Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Nigel

On any given day they could crush us, but they are a team totally reliant on their best players. People talk about them for top 4, which is totally out of question as their squad is way too thin. Their first XI is strong and competitive, but we saw what happened when they missed Distin and Coleman against Liverpool. Against us they will again play without Distin and Coleman at the back, but a huge plus is them missing Lukaku. Man Utd just got back Van Persie, Rooney as well as Juan Mata, Everton have to play Naismith, Stones and Alcaraz. Don't write off teams after 22 games :)

We couldn't play them at a better time in my opinion, especially now that Benteke is back to his regular form. Not just scoring, but those aerial battles are so vital to us. Creates room for others and so on.

At full strength I would fear this game, but they are lacking three of their most important players no doubt about it. Martinez builds a lot of momentum through his wing-backs, but without Coleman they don't really know what to do.

• Like 3

On any given day they could crush us, but they are a team totally reliant on their best players. People talk about them for top 4, which is totally out of question as their squad is way too thin. Their first XI is strong and competitive, but we saw what happened when they missed Distin and Coleman against Liverpool. Against us they will again play without Distin and Coleman at the back, but a huge plus is them missing Lukaku. Man Utd just got back Van Persie, Rooney as well as Juan Mata, Everton have to play Naismith, Stones and Alcaraz. Don't write off teams after 22 games :)

We couldn't play them at a better time in my opinion, especially now that Benteke is back to his regular form. Not just scoring, but those aerial battles are so vital to us. Creates room for others and so on.

At full strength I would fear this game, but they are lacking three of their most important players no doubt about it. Martinez builds a lot of momentum through his wing-backs, but without Coleman they don't really know what to do.

Couldn't agree more. On a normal day I would be anxious about this fixture, but considering their current situation (and ours) I think we actually have a clear shot at them.

Yeah we normally have a score draw in this fixture, 7 seasons unbeaten there in the league since Gabbys debut in 05/ 06 i think it was when we lost 4-1. Pretty impressive record with a couple of wins thrown in there too.

I agree , great game for us to go into after last night, they will be pretty fragile too after getting stuffed in their derby and losing a key player in the process.

Positive vibes around the place now after a few decent performances.

Everton 1-3 Villa

Couldn't play them at a better time, like someone said earlier in the thread Coleman, Distin and Lukaku  are all out injured meaning it will be Benteke, Wiemann and hopefully a returning Gabby causing chaos; 7/1 are mad odds being offered for this game, think might have a little punt on that.

Stones and 'Escape from Alcaraz' will probably be shitting himself having to face an in-form again Benteke and Weimann, 3-1 #UTV

We're 7/1. Shirley that's too generous.

Bet365 are offering 16/1 on a treble of us, Arsenal and Man City to win. 10/1 if just a Villa and Arsenal double.

Why are we 7/1, mental considering their injury list and our away record. £10 down.

Lukaku missing is a real blessing! They dont really have much else up front, Naismith looks like he will start.

They just got that Traore geezer from Monaco, maybe he'll start? Not sure how good he is.

Martinez has said Traore is 10-14 days away from full fitness so can't see him playing ?

I agree with most of the other posters, I'm quietly confident about this game. Firstly because of their injuries to key players but secondly, the way they play with a high line and full backs pushed up. Distin is quick so they can get away with it with him but Jagielka and Alcaraz aren't so we can definitely get at them. Liverpool showed us the blueprint on how to beat them by counter attacking so hope we've taken notice of that.

Getting gabby back for this game would be massive!

We usually perform quite well at Goodison so i'm hoping we take the confidence and belief from the Baggies game into this. Everton are a great team and even without their injuries they'll be very very difficult to beat. Martinez is very astute and rarely lets Villa get the better of him - it will be tough. Gabby being back would be a bonus for us - as I thought Bacuna was very poor last night. Weimann seems to have his confidence, touch and industrious nature back - so im sure we can cause one or two problems if we getinto the right positons. Lukaku being out (as its reported he is likely to be) is a bit of a relief (not wishing him any harm as he's fantastic to watch) as he would target Clark and bully him. 

With the win last night it eases the pressure a tad which will hopefully mean we try and play with a bit of freedom. It will be an interesting game i'm sure, and a close one too. 

Id bring Gabby back (assuming he is fit) and keep the rest as they are. Go like we did at Anfield. Bertrand has made us look so much better at the back and shows how keen he is to link up going forward. Jags and Benteke will naturally battle. If we avoid defeat then it will have been a very positive past few games and would help us get nearer to the safety zone. Everton v Villa is usually a good footballing game and I expect the same - with goals from both sides. 

We go again.  ;)

Edited by roonst83

Our record and standard of performances on Merseyside in the last few years has been brilliant, we even got two decent draws during the McLeish season. Must be something in the Mersey.

Of course we'll lose eventually again at Goodison (unbeaten there since March 2006) but good time to be playing them, seems to me they'll have to play Mirallas or Naismith centrally.

One fear I do have is midfield area, once they went 1 up at VP they had the measure of us so as ever with away games we need the first goal otherwise it might be a struggle.

1-1.