Grant Holt

samjp26

I don't think it's done us any harm in signing him, whilst ultimately being unfruitful.

I disagree.

Liverpool and Everton were two games we could have got more from if the manager hadn't resorted to this failed tactic of lumping it to a target man.

And against west brom I think we we're very fortunate to score when we did because 3-3 I don't see us winning with holt coming on.

And I disagree with you. Against much better teams you are dictated to play like that, it always happens when you are leading and they are going gung-ho to get a point or three. Doesn't matter what the manager says, the team is harrassed and end up protecting itself in the easiest way

Would have rather have seen Robinson come on yesterday all I remember is Holt winning one foul. Still think he was a signing to help out a mate because I don't see any benefits from paying this guys wages even if it is a short term loan. Lerner should have given the money to Acorns!

Still think he was a signing to help out a mate because I don't see any benefits from paying this guys wages even if it is a short term loan. Lerner should have given the money to Acorns!

He was a signing to cover Benteke if he got injured. What's so difficult to understand about that? The way we play we'd be lost without a big man to lead the line up front and Lambert doesn't seem to be able or want to change that system so Holt was a cheap option while Kozak is injured.  

Still think he was a signing to help out a mate because I don't see any benefits from paying this guys wages even if it is a short term loan. Lerner should have given the money to Acorns!

He was a signing to cover Benteke if he got injured. What's so difficult to understand about that? The way we play we'd be lost without a big man to lead the line up front and Lambert doesn't seem to be able or want to change that system so Holt was a cheap option while Kozak is injured.  

Yes but it a bit like buying a rusty old Lada for when my Ferarri is in the garage for repairs. Just hate the fact that we pay this proper man to contrabute zilch on the pitch whenever he plays.

Can't for the life of me understand why there wasn't anyone else available abroad or at home who could have bettered Holts's performances so far.

Even Bowery couldn't have been this bad.

Just a completely useless signing by Lambert and a total waste of the club's money.

Why have I got the horrible feeling Lambert's going to start him at Old Trafford?

:) I bloody hope not, who did holt start against this season? I can't remember now

Everton wasn't it?

The loan signing of Grant Holt just about sums up Lambert's ability as a manager.

The signing of Gabriel Obertan / Djemba / Bebe just about sums up SAF's ability as a manager.

Any achievements by managers should be discounted when summarising their abilities in favour of using the worst signings from their entire career.

• Like 1

The loan signing of Grant Holt just about sums up Lambert's ability as a manager.

The signing of Gabriel Obertan / Djemba / Bebe just about sums up SAF's ability as a manager.

Any achievements by managers should be discounted when summarising their abilities in favour of using the worst signings from their entire career.

Also, Grant Holt was a very important player for Lambert in getting Norwich up to the Prem and so it's only natural that he would turn to him as a stop gap during lean times. If Libor didn't get his bad injury there is no way Holt would be at VP so I think some of the criticism regarding him is a little unwarranted.

• Like 1

What does the benteke signing say about him?

Another one the haters can't answer.

Excellent generalisation of the 'haters' so well done. IMO Paul Lambert doesn't sign / loan decent enough players overall. There is a bigger miss ratio than hit. Holt was never going to be a hit. Pointless pointless signing, restricting progress of our younger players who a) are far more exciting than Holt and b ) probably make more of an impact

Edited by BigCarew
  • Like 1

What does the benteke signing say about him?

Another one the haters can't answer.

The haters? You mean one person. A lot of people who voice concerns over Lambert actually make some valid points.

This isn't one of them but hey ho.

• Like 1

Can't for the life of me understand why there wasn't anyone else available abroad or at home who could have bettered Holts's performances so far.

Just a completely useless signing by Lambert and a total waste of the club's money.

Kozak got injured at the start of January which left Lambert ~3/4 weeks to get a replacement in. He couldn't sign anyone permanently as Kozak will come back, he had a limited budget and what player was going to come to Villa who were battling relegation to sit on the bench as cover?

Holt was the about the best we could do and it was a signing that made sense. Yeah he's been poor but you really can't hang Lambert out to dry over signing him.

Well Lambert has made 2 successful proven signings since he arrived 2 out of 16 is not exactly prolific?

Nonsense. He's had 2 outrageous successes that have quadrupled in value and several others that have more than justified their meagre transfer fees as well as a good few that could well do so in the future. Edited by ArteSuave

A frigging one legged monkey wearing glasses and carrying a walking stick would have been more useful.

The fact that we are paying wages to that complete waste of space really sticks in my craw.

I agree, a completely useless signing and a total waste of the clubs money.

Â