Your Aston Villa Most Under Rated Player Ever Award.

villa-revolution

Ozalan Alpay.

There's not many Villa players that get booed when they score for us.

Hated by everyone, he was a solid no-nonsense defender with a neat touch for a hard man. He read the game well and had the knack for getting under the oppositions skin, putting them right off their game.

It took 3 years before we found a decent replacement (Laursen).

• Like 2

Aye Gary Charles had a good cross on him. Is he not a real mess now? Sad

Yes, I think so.  Haven't heard about him for a while now, but last time I heard he was found in his car covered in his own shit after a heavy drinking bout.  Think he did a couple of spells in prison as well.

Aye Gary Charles had a good cross on him. Is he not a real mess now? Sad

Yes, I think so.  Haven't heard about him for a while now, but last time I heard he was found in his car covered in his own shit after a heavy drinking bout.  Think he did a couple of spells in prison as well.

My God, that must of been a heavy drinking bout!!!!!!   Hope he wasnt on Guiness

Darius Kubicki (sp?)

Tony Dorigo

Tommy Johnson

Super Tommy Johnson... I loved him...

My enduring memory of him came at one of my most memorable away trips - November 1995 Upton Park. Aston Villa marginally won the first half 1-0, but we came out rampant in the second half. A delicious move culminated in Super Tom scoring a fine goal in front of the Villa fans. He came over to about 5 feet from me and did his little 'cheeky chappie' celebration... He f**king loved it... we f**king loved it... and I loved him even more after that. It's funny how magic moments like that can underline just how special a player can be in the eyes of one fan, and overlooked by others.  

Consolation goal for Hammers in the form of a thundered penalty from a certain Julian Dicks... Honorable mentions in that game to Marco Boogers (lol lol lol) and Alvin Martin?

Final Score - West Ham 1 Aston Villa 4 (bonfire night - ish)

My all time favourite away match experience (Wembley excepted). Followed closely by White Hart Lane 1994-95... the first night ever of the National Lottery.

God i remember that west ham game like it was yesterday. We were brilliant that second half they couldn't live with us. The first time i heard  "oh what fun it is to see the villa win away". certain away days stick in your head and that one will be with me for the rest of my life, Cracking team, good football and a brilliant day

Steve Mcmahon.

Great in his all to brief time at the club

That would be my nomination as well. The ultimate box-to-box midfielder who seemed like he could do everything; tackle, pass, run, shoot and turn the tide of a game all on his own.

I guess he gets forgotten about because he only played for us for a couple of seasons in the eighties in which the club achieved nothing of note, and he later became better known as a Liverpool player. But I don't think I've ever seen a better all-round player in the Villa midfield, and that includes the legends of the Saunders era. 

"I guess he gets forgotten about because he only played for us for a couple of seasons in the eighties in which the club achieved nothing of note, and he later became better known as a Liverpool player. But I don't think I've ever seen a better all-round player in the Villa midfield, and that includes the legends of the Saunders era." 

McMahon was top class during his couple of years with us Normandy Villan. But he would have needed to stay a little longer to have been compared with the likes of Mortimer and Cowans, Rioch before them or Platt post early 80s. But he still ranks somewhere in our top 10 midfield players for me so that would be why I would not include him in this topic. I also have the nagging feeling that he joined us because the straight move from Everton to Pool would never have been accepted up there and he always had his eyes on a move to the red side of that city.  

"I guess he gets forgotten about because he only played for us for a couple of seasons in the eighties in which the club achieved nothing of note, and he later became better known as a Liverpool player. But I don't think I've ever seen a better all-round player in the Villa midfield, and that includes the legends of the Saunders era." 

McMahon was top class during his couple of years with us Normandy Villan. But he would have needed to stay a little longer to have been compared with the likes of Mortimer and Cowans, Rioch before them or Platt post early 80s. But he still ranks somewhere in our top 10 midfield players for me so that would be why I would not include him in this topic. I also have the nagging feeling that he joined us because the straight move from Everton to Pool would never have been accepted up there and he always had his eyes on a move to the red side of that city.  

Steve McMahon was undoubtedly a top Midfield player, no question. He was brought in to play alongside `Sid` but Sadly Gordon Cowans suffered an horrific broken leg in a pre season friendly. The other problem too was that his Liverpudlian wife was home sick &  could not settle in Four Oaks. Top Player though.

Edited by villa-revolution

Â