Your Aston Villa Most Under Rated Player Ever Award.

villa-revolution

Gabby

not just by our own fans, criminally underrated by other fans

obviously lightning quick, strong, great crosser, instinctive rather than a great finisher (we all know what happens when he has time to think) can hold it up, and most importantly big game player

should be going to the world cup in place of the injured theo, brazil wont know whats hit it when those step overs come out :P

Con stated it in another thread & I totally agree with him that surely Gabby is the best counter attacking player in the Premier League?

• Like 1

David Geddis

Came in a few times during 80/81 - scored a few goals and never let the team down.

That's a good call Pez. Loved when he deputised for Peter Withe & chipped in with two goals in our 1980 Christmas mauling against sha. That was undoubtedly his best match in a Villa shirt.

Anticipating getting slated for this, but...

Savo.

There, I said it.

(Ok, it ended horribly and the spitting at the fans things was appalling, but... for all the abuse and ridicule he came in for, I thought his all-round play was good, he was a tidy player with the ball at his feet, brought others into play well, had some intelligent running in him when he was on form, and his goal-scoring record wasn't actually that bad)

Seconded, fantastic player - had a moody and loping running style but he was a pure worker, made Dwight Yorke in their 2 seasons together.......... created all his space, held the ball and pinged it wide to the wing backs....... totally underrated and his reputation is one of a joke - a joke he was far from...........

As for the spitting incident, was totally blown out of proportion............ sheer frustration cos hed run his knackers off for the cause, only to get jeered when he missed an easy chance, but the villa fans gave a rapturous applause to stan collymore who did the sum total of stand on the half way line with his hands on his hips............. wanka

Garry Parker - should have played for England

Ugo Ehiogu & Gareth Southgate as well............ always amuses me when fans now say "we need a new Mellberg or the next Laursen"............ Id rather have a new Southgate or Ehiogu please....... at least we actually did something of note when they played !!

• Like 1

Garry Parker - should have played for England

Ugo Ehiogu & Gareth Southgate as well............ always amuses me when fans now say "we need a new Mellberg or the next Laursen"............ Id rather have a new Southgate or Ehiogu please....... at least we actually did something of note when they played !!

Big Ugo was an excellent player for us, absolutely no question. He did make possibly the worst debut ever though in our home defeat to Norwich City in that first inaugural Premier League. Those 3pts lost would have been invaluable too.

An absolute steal from the Albion too. £30k IIRC?

• Like 1

Stefan Beinlich, but that's a 'beauty of hindsight' one.  2.Liga winner with Hansa Rostock straight after leaving us, two-time Ligapokal winner (with Hertha Berlin and Hamburg), mainstay of a Leverkusen side that narrowly missed out on the Bundesliga twice and capped by the national squad.

Anticipating getting slated for this, but...

Savo.

There, I said it.

(Ok, it ended horribly and the spitting at the fans things was appalling, but... for all the abuse and ridicule he came in for, I thought his all-round play was good, he was a tidy player with the ball at his feet, brought others into play well, had some intelligent running in him when he was on form, and his goal-scoring record wasn't actually that bad)

Seconded, fantastic player - had a moody and loping running style but he was a pure worker, made Dwight Yorke in their 2 seasons together.......... created all his space, held the ball and pinged it wide to the wing backs....... totally underrated and his reputation is one of a joke - a joke he was far from...........

As for the spitting incident, was totally blown out of proportion............ sheer frustration cos hed run his knackers off for the cause, only to get jeered when he missed an easy chance, but the villa fans gave a rapturous applause to stan collymore who did the sum total of stand on the half way line with his hands on his hips............. wanka

I actually agree about the spitting thing being a bit blown up. It certainly soured the feeling many have for him, though, and I can understand that - and I must admit one image that most often comes to mind when I think back is that defiant pose as he spat towards the fans at Ewood. Which is a shame because I've always thought he was a really good player for us and elsewhere. We really could have done with hanging on to him for longer.

But,yeah, I mean if we're talking under-rated... this guy was positively slated. I can't think of another player I spent so much time defending to other fans (both Villa fans and fans of other clubs). Scored as many goals as Bergkamp on his debut season and was still called Mis-a-lot-evich by almost everybody it seemed. Can't get much more un-rated than that!

Edited by Intercourse_The_Penguin

From past decade I'd say Petrov, his leadership and other qualities in midfield got/let other players shine. He's the player we've imo missed the most since he had to retire.

Would've said Petrov although I think in his last couple of seasons with us he got a lot of the recognition he deserved. Used to get really unfairly slated on here though before that. I remember when he was sidelined with injury for quite a while around October 2010 and some on here were saying that it could be a blessing in disguise. He was seen as some sort of weak link in midfield. How wrong that turned out to be.

Edited by Mantis

From the Lerner years the award has to go to Nigel Reo-Coker.

Slated by the vast majority of fans for being unable to hit 40 yard defence splitting passes, although that wasn't his job.

He did the 'dirty' work so effectively.

Defending the defence.

Allowing the more attack minded players the chance to get forward and play, safe in the knowledge that if they did lose the ball, the gaps were covered by NRC.

Pre-Lerner I would say Keith Leonard was never appreciated for the work he did or the skill he had, in his all too brief a career.

The most underated and unsung hero award should go to Des Bremner. Didn't look much on the ball, but did all the donkey work and allowed players like Cowans and Mortimer to express themselves. When i read the title of the thread his was the first name that came into my head so has to be right.

i didnt rate reo coker at all, won the ball, gave it away, rinse and repeat

any of the older guys tell me what happened with the european cup winning team and the 82 world cup? was it a case of them all being criminally underrated, or because we were a great team rather than individuals or because those damn cockney media types didnt rate us?

blows my mind to think that we won the european cup and not one of our players kicked a ball at the world cup the next month

I think Paul Merson is underrated and undervalued by most.

I dont believe that. 

Merse made the Villatalk best 11 team a few years back (If memory serves), so he cant be that undervalued.

Alan Wright for me, there was a reason why he was in our side for so long, he was consistent. 7/10 pretty much every game and must have been one of the first names on the teamsheet. Only reflection not sure we ever really replaced him. Rarely spectacular although he did hit a screamer or two which will live long in the memory.

• Like 2

Â