Your Aston Villa Most Under Rated Player Ever Award.

villa-revolution

Alan Wright for me, there was a reason why he was in our side for so long, he was consistent. 7/10 pretty much every game and must have been one of the first names on the teamsheet. Only reflection not sure we ever really replaced him. Rarely spectacular although he did hit a screamer or two which will live long in the memory.

haha I've just put Alan Wright as my most over rated player in the other thread, thought he was a liability but I know so many that loved him like you. I was glad when he wasn't in the team and eventually left.

A few votes for Alan Wright, which is a good shout, but I'd actually say his opposite number in Gary Charles was even more underrated.  When you look back at videos from that time, you realise just how good he was.

• Like 1

Alan Wright for me, there was a reason why he was in our side for so long, he was consistent. 7/10 pretty much every game and must have been one of the first names on the teamsheet. Only reflection not sure we ever really replaced him. Rarely spectacular although he did hit a screamer or two which will live long in the memory.

haha I've just put Alan Wright as my most over rated player in the other thread, thought he was a liability but I know so many that loved him like you. I was glad when he wasn't in the team and eventually left.

I think in 95/96, when wing backs were all the rage, Alan Wright was probably one of the best in the country. I think if he hadn't need 5 foot nowt, he'd have a fair few England caps to his name too.   

A few votes for Alan Wright, which is a good shout, but I'd actually say his opposite number in Gary Charles was even more underrated.  When you look back at videos from that time, you realise just how good he was.

Another player who crossed my mind when I saw this thread. He got dogs abuse down Villa Park almost constantly it seemed, yet was actually a pretty decent attacking full-back/wing-back. Covered an immense amount of ground, set up some good goals and wasn't too shaky in defence. Much of the crowd in the Trinity Lower seemed on his back constantly through the mid-90s. He just couldn't win. Shame. Good player. We'd be lucky to have someone as good in his position now.

.  Alan Wright for me, there was a reason why he was in our side for so long, he was consistent. 7/10 pretty much every game and must have been one of the first names on the teamsheet. Only reflection not sure we ever really replaced him. Rarely spectacular although he did hit a screamer or two which will live long in the memory.

I think in 95/96, when wing backs were all the rage, Alan Wright was probably one of the best in the country. I think if he hadn't need 5 foot nowt, he'd have a fair few England caps to his name too.

see that's where I disagree, I think some of the affection for Wright was due to his lack of height and overlooked his lack of ability. The whole underdog syndrome feeling!

Dessie for me as well although another player from that same great team who does not get enough plaudits for me is Gary Williams and the same possibly applies to John Deehan from a couple of years earlier. 

• Like 1

Dessie for me as well although another player from that same great team who does not get enough plaudits for me is Gary Williams and the same possibly applies to John Deehan from a couple of years earlier. 

Don't know what happened to dixie because he was brilliant as a teenager then got fat! Williams is one of my fav players from the past.

Good call. Charles was very good. As I wasn't that aware of what happened in Brum and England at the time I don't know who were over- or underrated, but he seems to fit in the underrated category.

But my vote has to go to Savo, I think.

And the one and only to perfectly well fit in both categories has to be JPA.

What did for Charles was that he got a horrible broken leg at the end of 95/96, missed the whole of the next season, we signed Fernando Nelson to replace him (who wasn't as good) and he never really got back to that level.

Speaking of Rbs recently, I'd go for someone like Luke Young. Considering some of the garbage we've had in both full back positions over the last 5 years, I really think he gave consistently good defensive performances in both positions when called upon time and again, On the negative side, another MON signing in his late 20s on high wages who within a year was out of favour but he was good when he returned to the team under Houllier.

NRC ? Is this we payed 8m and he was so under rated we released him NRC ? Ffs im going to go outside and kick a ball round for a few hours...

Make sure you take Jack with you. We want him practicing & improving everyday before he returns from his loan spell at Notts County to conquer the world. :)

• Like 2

just going to post this. thought he was brilliant in Little system

How about an Under-rated XI (Premiership era - too young before then!)

Manager: (deep breath...) Lambert?! We shouldn't underestimate the financial constraints we are under and we're doing ok. Not in dreamland or anything but he's had a very very tricky job and despite all the mistakes he has made, all the strange substitutions or purchases, I do feel he is quite under-rated. Not sure who else could do a better job given the constraints we are currently under. So not great like Little but no disaster like O'Leary.

Chairman: Ellis or Lerner, Ellis or Lerner... errr...

manager John Gregory for me, mainly because he has been shite everywhere he has been apart from villa

Interesting, and without trying to leap off topic too much. In the Premier League era (and arguably since the late 1970s, who has managed Villa and then gone on to actually better and brighter things? I would argue only Graham Taylor Mark 1. And even managing England, he got a very rough deal consiering the aging squad of players he had to choose from. I really felt sorry for him.

Villa - poison chalice, and no mistake.

Darius Kubicki (sp?)

Tony Dorigo

Tommy Johnson

Super Tommy Johnson... I loved him...

My enduring memory of him came at one of my most memorable away trips - November 1995 Upton Park. Aston Villa marginally won the first half 1-0, but we came out rampant in the second half. A delicious move culminated in Super Tom scoring a fine goal in front of the Villa fans. He came over to about 5 feet from me and did his little 'cheeky chappie' celebration... He f**king loved it... we f**king loved it... and I loved him even more after that. It's funny how magic moments like that can underline just how special a player can be in the eyes of one fan, and overlooked by others.  

Consolation goal for Hammers in the form of a thundered penalty from a certain Julian Dicks... Honorable mentions in that game to Marco Boogers (lol lol lol) and Alvin Martin?

Final Score - West Ham 1 Aston Villa 4 (bonfire night - ish)

My all time favourite away match experience (Wembley excepted). Followed closely by White Hart Lane 1994-95... the first night ever of the National Lottery.

Â