André Green

sir_gary_cahill

Was my standout prospect pre-season and he WAS then given chances in the early games and he was as pants as the rest and never once repeated his cocky, confident pre-season form.

Definitely has potential but he has to take his chances when they come.

19 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Because he isn't very good from what I've seen.

Just the latest in a decade worth of overhyped youngsters. 

Amazing how you can see things differently as I think I have seen almost every appearance he has made for the first team and on the whole he has done well.

He is yet to start a game for us though and of his seven appearances two were last season when he came into a dire Villa side at rock bottom in confidence. He has also only just turned 18. Let’s just say I am wide of the mark and you are right and he hasn’t looked very good so far I think it is fair to cut the lad a bit of slack.

He may not make it here but it is way to early be bunching him as part of a decade of over hyped youngsters.

Edited by markavfc40

37 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Because he isn't very good from what I've seen.

Just the latest in a decade worth of overhyped youngsters. 

Writing off an 18 year old footballer after about 50 minutes of football.

lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Amazing how you can see things differently as I think I have seen almost every appearance he has made for the first team and on the whole he has done well.

He is yet to start a game for us though and of his seven appearances two were last season when he came into a dire Villa side at rock bottom in confidence. He has also only just turned 18. Let’s just say I am wide of the mark and you are right and he hasn’t looked very good so far I think it is fair to cut the lad a bit of slack.

He may not make it here but it is way to early be bunching him as part of a decade of over hyped youngsters.

Ppl have different opinions and I suppose it's what your expectations are?

So, for example, Andre is supposed to be a youngster with real promise. At best, it seems our youngsters have a knack of turning real promise into bang average run of the mill players...... that's at best. The rest are just simply nowhere near good enough.

So when a new youngster comes in nowadays I'm looking for a bit of something else...... not just someone who comes in and does 'ok'. Looking for a spark if you like.

Not really upto me to give him slack. It shouldn't matter what I think. The fact he can't get a look in in a lower table championship side tells me enough, even at 18. 

A player worth getting excited about (imo) would be tearing this league up even at this young age.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Writing off an 18 year old footballer after about 50 minutes of football.

lol.

Not writing anyone off. I'm talking about NOW.

Spking about the future whether you don't think hel be good or you do is just as naive either way...... bet you wouldn't have said anything if I'd have said 'I think hel be really good in time'.

Right now, he can't get into a poor performing championship side. We don't have much else to go on. 

13 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

What so all players who have England caps and cl experience are above average?

By definition, any player who has played for England is above average, otherwise they wouldn't get in the team.. They are deemed better than their peers by the manager at the time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Cahill has been the first choice CB for England for at least 2 years now. However bad you might think the national team is, that makes him above average at the very least.

Ok, il change it to at the very best they become run of the mill average players unless they move to other clubs where the coaching staff are clearly better than villas. 

Name a player in the last 10 years who have come through the ranks and developed into a player worth talking about....Whilst at villa.

So far, andre hasn't shown me anything that suggests he will be any different.

So many times we hear ppl saying 'that's it write him off after 1 game'. More often than not, the person writing them off has been absolutely spot on.

Edited by Woodytom

While at Villa? Our first team is not exactly the ideal place for a young player to flourish as evidenced by the academy players who leave and play better elsewhere like Albrighton and Steven Davis who's a mainstay in a top 6 team and captain of his country.

36 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Ok, il change it to at the very best they become run of the mill average players unless they move to other clubs where the coaching staff are clearly better than villas. 

Name a player in the last 10 years who have come through the ranks and developed into a player worth talking about....Whilst at villa.

So far, andre hasn't shown me anything that suggests he will be any different.

So many times we hear ppl saying 'that's it write him off after 1 game'. More often than not, the person writing them off has been absolutely spot on.

1.  I guess it depends what you class as "through the ranks, whilst at Villa" because I'd include Gary Cahill... but then you rule him out because he didn't do it specifically whilst at Villa.  Therefore, other young players who we, essentially, developed:  Ashley Young, James Milner, Gareth Barry?

2.  Well given the chances of an academy player actually making it as a professional footballer, of course you're right.  Likelihood of Andre Green "making it"?  Slim to none.  However, to class him as "the latest in a decade of overhyped youngsters" after barely playing is ridiculous.

Whatever floats your boat though, man.  Just write everyone off and get smug satisfaction when 99% of them don't achieve great things in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

1.  I guess it depends what you class as "through the ranks, whilst at Villa" because I'd include Gary Cahill... but then you rule him out because he didn't do it specifically whilst at Villa.  Therefore, other young players who we, essentially, developed:  Ashley Young, James Milner, Gareth Barry?

2.  Well given the chances of an academy player actually making it as a professional footballer, of course you're right.  Likelihood of Andre Green "making it"?  Slim to none.  However, to class him as "the latest in a decade of overhyped youngsters" after barely playing is ridiculous.

Whatever floats your boat though, man.  Just write everyone off and get smug satisfaction when 99% of them don't achieve great things in the game.

The development of Gareth Barry was well over a decade ago. You really want to claim the development of young and milner from youth players?

They cost us 21m quid :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

The development of Gareth Barry was well over a decade ago. You really want to claim the development of young and milner from youth players?

They cost us 21m quid :crylaugh:

So is the development of Gary Cahill because of Villa or Bolton or Chelsea?  Where do you want your goalposts?

Further, we better not class Wayne Rooney as having been developed by Man Utd - he cost £30m! :crylaugh: 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Further, we better not class Wayne Rooney as having been developed by Man Utd - he cost £30m! :crylaugh: 

Wayne Rooney signed for man utd at 18. 

Ashley young and James milner were in their twenties when he signed for us. 

Not sure what your point is regarding cahill. Sure we will have had some effect on him but my question was who have we developed from youth into something worth talking about whilst at villa in the last decade.

My overall point is that the club's system in place for transition from youth to senior is absolutely appalling.

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Decent cop out.

What I specifically like about it is not that you imply im an arsehole but that you use an example that has nothing to do with football........ something that which, when I do it to support a point, you specifically ridicule it's merit. 

Just now, Woodytom said:

What I specifically like about it is not that you imply im an arsehole but that you use an example that has nothing to do with football........ something that which, when I do it to support a point, you specifically ridicule it's merit. 

Nice try, but nope.

Â