Grant Holt

samjp26

I wouldn't judge a player coming in from another country instantly. More often than not it takes time to adjust. I wouldn't be so harsh on Kozak, although I haven't really been impressed.

With Holt, he struggled last season, and can't get a game this season. He had one good season in the PL and that was when he was 30. When you are a big lump of a lad, those years take their toll quicker than they do for people like Giggs or Beckham.

OK he's hear now so I will stop moaning and digging at him.

Why didn't we sign him in the summer instead of Kozak then? Holt would have been a lot cheaper, around £5m saving by my guess and we could of spent the that on a creative player? I am sure we could have dug someone up for £5m. Instead we still sit here now looking to spend £1m on Hoolahan? Makes no sense to me?

Your post is the reason it doesn't make sense to you.

We didn't buy Holt in the summer because Lambert wanted a long term target man to continue our attractive style of football.

That's our trouble like the MON era we have one style of play hoof ball and counter attack, Lambert seems lost without 4 strikers over 6'2"

OK OK I've got one. My turn.

He'll probably usually come on as a sub. Get half an hour here or there. Maybe make the odd start. Not set the world alight but be fairly decent and get a few goals and assists that will earn us some (probably very valuable) points. He'll then go back to his parent club in the summer with no lasting damage to our finances.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's fairly decent and gets a few goals and assists.

£5 million Kozak struggled to do all of those things.

14 Premier League games, 4 goals. 36.4% of his shots were goals, 63.6% of his shots were on target.

Our second highest scorer behind Benteke and with better goals/shots/shots on target percentages than any of our other players. Did alright IMO.

Ask con about bannan and he'll show you some stats.

I'll judge him on what I saw. But like Stefan said this isn't about Kozak.

OK he's hear now so I will stop moaning and digging at him.

Why didn't we sign him in the summer instead of Kozak then? Holt would have been a lot cheaper, around £5m saving by my guess and we could of spent the that on a creative player? I am sure we could have dug someone up for £5m. Instead we still sit here now looking to spend £1m on Hoolahan? Makes no sense to me?

Answered your own question. Hoolahan is absolutely perfect for us in our current situation.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's fairly decent and gets a few goals and assists.

We can agree to disagree on Kozak but even so, it might be why Lambert bought an experienced striker that has done it in the Premier League already. He did say he was going to buy experience.

Hey if Holt does the business i'll be on here praising Lambert for the signing. If he gets the best out of him and he does well for the team then good decision. It would still concern me about the way he wants to play and the inability to use the squad he's put together.

We can agree to disagree on Kozak but even so, it might be why Lambert bought an experienced striker that has done it in the Premier League already. He did say he was going to buy experience.

Hey if Holt does the business i'll be on here praising Lambert for the signing. If he gets the best out of him and he does well for the team then good decision. It would still concern me about the way he wants to play and the inability to use the squad he's put together.

We all understand you have doubts, I have doubts about this signing myself, but you say "if he does the business I'll be on here praising Lambert" - why not wait until he has or hasn't done the business before slating him then? 

We all understand you have doubts, I have doubts about this signing myself, but you say "if he does the business I'll be on here praising Lambert" - why not wait until he has or hasn't done the business before slating him then?

Because my opinion is he's an awful player. If we all waited for it to actually happen before sharing an opinion there wouldn't be much to discuss on here.

He'll probably do a Heskey/Zat Knight, and get one on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a great piece of business, before being utterly shite for the rest of the season.

The club made money on Zat Knight

Pound for pound he was probably O'Neill's most (only?) astute signing.

In that case what more is there to discuss about him until he plays? You've said you think he is an awful player, there isn't much more to add until he actually plays is there? When that happens you can either use a crap performance to back up your original opinion or praise him if he performs well.

We didn't buy Holt in the summer because Lambert wanted a long term target man to continue our attractive style of football.

That's our trouble like the MON era we have one style of play hoof ball and counter attack, Lambert seems lost without 4 strikers over 6'2"

Don't forget everyone back for a corner.

Lambert is O'Neill, we've been gringoed   :angry:

He'll probably do a Heskey/Zat Knight, and get one on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a great piece of business, before being utterly shite for the rest of the season.

The signing of Zat Knight expedited; or worse, created the scenario that resulted in; the exit of Gary Cahill, so no, I can't agree with that one in the grand scheme of things. It can't be seen just in isolation if we're talking about astuteness.

how is he awful though? an awful player would not have 23 goals in 2 seasons in an average team. an awful player would also have not made it to Premier League in his career unless your Ali Dia

What he did in his past adds little to what he's like as a player currently. If we signed Pele I'd say he's an awful player.

What, other than Ashley Young, Stuart Downing and James Milner, who we not only nearly doubled our money on, but who were also great players while they were here.  Seeing as the business we're in is to win football matches, getting our money back for Zat Knight doesn't make him a good signing.*

*I'd have him in the team now though!

It just doesn't make any sense, basically if he plays well you'll praise him/Lambert but until then you'll just call him continually call him crap? 

Fair enough I guess, I'll leave my replies there.

Edited by samjp26

The signing of Zat Knight expedited; or worse, created the scenario that resulted in; the exit of Gary Cahill, so no, I can't agree with that one in the grand scheme of things. It can't be seen just in isolation if we're talking about astuteness.

NNNNOOOOOOOOO I knew mentioning Zat would bring out the Cahill Army!!!! ARRRGGHH!!

You're damned right Delboy  :) , I was really p**ssed when Cahill was shipped out in return for Zat "whoopsie" Knight.

Back on topic …. I can understand why PL's bought in Holt, but I'm totally underwhelmed by the prospect of watching the next 17 games. 

Â