Your Aston Villa Most Under Rated Player Ever Award.

villa-revolution

Outside of B6, Ian Taylor doesn't get the respect he deserves in my opinion. I can remember having a furious argument with a plastic Scouser, who described him as "the epitome of average".

Agree, I was going to say Ian Taylor too. Not underrated by Villa fans but hugely underrated outside.

Tayls is all Villa, same as Gabby.....they'll always stand out for me.

Have to agree with turnbull, though. Hamilton, Carrodus and Bremner were great examples; understated, modest and total workhorses.

my dad always takes the mickey out of me for it but when I was younger I had a soft spot for Julian joachim.

I remember him being brilliant and scoring a lot of goals(probably helped by the 98/99 season being one of the first I fully remember) but my dad tells me I was wrong, haha

of course I still don't believe him =]

I was coming into this thread to write about Julian Joachim, great shout!

Hamilton, Carrodus, Bremner. All 3 did the donkey work, all 3 were vastly underrated but played such great parts in Villa's successes.

I always thought that Ray Graydon was a better player than he was given credit for.

I was very young when `Chico` was in the team & in those day's I was completely hypnotised by all things claret & blue. I always felt `Chico` did get his due recognition & was loved by the Holte End. I also saw him score an absolutely fantastic individual goal against Sheffield Utd once in a terrific 5-1 home win in the 1975-76 season. Our first season back in the top flight under Ron Saunders. He beat 3 players & curled the ball into the goalkeepers top left hand corner from just outside the box.

• Like 1

Hamilton, Carrodus, Bremner. All 3 did the donkey work, all 3 were vastly underrated but played such great parts in Villa's successes.

I always thought that Ray Graydon was a better player than he was given credit for.

I saw Frank Carrodus dribble the ball from the half way line past about five players get to the opposition box and fall over!

Des Bremner for me all day long and twice at weekends

I was going to post this !!! My recollection was he did that every game, 10 times a game............maybe a little distorted through time but in our family that was his 'thing' ...either fall over or run out of pitch - he had no left or right turn !

Des Bremner for me too, by a mile.

Although someone else who rarely gets mentioned anymore is Leighton Phillips-  a bit of a disaster at first but turned into a Beckenbaur type sweeper.  Brilliant and very understated.

And I remember being at St Andrews when it all kicked off after he was sent off for giving the ref the V sign - scary days !!

Edited by terrytini

Anticipating getting slated for this, but...

Savo.

There, I said it.

(Ok, it ended horribly and the spitting at the fans things was appalling, but... for all the abuse and ridicule he came in for, I thought his all-round play was good, he was a tidy player with the ball at his feet, brought others into play well, had some intelligent running in him when he was on form, and his goal-scoring record wasn't actually that bad)

• Like 2

Speaking in context,right now its Alan hutton. The amount of hate he gets is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I don't think he's great or anything but nowhere near as bad as most make out on here. In fact he's pretty good

Savo.

There, I said it.

(Ok, it ended horribly and the spitting at the fans things was appalling, but... for all the abuse and ridicule he came in for, I thought his all-round play was good, he was a tidy player with the ball at his feet, brought others into play well, had some intelligent running in him when he was on form, and his goal-scoring record wasn't actually that bad)

I loved Savo

Savo.

There, I said it.

And the scorer of the most under-rated Wembley goal......

• Like 1

Gabby

not just by our own fans, criminally underrated by other fans

obviously lightning quick, strong, great crosser, instinctive rather than a great finisher (we all know what happens when he has time to think) can hold it up, and most importantly big game player

should be going to the world cup in place of the injured theo, brazil wont know whats hit it when those step overs come out :P

• Like 3

Â