Grant Holt

samjp26

There are some wildly optimistic estimates of player values here in my view.

Do we even think Benteke would fetch £28m after the mediocre season he's had?

Better hope he hits the scoring groove in the remaining matches and has a good world cup.

Edited by briny_ear

Better hope he hits the scoring groove in the remaining matches and has a good world cup.

Would we say he has had a mediocre season?? he was injured and then came back and scored some class goals. He isn't far of last seasons tally at this stage.

• Like 1

Vlarr will have multiplied in value since coming here

Ron Vlaar was a very known commodity around Europe before he came here.

He just turned 29 years old and he has been quite good for us, but not anywhere near the top of the Premier League in terms of ability.

We got him for 3.5M or so, I'd say that's exactly the maximum any interested club would pay for him. He has played 189 games in his 10 year career at senior level, not exactly encouraging statistics for a buying club either.

really? Im sure teams would bite our hand if we said he was available for that much. and mediocre?

if being 13th highest scorer in injury hit season is mediocre then ill take that all day long

really? Im sure teams would bite our hand if we said he was available for that much. and mediocre?

if being 13th highest scorer in injury hit season is mediocre then ill take that all day long

Yes he's shown what he's capable of in the last few games and he performed well against Chelsea and that doesn't get unnoticed

Bacuna was my second player. He cost £800k - £1m. Not that this has any relevance to Holt.

In what alternate universe has Bacuna been an outrageous success? He's scored some decent goals, but as a right back he's mostly been dreadful.

In the universe where he kept the best winger in the league quiet (a winger who earns his transfer fee in a month), the universe where he's been crucial in every home win, the universe where he's provided a threat from set pieces, while being played out of position the whole time in his first season away from home at the age of 22.

When you spend six figures on a 21 year old in the PL you expect them to have a 1st season impact like Helenius (ie. none). He's already a key first team player who provides a goal threat from right back. Obviously its not unthinkable that someone on an anti Lambert crusade might try to highlight his tactical naivety at RB (not his natural position) as evidence he's another shit disaster waste of money idiot loser signing but to be honest I don't really feel the need to debate that.

Then again you do think Vlaar is a "Terrible player" IIRC so by that measure the Bacuna signing has been an unmitigated catastrophe. I can't even begin to comprehend how disappointed you must be with Holt.

Keeping a player quiet for a game doesn't prove much in the big picture, especially when you gift a few goals to Stoke at home the next. There are numerous examples of poor right-backs keeping Bale and Ronaldo quiet in Real Madrid-games, but when you think about it, it might be the fact that the players themselves are having off-days. Like everyone else in this game. Luis Suarez failed to score or assist against Fulham a few weeks ago, his only zero-contribution game in 11 games - was that down to the immense defending by John Arne Riise? Hardly.

Bacuna has energy, a good shot and confidence. However, his positioning is below any standard. Playing him at right-back is a disaster in my opinion, because he cannot defend at all. He behaves like a midfielder, i.e not taking the necessary precautions in his defending. Always trying to nutmeg players instead of just clearing the ball upfield, passing sideways, leaving room to exploit because he is way up the pitch and tackling - well, like he was doing it in midfield. Sure, it's not his fault Lambert is playing him in that position and he'd most likely play wherever he was told. I am not seeing a great player in midfield either, let alone a mediocre one. Again, positioning is off, his forechecking is poor, he has little time on the ball and he seems to be chasing a player rather than being in his face before he can control it.

Bacuna, for me, is one of the weakest right-backs in the league and an ordinary midfielder. He has got some goals in him, which is always a nice threat to have, but so did Matty Taylor who always struggled to find his place whether it was at left-back or left-wing. A great goal out of nowhere does not hide the fact that him being in the side makes our team easier to score goals on.

Well, no-one came close to bidding that much after a marvelous first season, so why would they come back with 10M more after a tough second season? It's often about perception in the market, last year he was very hot, this season people are probably thinking he is struggling a bit more. Sure, injuries kept him out of the side for 8-9 games or so - but he did go just as many games without a single goal in the league at one point and that's alarming. Don't forget he's been on the pitch for 300 more minutes than Daniel Sturridge this season, more than Romelu Lukaku - in fact, only 8 strikers in the entire league has played more than him! So can we blame injuries and time off? Not necessarily, although he might have been carrying an injury more severe than we have been let to believe. Benteke has 10 goals this season and will probably finish with 14-15 tops. Out of those ten goals I think three were penalties, if you count the one he missed and rebounded in against Arsenal.

All in all I think his second season has been decent, certainly not great and with many frustrating patches. That is totally fine, he will certainly have a good career in front of him. However, 28M for him right now is total utopia. Tottenham were rumored to offer 16-18M last season, more than doubling our money and we said no, as we always would. Lambert and Benteke probably have a Gentleman's agreement in order for him to leave without resistance when the right offer comes along in the summer. Someone is surely going to remind me that the selling club sets the price, but we have seen many times that buying clubs set the standard and then the player bitches the entire summer before he is sold at a price in the middle range. If he delivers the good the remaining games I think we will sell him at anything between 18-22M, depending on the competition for his signature. Remember Chelsea offered 28M for Wayne Rooney in the summer, Man City got Alvaro Negredo for 15-16M if I remember correctly. No club is going to be interested at 28M.

Absolute load of bollocks. I know you're devastated because your beloved United lost again but that doesn't mean Bacuna isn't worth £3.2m.

One of the weakest in the league? Yeah OK then.

Excuse me? What a pathetic attempt to score a point.

I had money on Man City and also transferred Edin Dzeko into my Fantasy-team alongside Yaya Toure, so I was quite happy with that result.

If my opinion on Bacuna differs from yours you should try to discuss why you disagree in a more convincing manner, it's how the civilized world works these days.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise Dzeko was in your fantasy team.

There is nothing to discuss if you think Bacuna is one of the worst in the division. You think he "cannot defend at all". What the **** kind of position is that to argue against?

Bacuna was my second player. He cost £800k - £1m. Not that this has any relevance to Holt.

In what alternate universe has Bacuna been an outrageous success? He's scored some decent goals, but as a right back he's mostly been dreadful.

In the universe where he kept the best winger in the league quiet (a winger who earns his transfer fee in a month), the universe where he's been crucial in every home win, the universe where he's provided a threat from set pieces, while being played out of position the whole time in his first season away from home at the age of 22.

When you spend six figures on a 21 year old in the PL you expect them to have a 1st season impact like Helenius (ie. none). He's already a key first team player who provides a goal threat from right back. Obviously its not unthinkable that someone on an anti Lambert crusade might try to highlight his tactical naivety at RB (not his natural position) as evidence he's another shit disaster waste of money idiot loser signing but to be honest I don't really feel the need to debate that.

Then again you do think Vlaar is a "Terrible player" IIRC so by that measure the Bacuna signing has been an unmitigated catastrophe. I can't even begin to comprehend how disappointed you must be with Holt.

Keeping a player quiet for a game doesn't prove much in the big picture,

But that isn't the case though is it - it has been for quite a few games. Redmond, Goufran off the top of my head and there's more.

If you don't like a player fair enough but don't dismiss his performances this season as being only chelsea because it simply isn't true.

• 2 weeks later...
Â