Science Thread

Nigel

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Let's hope they get their stories straight ahead of time.   Or will they be beyond each others' event horizons?

some relativity related pun would be appropriate I suppose!

1 hour ago, sne said:

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87. The image shows a bright ring formed as light bends in the intense gravity around a black hole that is 6.5 billion times more massive than the Sun.

Första bilden på ett svart hål.

Haven't they just sneaked into @Xela's room at night and taken a picture of his bumhole?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Haven't they just sneaked into @Xela's room at night and taken a picture of his bumhole?

It was last Friday night after 6 pints of Guinness and a tandoori mixed grill. 

New species of ancient human discovered in the Philippines
Dubbed Homo luzonensis, the species is one of the most important finds that will be out in the coming years, one scientist predicts.

Humankind's tangled shrub of ancestry now has a new branch: Researchers in the Philippines announced today that they have discovered a species of ancient human previously unknown to science.

The small-bodied hominin, named Homo luzonensis, lived on the island of Luzon at least 50,000 to 67,000 years ago. The hominin—identified from a total of seven teeth and six small bones—hosts a patchwork of ancient and more advanced features. The landmark discovery, announced in Nature on Wednesday, makes Luzon the third Southeast Asian island in the last 15 years to bear signs of unexpectedly ancient human activity.

“For a long, long time, the Philippine islands [have] been more or less left [out]," says study coauthor and project leader Armand Mijares, an archaeologist at the University of the Philippines Diliman and a National Geographic grantee. But H. luzonensis flips the script, and it continues to challenge the outdated idea that the human line neatly progressed from less advanced to more advanced species.

“This new discovery made me thrilled,” Yousuke Kaifu, a paleoanthropologist at Tokyo's National Museum of Nature and Science who was not part of the new study, says via email. “It further highlights remarkable diversity of archaic (primitive) hominins once present in Asia, in a way beyond my expectation.”

Aida Gómez-Robles, a paleoanthropologist at University College London who reviewed the study before publication, is hesitant to unequivocally say the find represents a new species. But she adds that all possibilities to explain the unusual fossils are equally intriguing.

More on National Geographic

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

A tiny fragment of an enormous quote: 

Screenshot_20190410-193526.jpg

Very odd, the only formatting in any of that text is the emboldened title (added in VT not from  Original Website), it was all copied as plain text to remove any formatting. I've edited it (doing exactly the same again) does it make any difference?

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Very odd, the only formatting in any of that text is the emboldened title (added in VT not from  Original Website), it was all copied as plain text to remove any formatting. I've edited it (doing exactly the same again) does it make any difference?

Yep, that's fixed it. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sne said:

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87. The image shows a bright ring formed as light bends in the intense gravity around a black hole that is 6.5 billion times more massive than the Sun.

Första bilden på ett svart hål.

There seems to be some stray light interference in that picture of the black hole.

My version manages to avoid that.

20190411_074411.jpg

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well that's AWOL sorted, now have you seen mine anywhere?

The light blue Argyle from 92 is stuck to a cheap pair of shin pads in your garage. 

Those black dress socks you loved rocking at funerals went their separate ways in 2003. One is hiding under the actual draw unit itself and the other is in a landfill as it was pointless to keep hold of it.

• Thanks 1

Â