Sky V Virgin Media

kurtsimonw

Which one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sky?
    • Virgin Media?

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Just looked on Virgin Media and they have some new offers. Seems like they have the same deal for £89 now plus you get £250 credit and £135 from quidco. Altho no minibox which isnt really needed anyway

Oh yea, I got 2 mini boxes, one upstairs, one down.  Forgot that.

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

On black friday last year I got a Virgin deal with;

All normal channels + sports + movies

1gb broadband

all you can eat data sim (which was perfect as my 2 year 3 deal was expiring and I was happy with the phone & still am)

a "free" 4k tv (which is now in the living room), which would have been £549 had I bought it RRP. 

for £77 a month.

I was paying Sky £55 a month for nothing but the basics, and I don't have a phone contract which I was spending £45 a month on, so all in all - I got really good value for money I think.

I have 6 months remaining and am dreading having to go back to Sky in Spring :( 

Virgin will do you a deal when it’s up for renewal. 
You just have to push past the first offer (from an Indian call centre of a couple of quid off) and then negotiate with the UK call centre people who can do good discounts. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Today Virgin have emailed to say price is going up so I can leave even earlier.

I really want to take the 500mb broadband with Sky TV, but not with a dish and not via a £895 TV I don’t need.

The other issue I have is that I can barely get a freeview signal so no Virgin or Sky TV and I have issues 😕 

What other options are there for TV?

Edited by Genie

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've agreed another 18 months with virgin for 32 quid a month, for 200 broadband and basic tv which doesn't get turned on as all my TV comes through my 70 quid a year firestick.

Do you have a land line with your package? 

17 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Do you have a land line with your package? 

I do but a phone has never been plugged into it.

They said  i could have broadband 100 on its own for 27 or broadband 200 on its own for 32. I asked if they would let me keep tv, phone and 200 internet for 32 quid and they agreed.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've recently downgraded my Virgin package, I was paying £58 a month for the basic TV package, landline and broadband, I've tried to cancel the TV before but they had me by the bollocks and told me that because it was a package I'd only save about 8 quid a month by cancelling the TV and keeping phone and broadband.

Called them up and the dude said he'd cut it down from £58 a month to £38 a month just for phone and broadband, 2 or 3 days later I get a call off some good Samaritan who says that he was calling me purely because he had seen what the deal was that I was offered and I was still paying far too much, he instantly cut it down to £21 a month and then said that if I cancel my phoneline as well then he can do it for £18.

I'm pleased with the deal but extremely pissed off that they have had me paying so much for so long when it really wasn't necessary.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

*Sigh*

Just had an email from Virginz saying my package is about to expire next month, and will rise from 77.99 to £147.50.

I currently have my phone on all you can eat data (this costs "nothing"), m600 broadband, maxit TV, additional TV box, virgin TV v6 box, powered by TiVo, kids pack, sports pack (bt and sky), cinema package, movie package.

Im not arsed losing it all, cos I'm not going to pay £150 for TV. Barely watch movies or kids stuff.. just sports mostly.

Help VT, you're my only hope.

59 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

*Sigh*

Just had an email from Virginz saying my package is about to expire next month, and will rise from 77.99 to £147.50.

I currently have my phone on all you can eat data (this costs "nothing"), m600 broadband, maxit TV, additional TV box, virgin TV v6 box, powered by TiVo, kids pack, sports pack (bt and sky), cinema package, movie package.

Im not arsed losing it all, cos I'm not going to pay £150 for TV. Barely watch movies or kids stuff.. just sports mostly.

Just tell emm, you'll cancel and get the discounted Sky deal. They will soon offer you a deal you can't refuse. Put a bit of a "cost of living" comment in there too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

*Sigh*

As @foreveryoung says, call them and tell you want to cancel. They say why, obviously it’s the price. You’re going to sky as it’s much cheaper and you wanted to get your bill down.

You may have to cancel and wait for them to call you back but they will. I do it every 18 months. My current package is £85 full price but I pay £44 (200mb broadband, all TV apart from movies and sky sports, includes bt sports, home phone). 

