• Good
    • Very Good
  3. 3. How good was the referee?

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

In real time watching it live, it did look a pen so can see why the ref gave it, but its just another Suarez con. He's a cheat, always has been which is stupid because he doesn't need to with the talent he posesses. Biting people (twice), handling on the line in the WC and celebrating the peno miss like an 8 yr old and constant diving is cheating, all the pundits know what he is, just found it strange yesterday why they were all going to great lengths to defend that dive.

Still, an exciting game for once, played some great stuff, and finally a LB who dont look suspect. Got a break now before the boggies, hopefully we can find a creative mid

It's a dive but i can see why the refs given it. If that makes sense. Split second decision in front of the Kop and he's bottled it. Be interested to know if the Lino flagged it ?

Take the Kop out of it and he still would have given it - from his angle (behind the play) it looks like Guzan has wiped him. Especially as Suarez flopped away from goal (if that makes sense) making it look as if Guzan's momentum caused it.

For that reason it was a poor decision by Guzan. Yes - Suarez is a diving cheat. But you just can't give him the opportunity.

It's a dive but i can see why the refs given it. If that makes sense. Split second decision in front of the Kop and he's bottled it. Be interested to know if the Lino flagged it ?

Take the Kop out of it and he still would have given it - from his angle (behind the play) it looks like Guzan has wiped him. Especially as Suarez flopped away from goal (if that makes sense) making it look as if Guzan's momentum caused it.

For that reason it was a poor decision by Guzan. Yes - Suarez is a diving cheat. But you just can't give him the opportunity.

Yes its poor by guzan but I hate that people are using that to defend the dive. Ex pros and so called experts are embarrassing themselves. Diving is now 'clever play'.

• Like 1

Loved that first half. The bindippers in the pub looked lost at 2-0. I was expecting a collapse after Sturridge scored, terrible time to concede.

Hope we can start playing like that at home.

When you look at the stats it shows how well we played yesterday:

% Passes in opposition half: 59% Liverpool and 70% Villa.

% Short Passes: 88% Liverpool and 83% Villa

Touches in opposition penalty area: 19 Liverpool and 34 Villa

Just goes to show when you get at teams, make it difficult, close down their best players and you commit men forward you can cause most teams problems.

If you get the ball in the opposition penalty area more than the opposition like we managed to it's not a surprise that we had so many decent chances.

Fair play to Lambert - let's hope we continue to play this way!

• Like 2

For someone who is quite negative about things at the moment, I was pleasantly surprised by yesterday's performance. My main observations from yesterday...

Our passing was quick and direct, completely different to the laboured passing against Arsenal (and the last bundle of games).

Gabby has developed beyond being the athlete minus a footballing brain he used to be, he still has room to improve, but he is using his pace as a weapon now, made even better now that he has an outlet in his improved crossing as well. Mr Aston Villa, finally earning the higher wage he is on. We really suffered when he went off. Not scoring too much as normal, but he influences nearly every game now.

Benteke is playing better but is still to recover his touch from last year, a few balls are bouncing free due to a poor first touch...but Rooney has that when he is off form. His strength is showing again and his aerial ability is as good as ever.

Wiemann looked a different player, he looked like he did last year, hopefully this continues.

Bertrand looks a brilliant acquisition. He looked composed, strong and was able to play a good pass.

Bancuna is prone to a mistake or a lack of concentration...something he needs to work on, will be a tidy player.

Clark also capable of mistakes, his brain with Baker's strength would be an excellent defender.

Vlaar was immense.

The penalty is just one of those things, at the other end we'd be livid if it was called as a dive, we probably wouldn't look at it as a dive if it wasn't Suarez. Guzan shouldn't have flown out. You win some, you lose some. What was worse was that we let Sturridge ghost through for their first.

Holt looked sharp, he was a calming influence when Benteke got annoyed at the ref, he was the first to step in and calm him and diffuse the situation. His touch was good and he looked fit, as opposed to the out of shape guy we've seen at Wigan this year.

Delph was as normal, pretty good.

KEA just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid. I just think he needs more strength. Delph has that raw streak in him that makes up for lack of size and strength...granted, that does give him a tendency to get booked, but it helps his game in the main part.

An excellent performance for pretty much the full 90, even when we weren't all over them, we never really looked out of our depth.

A good point gained when a loss was expected. It will count for little though if we go back to our usual dross against the Baggies and the rest of the poorer teams. If we can keep it up, I will change my mind on Lambert, as last night he got it right, but consistency is the key.

Well done boys.

At last a team and performance we have been waiting for, Bertrand streets ahead of what we have witnessed at left back and gabby playing at a level we have all known was in there but well hidden. Vlarr solid in defence and if clark can cut out his rash moments and wrestling moves we might have a partnership, Guzan at  fault for the penalty a guy going nowhere who just needs shepherding and you launch yourself at him, stonewall pen, pity from a guy who has been decent all season. Better by all concerned but hope our manager can move forward and learn how to change a game when things  are not working as rogers did to bring them back into the match.

Alan Shearer: "I think it is a penalty. I think you've got to give the benefit of the doubt to Suarez there. I know he's gone down too easy at times. 

'If Guzan's going to be silly enough to come rushing out like that on a wet pitch, sliding out. What is Suarez expected to do here? Is he meant to jump over him and get out of the way and hurdle out of the way, so he doesn't make contact with him?

'Part of a forward's job is is when you're racing towards the ball with a goalkeeper, part of your job is to try and get there first and toe poke the ball past him. Then the keeper's got a problem. Because once the keeper goes down, he's not in control of his body."

Yes. Suarez can easily jump over him and still be in control of the ball. What a bloody stupid point. To think, he got paid for all that. He anticipated the dive and deliberately conned the referee. Ashley Young does the same thing. It's not just about diving theatrically under minimal contact, it's about players willing to throw their bodies into players to simulate contact. It's worse than diving.

• Like 2

Suarez dived. Shearer has a point in that the striker should not have to get out of the way of an imminent tackle. But where his argument falls down is that he should at least wait for contact because to assume contact will happen is just wrong. Or cheating as it's sometimes called.

• Like 3

Â