Your Aston Villa Most Under Rated Player Ever Award.

villa-revolution

I think Paul Merson is underrated and undervalued by most.

I dont believe that.

Merse made the Villatalk best 11 team a few years back (If memory serves), so he cant be that undervalued.

Most was wrong, but I know plenty on this very board who don't rate him much at all. In my opinion the love should be unanimous.

He's a player that divides and I can't figure out why.

i didnt rate reo coker at all, won the ball, gave it away, rinse and repeat

any of the older guys tell me what happened with the european cup winning team and the 82 world cup? was it a case of them all being criminally underrated, or because we were a great team rather than individuals or because those damn cockney media types didnt rate us?

blows my mind to think that we won the european cup and not one of our players kicked a ball at the world cup the next month

I think Withe, Morley, Swain all got games for England after we won the league. In 82 we actually had a poor season in the league. and English teams were winning the European Cup every year. Look at Forest, they won it twice, yet how many of their players got in the England side. It was a disgrace that that Gary Shaw never got picked in 82. Peter Withe was looked upon as a step backwards. Big old-fashioned centre forward thing! I think there was a lot of Liverpool bias as well! Was Phil Neal the right back? Swain was definately quicker and better than him! Cowans was unlucky but it was Brian Robson and Glen Hoddle and of course we had to have Trevor Brooking in there. 

i didnt rate reo coker at all, won the ball, gave it away, rinse and repeat

any of the older guys tell me what happened with the european cup winning team and the 82 world cup? was it a case of them all being criminally underrated, or because we were a great team rather than individuals or because those damn cockney media types didnt rate us?

blows my mind to think that we won the european cup and not one of our players kicked a ball at the world cup the next month

I think Withe, Morley, Swain all got games for England after we won the league. In 82 we actually had a poor season in the league. and English teams were winning the European Cup every year. Look at Forest, they won it twice, yet how many of their players got in the England side. It was a disgrace that that Gary Shaw never got picked in 82. Peter Withe was looked upon as a step backwards. Big old-fashioned centre forward thing! I think there was a lot of Liverpool bias as well! Was Phil Neal the right back? Swain was definately quicker and better than him! Cowans was unlucky but it was Brian Robson and Glen Hoddle and of course we had to have Trevor Brooking in there. 

Well, that's still happening today unfortunately.

Carbone

Double J

Ugo

Wright

Hendrie

Taylor

NRC

Bouma

Gabby

Milner (for that one year he was a world beater for us, got his big money move but he's was pure class that year)

Delph (people who follow clubs from the otherside of the country don't rate him at all)

Vlaar

I think Paul Merson is underrated and undervalued by most.

I dont believe that.

Merse made the Villatalk best 11 team a few years back (If memory serves), so he cant be that undervalued.

Most was wrong, but I know plenty on this very board who don't rate him much at all. In my opinion the love should be unanimous.

He's a player that divides and I can't figure out why.

Really?

I always thought he was universally popular. The stand out player from a good time.

Milner

Not sure he can be classed as underrated given the clamour to get him back in every single transfer window thread since?

True. But I mean in terms of the press etc. If he played like that for united or Chelsea that season he would of got rave reviews and played in the middle for England no matter what. that's kind of what I meant.

Even his first spell on loan he was class.

How about an Under-rated XI (Premiership era - too young before then!)

Thomas Sorensen (limited choice of keepers)

Alan Wright (would be my choice if only picking one)
Alpay (absolutely amazing to begin with, seriously screwed up later admittedly - but footballing wise, look at his first season + 02 World Cup)
Steve Watson (not clear memory but seemed to work bloody hard)
Mark Delaney (seems to be fairly ignored in football world)

Ian Taylor (for view outside Villa)
Kevin Richardson (Our rarely spoken about captain)
Stan Petrov (not sentimental reasons at all - work horse who kept things ticking over)
Gavin McCann (another workhorse)

Julian Joachim (his goal scoring record was pretty phenomenal yet few have even heard of him)
Dion Dublin (always harder with strikers as they are talked about loads, but often listed quite low down our best striker list and yet he was epic, broken neck and all!)