• 2 months later...

Spoke to cancellation team at Virgin Media... told them i couldn't afford it as they put up my price from £36 per month when i signed up 12 months ago to £51!

They got it back down to £36 per month, so i'm happy. 

That's the 9th year in a row they've agreed to £36, that must be their minimum price forever!

Thats for 100MB Fibre and standard TV package (and apparently a landline but i've never used that)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Spoke to cancellation team at Virgin Media... told them i couldn't afford it as they put up my price from £36 per month when i signed up 12 months ago to £51!

They got it back down to £36 per month, so i'm happy. 

That's the 9th year in a row they've agreed to £36, that must be their minimum price forever!

Thats for 100MB Fibre and standard TV package (and apparently a landline but i've never used that)

This is exactly what they did with me. Mine was going up to £70 a month. I rang up said cant afford so gonna cancel then they put it back to what i was paying before for 18 months.

I think they do it in hope people cant be bothered to ring up so are stuck on paying more

• 1 month later...
On 25/05/2022 at 22:22, Genie said:

As @foreveryoung says, call them and tell you want to cancel. They say why, obviously it’s the price. You’re going to sky as it’s much cheaper and you wanted to get your bill down.

You may have to cancel and wait for them to call you back but they will. I do it every 18 months. My current package is £85 full price but I pay £44 (200mb broadband, all TV apart from movies and sky sports, includes bt sports, home phone). 

I spoke to VM today. The ongoing issue I have is that the router is in one corner of the house and the signal struggles to carry to the opposite upstairs corner (where my sons room is and the spare room my wife works in).

So despite the fact i’m only about 4 months into my current contract they are doing the following.

1) Moving the router upstairs (it’s already pre-wired into my house)

2) Upgrading broadband speed from 200mb go 362mb

3) Sending us 3x “pods” (mesh wifi jobbies) for free

4) Sending us an 02 sim with unlimited mins and texts and 6gb data per month 

5) TV Package stays the same (all channels excluding sky sports and movies). Includes BT sports.

Whats the cost I hear you say… well my current contract was £44 a month discounted from £85 and had 12 months left to run. They want me to pay £43 per month for 18 months. £1 a month less than current. Amazing deal if I do say so myself. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I spoke to VM today. The ongoing issue I have is that the router is in one corner of the house and the signal struggles to carry to the opposite upstairs corner (where my sons room is and the spare room my wife works in).

So despite the fact i’m only about 4 months into my current contract they are doing the following.

1) Moving the router upstairs (it’s already pre-wired into my house)

2) Upgrading broadband speed from 200mb go 362mb

3) Sending us 3x “pods” (mesh wifi jobbies) for free

4) Sending us an 02 sim with unlimited mins and texts and 6gb data per month 

5) TV Package stays the same (all channels excluding sky sports and movies). Includes BT sports.

Whats the cost I hear you say… well my current contract was £44 a month discounted from £85 and had 12 months left to run. They want me to pay £43 per month for 18 months. £1 a month less than current. Amazing deal if I do say so myself. 

Got my Virgin deal down by about £40 a month and increased the speed of my broadband a few weeks ago. The only thing I ditched were kids tv and an international call allowance

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Got my Virgin deal down by about £40 a month and increased the speed of my broadband a few weeks ago. The only thing I ditched were kids tv and an international call allowance

I bet they’re getting shit loads of cancellations at the moment as people look for ways to make ends meet.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I guess so, my opening gambit was “the internet is shit and i’ll have to consider going elsewhere if you can’t help me”.

I just phoned them up and pressed the I'm leaving option. I was amazingly put straight through to someone :D

• Like 1

Yeah after a “I’m going to cancel” call, I ended up with 10 quid less than I was paying, faster broadband (500mb), Netflix covered and an unlimited o2 SIM card I don’t need but shoved it into an iPad, plus that gave me Disney free (which I already had) for 6 months.

Â