Sky V Virgin Media

kurtsimonw

Which one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sky?
    • Virgin Media?

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I cannot believe that anybody bothers with either  anymore. With the amount of things you can get onto a fire stick for 60 quid a year it beggars belief

Well to get the internet only would cost 60 or at 85 I get everything including my Netflix subscription so I thought it was a no brainier. Also UFC/NFL etc still cost a lot money outside of sky/virgin

I hate contacting virmin media their call centres abraod are absolutely hopeless. You speak to about 7 different people until you get your query answerd.

Im pretty sure if  other companies offered what they do virmin would be out of business by now due to their terrible customer service

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I hate contacting virmin media their call centres abraod are absolutely hopeless. You speak to about 7 different people until you get your query answerd.

Im pretty sure if  other companies offered what they do virmin would be out of business by now due to their terrible customer service

Press the I want to leave button and you get through to Geordies. Might aswell be abroad :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

They will initially offer something £2 off a month but just say no. They’ll either offer more or call you back a few days later. You should be about to get down towards 40-50% off the listed price.

Sky are exactly the same in this respect. You have to play the annual game of saying the right words so they can offer certain discounts.

You can either say “I just can’t afford it” or “there’s a better deal with your competitor” and it should allow them to retain your custom.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I spoke to VM today. The ongoing issue I have is that the router is in one corner of the house and the signal struggles to carry to the opposite upstairs corner (where my sons room is and the spare room my wife works in).

So despite the fact i’m only about 4 months into my current contract they are doing the following.

1) Moving the router upstairs (it’s already pre-wired into my house)

2) Upgrading broadband speed from 200mb go 362mb

3) Sending us 3x “pods” (mesh wifi jobbies) for free

4) Sending us an 02 sim with unlimited mins and texts and 6gb data per month 

5) TV Package stays the same (all channels excluding sky sports and movies). Includes BT sports.

Whats the cost I hear you say… well my current contract was £44 a month discounted from £85 and had 12 months left to run. They want me to pay £43 per month for 18 months. £1 a month less than current. Amazing deal if I do say so myself. 

Update: VM are making a right pigs ear of this.

So they said (in writing) my new deal would cost £43 a month for 18 months, I accepted.

They send the paperwork through and it’s £43 a month for 11 months and then £78. I contact them, they apologise, they say they have fixed it and i’ll get a new contract through.

I have my new contract… it’s £43 a month for 10 months, then £78 and also a £25 one off charge has also appeared :bang:

• Haha 1

On 25/05/2022 at 20:58, lapal_fan said:

*Sigh*

Just had an email from Virginz saying my package is about to expire next month, and will rise from 77.99 to £147.50.

I currently have my phone on all you can eat data (this costs "nothing"), m600 broadband, maxit TV, additional TV box, virgin TV v6 box, powered by TiVo, kids pack, sports pack (bt and sky), cinema package, movie package.

Im not arsed losing it all, cos I'm not going to pay £150 for TV. Barely watch movies or kids stuff.. just sports mostly.

Help VT, you're my only hope.

I had this exact same package and I had been flip flopping between sky n virgin for years but virgin offered 1gig broadband, max tv 3 Wi-Fi mesh things for £74.99 because I had an o2 sim which is now volted (?)

On 11/09/2022 at 19:40, Follyfoot said:

I cannot believe that anybody bothers with either  anymore. With the amount of things you can get onto a fire stick for 60 quid a year it beggars belief

Got a firestick with kodi, then I've got amazon prime, Netflix and Disney, obviously then the Internet on top and pay £65 a month, various freeview channels on a smart TV, I could drop the 3 subscriptions if it wasn't for the wife wanting subtitles, could get now TV for £10 (?) if I wanted to pick up the hbo stuff

Haven't watched terrestrial TV for about 5 years 

Surprised so many people still do it, especially given both companies treat customers so poorly

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2022 at 10:02, Genie said:

Update: VM are making a right pigs ear of this.

So they said (in writing) my new deal would cost £43 a month for 18 months, I accepted.