Manager: (deep breath...) Lambert?! We shouldn't underestimate the financial constraints we are under and we're doing ok. Not in dreamland or anything but he's had a very very tricky job and despite all the mistakes he has made, all the strange substitutions or purchases, I do feel he is quite under-rated. Not sure who else could do a better job given the constraints we are currently under. So not great like Little but no disaster like O'Leary.

Chairman: Ellis or Lerner, Ellis or Lerner... errr...

Alpay (absolutely amazing to begin with, seriously screwed up later admittedly - but footballing wise, look at his first season + 02 World Cup)

Stan Petrov (not sentimental reasons at all - work horse who kept things ticking over)

Julian Joachim (his goal scoring record was pretty phenomenal yet few have even heard of him)

Dion Dublin (always harder with strikers as they are talked about loads, but often listed quite low down our best striker list and yet he was epic, broken neck and all!)

Manager: (deep breath...) Lambert?! We shouldn't underestimate the financial constraints we are under and we're doing ok. Not in dreamland or anything but he's had a very very tricky job and despite all the mistakes he has made, all the strange substitutions or purchases, I do feel he is quite under-rated. Not sure who else could do a better job given the constraints we are currently under. So not great like Little but no disaster like O'Leary.

manager John Gregory for me, mainly because he has been shite everywhere he has been apart from villa

I'm surprised at the amount of names from Big Ron's team that finished second and then went onto win the League Cup who people consider underrated. So far I've seen mentioned Barret, Teale, Hougton, Parker, RIchardson and Townsend that's half the team, I was only very young and was probably in my own world easily impressed  but I thought they were all fantastic and just presumed everyone else did as well, In comparison to some of those names i wonder if some that have come since are overrated.

Pretty much agree with this. Alan Wright also the best player I've ever seen play for Cheltenham Town!! :P

Ian Olney?

Agree with this. I was only young back then but he played a little like Berbatov. (I think)

Me too, I remember being incredulous that GT signed Cascarino so late in the season, it all seemed to go wrong after that.

For me personally, Milner.

His first spell with us on loan and I was wondering why the hell we wanted to sign him personally.  Then for the next 12 months after he signed, I was still the same.  Then he had 2 great years and is now a Premier League winner and Champion League player.

Also, one that I think many were guilty of, especially in the 2002-2005 period - Gareth Barry.  I could see he was a bad player, but he had about 10 games in a row where he was ineffective on the left wing.  The people in the crowd around me where all going nuts about how he couldn't pass, wasn't quick enough for a winger and couldn't cross - I always thought he would be better in the middle and he's proved me right - for once! :)

'Underrated' is becoming very stretched here I think!

Fair one. On reflection I think my Merson one was off the mark. Milner is far worse though eh, universally loved by every single one of us as the messiah and the press didn't blink an eye when he went for the price he did. They knew. They all knew.

These days he's lost a little in that City side (understandably, though still integral) and criminally underused by England.

The perfect centre mid for my money. The player United need. Or am I overrating him?

Matieu Berson and Jean Makoun gave two of the most accomplished midfield performances I've seen in recent times at Villa, yet only played a handful of games between them.

Other than that, from my favourite era, Alan Wright, Tommy Johnson, and Ian Taylor (although he is a favourite crossover, and would be for many others).

Guzan would have been the most underrated player of all time had he left at the start of last season.

And my actual vote goes to Reo Coker. Allowed better footballers to play their game (ie Barry/Petrov), and poor passing was relative. God what I'd give for those three at their best now. I've never been more consistently furious with a player's non-inclusion. I think the game where we thumped Bolton 5-1 and looked terrific was followed by him being dropped, and being largely outplayed by Burnley. Petrov actually said to someone I know how much easier his job was when NRC was in the side and couldn't understand MoN's decision making. His choice of player favouritism over a functional unit was his downfall.

Ian Olney?

Agree with this. I was only young back then but he played a little like Berbatov. (I think)

Me too, I remember being incredulous that GT signed Cascarino so late in the season, it all seemed to go wrong after that.

Yes I agree too that   `Olney The Lonely` was very underrated & you're quite correct in suggesting that it all went pear shaped once we signed that big lump of lard Cascarino.

Â