Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Makes sense for Norwich to make it awkward for us.  For a number of reasons.

1. He's a popular player there, even if Hughton doesn't seem to rate him as much as Norwich fans do.

2. Even if he doesn't always make the starting XI, he still makes the squad.  Not many sides would weaken their squad at this time of year for an extra 750k

3. That offer of 750k is derisory. 

Though I accept on that last point, it is perhaps just an opening salvo from us and we'll naturally go higher.  If I was them, I'm not sure I'd even let him go for £3/4 million though.  His age might be a consideration, but injuries to current first teamers or the cost of replacing him would be a bigger one.  

£3 or £4 million!!!  FFS we are talking about Wes Hoolahan.

If Lambert had £4million to spend on an attacking midfielder he wouldn’t be looking at Hoolahan. With £750,000 in the bank and looking for a quick fix, Hoolahan becomes an option.

By the way PL usually only played him in home prem games when he was at Norwich.

By the way PL usually only played him in home prem games when he was at Norwich.

That's not true. It's an even split for his Premier League season '11/'12. Similarly '09/'10 and '10/'11 in the lower leagues. Basically he used him all the time.

Ok so he started just under two thirds of their games. I remember PL dropping him an optiing to play two target men instead, think it was Morrision and Holt.

Cannot see what he would add to us in away games when we set up to counter attack.

That's not true. It's an even split for his Premier League season '11/'12. Similarly '09/'10 and '10/'11 in the lower leagues. Basically he used him all the time.

Ok so he started just under two thirds of their games. I remember PL dropping him an optiing to play two target men instead, think it was Morrision and Holt.

Cannot see what he would add to us in away games when we set up to counter attack.

Who gives a toss really? our away record is one of the best in the league. It's at home we need something else. I'd be happy if he just played at home.

Who gives a toss really? our away record is one of the best in the league. It's at home we need something else. I'd be happy if he just played at home.

We will need more than Hoolahan to sort out our home form. My original point was that he is not worth anything over £1million.  

We will need more than Hoolahan to sort out our home form. My original point was that he is not worth anything over £1million.  

It was?

Thinking this is a good signing shows our desperation

He is very underrated. The Norwich fans love him (and Norwich fans are pretty sound).

They loved Lambert as well.

As anyone would've who took a club to two straight promotions and kept them up?

• Like 1

You are not considering the possibility that with Hoolahan in the team we might not have to set up to counter attack in away games. With a playmaker it gives you more flexibility tactically.

• Like 1

You are not considering the possibility that with Hoolahan in the team we might not have to set up to counter attack in away games. With a playmaker it gives you more flexibility tactically.

Also possible that Hoolahan may be a back-up for that position if we can get him cheap, I'd be worried if we brought him in as our only 'number 10' as we'd be left with no creativity again should he take a knock. Obviously if there is no option of bringing in more than one player we'll have to make do.

Edited by samjp26

With the news regarding Ireland I'd now be a bit dissapointed with this. A quality AM would make big difference, could we not afford better than this in such a key position?

Ireland was already gone for the season, his wages would not have been counted anyway.

Just came across this from 2009, quite funny:

"I'm not going to push them out the door but they'll find it hard to play here. I'll go with the group of lads that's done well," said Lambert, in reference to Wes Hoolahan and Gary Doherty who he tried to sell at the time. 

"I'm not going to push them out the door but they'll find it hard to play here. I'll go with the group of lads that's done well," said Lambert, in reference to Wes Hoolahan and Gary Doherty who he tried to sell at the time.

That was right at the beginning of his time at the club. I've seen that quote a lot, and I don't understand the point. Seeing a player play for 3 years on your team shouldn't be able to change your mind?

That was right at the beginning of his time at the club. I've seen that quote a lot, and I don't understand the point. Seeing a player play for 3 years on your team shouldn't be able to change your mind?

I'm not saying he can't change his mind or even slating Wes Hoolahan - I find it funny how times change, a player that Lambert was actively trying to sell is now a player he is trying to buy at another club and also a player that Norwich fans are getting angry about potentially losing.

Maybe Joe Bennett will come back as the new Leighton Baines.

I'm not saying he can't change his mind or even slating Wes Hoolahan - I find it funny how times change, a player that Lambert was actively trying to sell is now a player he is trying to buy at another club and also a player that Norwich fans are getting angry about potentially losing.

Maybe Joe Bennett will come back as the new Leighton Baines.

Yeah sorry about that. I was more responding to people on twitter (like Howard hodgson) who were ridiculing lambert for changing his mind on hoolahan.

Â