Sky V Virgin Media

kurtsimonw

Which one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sky?
    • Virgin Media?

have Virgin for Phone and broadband and never once a complaint

had sky ever since that staunton goal at Old Trafford and we were given only 600 tickets and I couldn't go.

can't get sky broadband here yet but there again I don't want to pay BT any money at all

I have been a loyal Telewest / Virgin customer for 4 years now and have not a bad word to say about them. Customer service and quality of service has been superb. I support Mr Branson 100% in standing up to Rupert Murdoch and I for one will not desert Virgin media just because I can't watch the Simpsons anymore.

Always been with cable (Telewest) and moved house twice and took telephone number etc with me. Never had one complaint. Broadband is excellent. Upgraded to VIP package, no probs. Sky now own sport and are trying to own tv so I'm glad Virgin are taking a stand against it. Ultimately people will always have good and bad experiences with the same company.

Was Always with Sky when i lived in London

Since i moved to West Mids i have been Telewest(Virgin)

Now i have nothing well Freeview Thats it im on the move soon so i guess i have to go back to Sky i dont really wanna give them my Money but until Virgin get sky 1 and sky sports back not much i can do.

If the TV service offered by Virgin was of the same standard as Sky's I would choose Virgin out of principle. I am not so fussed about the channels offered however, I hate the slow channel changes on Virgin and the fact that the interactive features cannot be used. I can honestly say that these are the only reasons I went with Sky.

If the TV service offered by Virgin was of the same standard as Sky's I would choose Virgin out of principle. I am not so fussed about the channels offered however, I hate the slow channel changes on Virgin and the fact that the interactive features cannot be used. I can honestly say that these are the only reasons I went with Sky.

My channel changes are instant and I have all the interactive features including teleport replay and TV on demand as well as loads of features I don't even need. Do you have the supreme package (which is what I have)?

My channel changes are instant and I have all the interactive features including teleport replay and TV on demand as well as loads of features I don't even need. Do you have the supreme package (which is what I have)?

I don't have Virgin but my girlfriends parents do and certainly at their place when I I change the channels it takes a few seconds for the channel details to come up and for the channel to change. It is a small issue which I have a big problem with. The features you don't get are the ones such as Football First, Match Selections for the Champions League to name but two.

I don't have Virgin but my girlfriends parents do and certainly at their place when I I change the channels it takes a few seconds for the channel details to come up and for the channel to change. It is a small issue which I have a big problem with. The features you don't get are the ones such as Football First, Match Selections for the Champions League to name but two.

ironically, they are two of the things I don't bother with!

If it wasnt for Sky+ then I would consider Freeview. Until then, Murdoch has me by the balls.

You can get freeview boxes with hard drives for under a £100. Do exactly the same as a sky plus box apart from just with freeview channels. I know they have them in the Argos.

The new V+ box on Virgin is absolutely fantastic. Natively has 3 tuner inputs (through the 1 cable :)) meaning you can record 2 programs at once whilst watching something completely different. Also, the channel change on the V+ box is on-par with Sky for change speed now. One thing Virgin has that Sky can't compete with is the huge On-Demand database. which will soon have all the good stuff from Disney and HBO (they've done a big exclusive deal). Click the button and the program starts. Virgin also automatically record all the popular programs from the past week allowing you to watch virtually anything you've missed that stream straight to your box via the on-demand service. I do know Sky are starting their Sky Anytime service soon but it's hardly comparable...seeing as it isn't a true on-demand platform (how can it be On-Demand when all Sky are doing is sending programs to the un-used partition on your Sky+ box every night?). One more thing... HD content on Virgin is absolutely free with the V+ box - you might say but there's no HD channels (barring BBC HD - which does look fantastic)! However, there is a good little on-demand library of HD content building up on Virgin now and the box does automatically upscale normal SD content.

We only recently changed to Virgin from Sky due to their VIP offer (we already have Virgin Broadband and phone anyway) so in the long run it does save us a helluva lot of money.

Must say, I do miss Sky Sports News though :(

The new V+ box on Virgin is absolutely fantastic. Natively has 3 tuner inputs (through the 1 cable :)) meaning you can record 2 programs at once whilst watching something completely different. Also, the channel change on the V+ box is on-par with Sky for change speed now. One thing Virgin has that Sky can't compete with is the huge On-Demand database. which will soon have all the good stuff from Disney and HBO (they've done a big exclusive deal). Click the button and the program starts. Virgin also automatically record all the popular programs from the past week allowing you to watch virtually anything you've missed that stream straight to your box via the on-demand service. I do know Sky are starting their Sky Anytime service soon but it's hardly comparable...seeing as it isn't a true on-demand platform (how can it be On-Demand when all Sky are doing is sending programs to the un-used partition on your Sky+ box every night?). One more thing... HD content on Virgin is absolutely free with the V+ box - you might say but there's no HD channels (barring BBC HD - which does look fantastic)! However, there is a good little on-demand library of HD content building up on Virgin now and the box does automatically upscale normal SD content.

We only recently changed to Virgin from Sky due to their VIP offer (we already have Virgin Broadband and phone anyway) so in the long run it does save us a helluva lot of money.

Must say, I do miss Sky Sports News though :(

That's interesting stuff. I have just subscribed to sky after buying a house and had I known all this I would probably have gone with Virgin. Oh well.

On your last point, I mentioned earlier in the thread but I have been led to believe that Virgin and Setanta are potentially going to launch a new sports channel to rival SSN.

One thing that puts me off Virgin is the price. I know if you have all of it you don't have to pay line rental to BT, but I can't see them beating the 26 quid package from Sky.

O, I have a question. If you have the Sky+ box do you pay an extra tenner a month like I'm get on their website.

One thing that puts me off Virgin is the price. I know if you have all of it you don't have to pay line rental to BT, but I can't see them beating the 26 quid package from Sky.

O, I have a question. If you have the Sky+ box do you pay an extra tenner a month like I'm get on their website.

Depends on the size of the hard drive on the Sky + box I think. If you get the 80g one then there is no extra cost!

Depends on the size of the hard drive on the Sky + box I think. If you get the 80g one then there is no extra cost!

How much is that? Thinking about getting a recordable DVD player but thinking ma mom would be better off with Sky+ as my mates seems simple enough to work.

If it wasnt for Sky+ then I would consider Freeview. Until then, Murdoch has me by the balls.

You can get freeview boxes with hard drives for under a £100. Do exactly the same as a sky plus box apart from just with freeview channels. I know they have them in the Argos.

But no series link and no remote programming.

How much is that? Thinking about getting a recordable DVD player but thinking ma mom would be better off with Sky+ as my mates seems simple enough to work.

Brand new from Sky they are about £100 but you can get reconditioned or second hand ones cheaper. Not sure how much though as I haven't invested in one yet!

But no series link and no remote programming.

And no Sky One, SSN, and a whole host of other channels not offered by Virgin/Freeview.

Sky is 2nd none.

It maybe a little expensive, but IMO, it is far above Virgin/Freeview

On your last point, I mentioned earlier in the thread but I have been led to believe that Virgin and Setanta are potentially going to launch a new sports channel to rival SSN.

Could potentially be very good but tbh I can't see it being half as good as SSN :(

Â