Special Forces

Ikantcpell

The other signed up and did his minimum window of service, and now spends his time banging on about 'the army days' like he stormed a machine gun nest at Dunkirk, and is, a complete and utter prick.

I work with someone who, when pressed, will admit that he never actually went anywhere near combat, and just spent a few years fixing radios, but he still mentions his time in the army at least twice a day. He is also a prick.

Edited by Davkaus

The ones who have seen action are the ones to fear, Israel, Russian, UK and believe it or not the Americans, the equipment that's in use now is a major advantage, the mini drones, light bombs.........the list goes on and on.

Plenty of my x forces mates are in to piracy protection or private protection. In war zones around the world, all x marines, hard as nails and more importantly...... fearless

Edited by tinker

On the ships they can carry guns and, they can shoot when shot at, Off the ships the guns are inbounded.

The war zones are a whole different story, only the real killers end up there.......

This isn't from personal experience, just chatting to a few lads that have been there .

The other signed up and did his minimum window of service, and now spends his time banging on about 'the army days' like he stormed a machine gun nest at Dunkirk, and is, a complete and utter prick.

I work with someone who, when pressed, will admit that he never actually went anywhere near combat, and just spent a few years fixing radios, but he still mentions his time in the army at least twice a day. He is also a prick.

I don't know either individual but armed service conditions people in such a way that they can come across as pricks to civilians . It will fade .

I don't know either individual but armed service conditions people in such a way that they can come across as pricks to civilians . It will fade .

Indeed. They're locked in to a certain way of being, whether they've seen a action or not. For some I'd guess it can be hard to break.

I have a few mates in the army including one who has been in it the best part of 30 years.  He is just a normal lad really, not super fit or super hard, just found army life suited him.

I once asked him why he didnt apply for the SAS (After reading a few McNab books), even if just to see if he had what it took. 

He said that normal (?)people dont really apply for those kinds of positions.  He explained that you had to be of a certain mindset to join them, that the usual SAS mostly veer towards being a bit tapped. 'The type of bloke you see walking down the road pissed up with a broken bottle at 2am'!

Glad my 8 year old self never got his wish really!

I knew quite a few guys in my 10 years service who attempted selection . None of them passed as far as I know, but everyone of them was supremely fit and they all said it was mental toughness that did them in . 90 % fail selection IIRC.

Edited by Brumerican

Didn't fade with a certain army cook who invented the bicycle kick whilst singlehandedly defeating the Japanese Imperial Army

• Like 2

Got a relation (unfortunately no longer with us) who went up for selection twice and failed both times. Now we're talking about a really fit bloke here, army PTI and a three-striper with fifteen years in. And he said it was insanely hard......or you had to be insane AND hard!

I got drummed out of the BB for dropping the flag....oh, the shame :blush:

On the ships they can carry guns and, they can shoot when shot at, Off the ships the guns are inbounded.

The war zones are a whole different story, only the real killers end up there.......

This isn't from personal experience, just chatting to a few lads that have been there .

The anti piracy gig was good money until about 2012 but most companies now employ Sri Lankans and Filipinos with a Brit team leader to keep their charges to industry competitive and margins up.

As for the real killers stuff.... I know loads of lads working in Iraq doing close protection for the big oil companies and they are there to protect people, not mercenaries out to build up a body count!

The way the MENA region is going there will be plenty of work onshore, which for all those squaddies being made redundant pays a lot more than driving an HGV - or being a soldier for that matter.

Perhaps I used the wrong term, let's just say they had seen a fair bit more action than the lads on ships, contact amounted to a small burst over the bows of the pirates boats.

These lads were x marines, hard blokes with a real edge, one fresh from Afghanistan, think it was his 3 tour, some of his stories were very distressing.

For me the Paras and the Marines are the real hard core that I would guess make up most of our special force's.

A mate of my dad's was in the SBS in the 80s, went to the Falklands and told me some story about how they break into barracks of normal soldiers and leave calling cards under their pillows while they slept. Dunno how true that is, I suspect it was a tall tale told to impress a ten year old The_Rev.  He also did private "security" work in the Gulf region in the early 90s.  Haven't seen him since I was a teenager, he was last seen in South Africa as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by The_Rev

A mate of my dad's was in the SBS in the 80s, went to the Falklands and told me some story about how they break into barracks of normal soldiers and leave calling cards under their pillows while they slept. Dunno how true that is, I suspect it was a tall tale told to impress a ten year old The_Rev. He also did private "security" work in the Gulf region in the early 90s. Haven't seen him since I was a teenager, he was last seen in South Africa as far as I'm aware.

Meh I left a £2 coin AND removed a tooth from under the pillow whilst my daughter slept
  • Like 1

The Irish Ranger Wing are up there with the best I believe. Highly respected and pretty much never heard about. In, out, job done, home

Yep, but people assume because we are "neutral" and not at war that they don't do anything.

Pal of mine passed selection but never ended up taking it up as just before he was due to join up, he got in a minor scuffle with his (drunk) C.O. on parade inspection. Spent some time in chokey and then left for a career in the prison service. He's a top bloke but I wouldn't get on the wrong side of him. He's four foot tall(ish) but twice as wide and apparently nobody messes with him in nick.

He told me he was once dropped in the beacons on his own and had to survive five days without being found by the many who were searching for him. The aim was to be back at the command point but apparently nobody ever managed that, it was as much as anyone could expect that he would last a day or two without being picked up. On day three, he woke his commander up in his bed to announce his arrival and completion of the exercise.

He has so many tales that I'm always of a mind that he us an expert in BS but I've had a good number of his stories independently verified.

Â