Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Smithy, after what Lambert did for Norwich, surely you don't believe that we were the first club in for him?

Not the first club no but the first one he saw as a step up.

He supposedly had talks with Burnley at one point and was linked with West Ham and refused to distance himself from speculation, presumably using it as leverage to get a better deal/more funds from the board.

Lambert did great things for us, it was a mutually beneficial arrangement and these things come to an end but one of the things I don;t miss is worrying our manager will be off every time a managerial vacancy comes up! We don;t have to worry about that now of course with good old cautious Chris which is both a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Your happy with a manager that wouldn't want to better himself?

Its like saying I don't want the club to do well in case the manager then leaves.

Norwich are being pathetic in this if as stated they will sell but not to villa, its petty playground stuff and rather embarrassing.

I'm happy to have a manager who I think has genuine integrity, wants to build up all areas of the club and won't jump ship at the first sniff of a slightly bigger club coming along yes. In that respect Hughton has always been a good fit for us, particularly when a spell of stability was needed after Lambert. its just a shame his tactics and mentality are so conservative and boring that on occasions I can't bear to watch us play hence would quite like him to be sacked now.

A spell of stability? Lambert was with you for 3 years, that's longer than the average manager. Its not like he moved on after 1 season. I just think the board Are being pathetic and ungreatful for what lambert did there.

Smithy, after what Lambert did for Norwich, surely you don't believe that we were the first club in for him?

He supposedly had talks with Burnley at one point and was linked with West Ham and refused to distance himself from speculation, presumably using it as leverage to get a better deal/more funds from the board.

Lambert did great things for us, it was a mutually beneficial arrangement and these things come to an end but one of the things I don;t miss is worrying our manager will be off every time a managerial vacancy comes up! We don;t have to worry about that now of course with good old cautious Chris which is both a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Its like saying I don't want the club to do well in case the manager then leaves.

Norwich are being pathetic in this if as stated they will sell but not to villa, its petty playground stuff and rather embarrassing.

I'm happy to have a manager who I think has genuine integrity, wants to build up all areas of the club and won't jump ship at the first sniff of a slightly bigger club coming along yes. In that respect Hughton has always been a good fit for us, particularly when a spell of stability was needed after Lambert. its just a shame his tactics and mentality are so conservative and boring that on occasions I can't bear to watch us play hence would quite like him to be sacked now.

A spell of stability? Lambert was with you for 3 years, that's longer than the average manager. Its not like he moved on after 1 season. I just think the board Are being pathetic and ungreatful for what lambert did there.

So whats your point - we should let Lambert sign Wes on the cheap as a sign of thanks for all his hard work? Bottom line is that your offer is pathetic. Nothing more needs to be said on the subject really.

I wonder whether a manager has geuninely found a player from Football Manager? Probably would never admit it if they had.

Everton paid Sports Interactive to get their data earlier than anyone else, so I'm sure it's contributed.

It's not a bad idea to be honest.

I don't think any player should ever be signed PURELY on football manager. 

But if it's a case of "There's some 16 year old in Uruguay who's rated ridiculously highly, go and watch him for a month and see how he plays" then it's not totally ridiculous.

By why would the guys at Football Manager know about that kid and people working in football didn't?

I would be surprised if FM has a vast global scouting network which is better equipped than the professional clubs. It would be far easier to just randomise the top prospects than actually try and discover and predict them for real.

Well the FM stats are maintained by volunteers, quite often fans of the respective clubs (thousands of volunteers, by the way, if I'm not mistaken). Like Andy Clarke here on VT.

A lot of them are fanatical about the stats.

I'm not saying they're a better judge of player, but it is conceivable that someone like Andy at a club based in Uruguay (to continue my example) would have seen a prospect before Everton's head scout? I'd say so. I doubt any club's scouting network is aware of every player at every club in the world.

Like I said, I'm not saying it should be the judge of a player. But a little flag to say "apparently this kid is a real prospect, and he's one we've never looked at" is quite clever, I think.

Edited by Stevo985

Smithy - Out of curiosity what would you see as an acceptable bid for Wes?

Better yet, how do you even know how much we have bid, if indeed we have bid? There have been conflicting stories regarding an apparent bid, in which case none of really know for sure.

Edited by samjp26

I wonder whether a manager has geuninely found a player from Football Manager? Probably would never admit it if they had.

Everton paid Sports Interactive to get their data earlier than anyone else, so I'm sure it's contributed.

But if it's a case of "There's some 16 year old in Uruguay who's rated ridiculously highly, go and watch him for a month and see how he plays" then it's not totally ridiculous.

By why would the guys at Football Manager know about that kid and people working in football didn't?

I would be surprised if FM has a vast global scouting network which is better equipped than the professional clubs. It would be far easier to just randomise the top prospects than actually try and discover and predict them for real.

Well the FM stats are maintained by volunteers, quite often fans of the respective clubs (thousands of volunteers, by the way, if I'm not mistaken). Like Andy Clarke here on VT.

I'm not saying they're a better judge of player, but it is conceivable that someone like Andy at a club based in Uruguay (to continue my example) would have seen a prospect before Everton's head scout? I'd say so. I doubt any club's scouting network is aware of every player at every club in the world.

Like I said, I'm not saying it should be the judge of a player. But a little flag to say "apparently this kid is a real prospect, and he's one we've never looked at" is quite clever, I think.

Quite a few clubs use football manager to identify potential targets too I believe

Quite a few clubs use football manager to identify potential targets too I believe

Doesn't surprise me. 

Even if it is maintained by volunteers, it must still be the most extensive and accurate database of football talent available.

Seems Swansea have bid for Pilkington so if he goes even less chance of this deal happening.

Personally seems to me with made offer ,Norwich didn't want to know and we have moved on.Wes himself is trying to force the issue but I don't think it is going to 

get him anywhere.

So whats your point - we should let Lambert sign Wes on the cheap as a sign of thanks for all his hard work? Bottom line is that your offer is pathetic. Nothing more needs to be said on the subject really.

There's not even any confirmation of a bid and how much so you can't complain on that.

I never said that he should be sold as a thanks for the hard work, I said it's pathetic that you wouldn't sell to us because your board are bitter that lambert left, 18 months ago!

Your itk said that they'd consider selling him to anyone but villa.

And as I type Swansea have bid for pilkington, interesting to see how you react as he's first team player.

There's not even any confirmation of a bid and how much so you can't complain on that.

I never said that he should be sold as a thanks for the hard work, I said it's pathetic that you wouldn't sell to us because your board are bitter that lambert left, 18 months ago!

Your itk said that they'd consider selling him to anyone but villa.

And as I type Swansea have bid for pilkington, interesting to see how you react as he's first team player.

You also don't know for sure that Norwich would sell to another club for the amount we have offered do you?

Â