chat.

Turned the sound back up on 21 minutes to listen to some moron telling us we’re waiting for weather info when he was clearly talking over the top of the weather info.

Makes you realise why they have so many mass shootings.

The level of philosophical discourse on display was quite amazing:

”We don’t know how far away the future is but we are going to get there soon” 

That was a particular favourite. 

Anyway, I’m off to grab the bins and have another gander at the ISS. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, choffer said:

The level of philosophical discourse on display was quite amazing:

”We don’t know how far away the future is but we are going to get there soon” 

That was a particular favourite. 

Anyway, I’m off to grab the bins and have another gander at the ISS. 

Must be difficult to host a program like that for the US crowd where half of them probably fear that the rocket might hit God where he's sitting on his cloud up in the sky.

And a large part of them probably doesn't even believe it's really happening and want's to burn them as wizards and witches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, choffer said:

Can’t believe I sat through two hours of those supremely annoying presenters only for it to get canned. 
Next time I’m just tuning in five minutes before launch. 

Could have been worse... try the ABC stream on Saturday for the full commercial experience. Imagine ITV doing the FA cup.

Not a great week for SpaceX, unless you count all exposure as good exposure.

Screen_Shot_2020_05_29_at_3.23.03_PM.0.png

A fourth prototype of SpaceX’s next generation Starship rocket exploded right after a test at the company’s south Texas test site on Friday. Shortly after SpaceX ignited the engine on the test rocket, a massive fireball engulfed the vehicle in flames, leaving very little hardware still standing and apparently causing damage to the test site.

The prototype that just exploded is meant to test out the design for SpaceX’s future Starship, a giant rocket the company wants to create to send people to deep space destinations like the Moon and Mars. SpaceX has been building various test versions of the Starship down at the company’s work site in Boca Chica, Texas. Today, the company ignited the main Raptor engine on the latest Starship prototype while holding the vehicle down, a type of test known as a static fire. It was the fifth static fire test SpaceX had conducted over the last couple of weeks.

The explosion marks yet another failure that’s destroyed a Starship prototype. SpaceX already lost three previous test versions of the vehicle during pressurized tests that either caused the vehicles to burst or implode. This particular Starship got further along in the testing process than the others. With this latest failure, it seems unlikely that anything is salvageable, and there seems to be some damage to the area surrounding the test site, too. It’s unclear if anyone was hurt in the explosion. SpaceX did not respond to a request for comment before publication.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/29/21274931/spacex-starship-prototype-rocket-explosion-static-fire-test

Here's hoping the manned launch later tonight goes better.

Damnit, forgot to tune in for this.  Thanks for the video though :).  Not sure if the 3 month old was staring at the footage because it's flipping awesome, or just because it was just in their eyeline anyway.

And those returning stages were something you'd half expect to only ever see in kerbal.

Nailed it, saw the ISS and then managed to see, really faint and quite low, the Space X ship.

There were clearly little kids down the road that stayed up and outside and started cheering when the ISS went over. I think I enjoyed that even more.

Don’t forget to turn the sound down so you don’t have to listen to the fake meatball / worm debate and you’ll reduce the chance at 45 seconds to docking of some fat guy in loud slacks shouting ‘get in the hole’.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t forget to turn the sound down so you don’t have to listen to the fake meatball / worm debate and you’ll reduce the chance at 45 seconds to docking of some fat guy in loud slacks shouting ‘get in the hole’.

#teamworm

• Like 1

Hot debate on Facebook and WhatsApp last night between was it ISS or dragon that people saw ...  fairly sure we saw Dragon as my ISS tracker  had it over Libya at the time of our sighting , but either way who knew people could be so passionate about a white light  zipping across the sky .

watching it dock now on tv  , I imagine from last nights conversations that some friends will say No you doofus you’re watching Moonraker on tv.

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hot debate on Facebook and WhatsApp last night between was it ISS or dragon that people saw ...  fairly sure we saw Dragon as my ISS tracker  had it over Libya at the time of our sighting , but either way who knew people could be so passionate about a white light  zipping across the sky .

watching it dock now on tv  , I imagine from last nights conversations that some friends will say No you doofus you’re watching Moonraker on tv.

Was it easy to see, or very faint.

If it was a clear strong light that was easy to follow, that was ISS.

If you were struggling to decide if you could really see it or not, that was Dragon

Â