They send the paperwork through and it’s £43 a month for 11 months and then £78. I contact them, they apologise, they say they have fixed it and i’ll get a new contract through.

I have my new contract… it’s £43 a month for 10 months, then £78 and also a £25 one off charge has also appeared :bang:

I've given up with virgin because of shit like this. I switched from sky and found that none of the sports channels were in HD, contacted them and they said I had to pay more than agreed, I was surprised but figured I'd made a mistake, later switched back to sky and when renewal time came around again virgin were cheaper so I went back to them. On the phone I confirmed about 8 times that all sports would be HD, they agreed every time until it all arrived and lo and behold nothings in HD. 

Ended up on the phone to them for 2 hours arguing about it before they gave me a credit to make up the difference because they wouldn't honour the price agreed. Never again, they lie through their teeth to get you to sign in the hope that their appalling customer service will put you off calling to complain about it. 

Sky have their faults for sure, but jesus at least you get what you pay for with them

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

Just priced this up with Sky sports, BT Sports and UHD bolted on. 

£84/mth. Am oot. I'll stick to the little rivers thanks.

Cant believe people pay this for sly and virmin. Both companies are just ripping people off

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weedman said:

I've given up with virgin because of shit like this. I switched from sky and found that none of the sports channels were in HD, contacted them and they said I had to pay more than agreed, I was surprised but figured I'd made a mistake, later switched back to sky and when renewal time came around again virgin were cheaper so I went back to them. On the phone I confirmed about 8 times that all sports would be HD, they agreed every time until it all arrived and lo and behold nothings in HD. 

Ended up on the phone to them for 2 hours arguing about it before they gave me a credit to make up the difference because they wouldn't honour the price agreed. Never again, they lie through their teeth to get you to sign in the hope that their appalling customer service will put you off calling to complain about it. 

Sky have their faults for sure, but jesus at least you get what you pay for with them

It was a hassle but eventually got someone to sort it out. It was such a good deal I didn’t want to let it go.

Basically what had happened someone had initially given me too much discount, in writing, so some others tried to bodge it but the system wouldn’t allow it. 

Eventually they just added a recurring discount manually for the life of the contract.

All base channels, BT sports, 350mb broadband, 2 wifi pods, an o2 sim with 6gb of data and landline phone (which I don’t use), £43 per month for 18 months.

Virgin, 300mbs , £24 a month, VPN £5 a month and IPTV £50 a year. Sport movies and TV series sorted. 

Virgin broadband router is hopeless, stick it in modem mode and attach a proper router to it, only costs about £50 and its a game changer. 

What do people need huge amounts of download speed for? 

I have a ZTE mobile router 5g and it's quicker than Virgin fixed broadband, when it comes to re new I maybe going that way.

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Virgin, 300mbs , £24 a month, VPN £5 a month and IPTV £50 a year. Sport movies and TV series sorted. 

Virgin broadband router is hopeless, stick it in modem mode and attach a proper router to it, only costs about £50 and its a game changer. 

What do people need huge amounts of download speed for? 

I have a ZTE mobile router 5g and it's quicker than Virgin fixed broadband, when it comes to re new I maybe going that way.

The VM hub3’s are dog shit. I’m waiting for mine to die hoping the replacement is better but I don’t think the next gens are much good either.

The VM wifi pods are essential.

The vodafone router I had got to every corner of the house with a rock solid signal.

9 hours ago, Genie said:

The VM hub3’s are dog shit. I’m waiting for mine to die hoping the replacement is better but I don’t think the next gens are much good either.

The VM wifi pods are essential.

The vodafone router I had got to every corner of the house with a rock solid signal.

By an amazing coincidence today I see virgin are sending out their new hub free of charge. 

Just hit go to deal and fill in the form.

HotUkDeals

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Craigyh74 said:

Cheers. I would never have known about this if I hadn't seen this. 

Same, just saw it by chance. From the comments it suggests the hub5 is a big improvement over the hub3 for signal around the house.

Â