Sky V Virgin Media

kurtsimonw

Which one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sky?
    • Virgin Media?

On your last point, I mentioned earlier in the thread but I have been led to believe that Virgin and Setanta are potentially going to launch a new sports channel to rival SSN.

Could potentially be very good but tbh I can't see it being half as good as SSN :(

I think it will be better. They have a blue print on which to improve. I think they could also link up more fully in the long term too. Sky is lucky that Virgin didn't take over Telewest sooner as they may not have won as many football packages.

If it wasnt for Sky+ then I would consider Freeview. Until then, Murdoch has me by the balls.

You can get Freeview PVR boxes

Good point. I think you have to get a digital box installed, but if you don't subscribe to a digital package, you automatically get the Freeview channels.

Hang on, since when has Sky Sports News been half decent? The same few stories repeated by the same boring presenters. It's like Sky News but narrowed right down so there isn't enough content to fill a show. The ONLY thing worth watching is the Gilette Soccer Special thing, but that's not a huge amount better than what you'll find on your local radio station.

I've got a Topfield Freeview PVR. Twin tuner, so can record two things at once, and you can install extra apps on it. One many Toppy users have is called MyStuff, which is an alternative EPG and allows you to set up Series Links (called Control Timers in MyStuff), - works exactly the same as Sky+, but with a 250Gb HDD and no monthly cost (so ner ne ner Simon ;)). Look here for lots of details...

And Beasley, the 3 for £26 offer from Sky is actually £37 'cause you need to add in your BT line rental. So the 3 for £30 deal from Virgin is pretty good.

for Virgin I pay £40 a month

£11 line rental

£18 Broadband - 2mb - unlimited

£5 free weekend and evening calls

£6 - average phone calls a month

Checked with sky for roughly the same package and was going to cost around £5month extra even though I have the full sky TV package - £63 a month

And Beasley, the 3 for £26 offer from Sky is actually £37 'cause you need to add in your BT line rental. So the 3 for £30 deal from Virgin is pretty good.

Ye but the packages aren't half as good as Sky. With Sky you get everything other then sport and movies. Virgin, I think you only get around half. Internet you get 2mb with Virgin and up to 8gb with Sky. I think the phone packages are pretty similar.

Another thing is I don't want then digging up the drive to get the wires in.

(so ner ne ner Simon ;)).

So which bit does the remote programming? I can set my sky+ by text message.

I did like the warnings about the EPGs not being kept up to date. If it's like the freeview in this hotel, I can't see any program details for any itv or c4 channel tonight.

Not quite the same :-)

You can set it by text, but admittedly it costs you a few pence (literally) every time you do - it's a service supplied by that web site I linked to.

I've never had an issue with listings, I've got 7 days in advance that are all fully searchable.

I'm not suggesting my Toppy is better than Sky+, after all the software I'm explaining is developed by an individual not a chunky company, but I'm just trying to point out that just 'cause it's a Freeview PVR doesn't mean it's lacking in features.

I know :mrgreen:

I have a DVB card on a linux box running MythTV at home, it's just sky really have got the sky+ package right. The only think it lacks (for me) is network access to the content...

If the Toppy software open source?

for Virgin I pay £40 a month

£11 line rental

£18 Broadband - 2mb - unlimited

£5 free weekend and evening calls

£6 - average phone calls a month

Checked with sky for roughly the same package and was going to cost around £5month extra even though I have the full sky TV package - £63 a month

Where did you check Ian?

I've just dumped Virgin. I've always had Sky tv.

£11 line rental, same as new BT line, installation costs £0.

£25 broadband package, now £10 MAX package with Sky.

£5.50 evening/weekend calls, now free with Sky Talk.

I expect other call charges to be virtually the same.

So I'm saving £20.50, approx. 50% per month.

I'm more than happy with our VIP package...

10megs broadband - soon to be increased to 20 megs by May which contrary to advertising by Sky has always hit it's full potential, peaking at roughly 1MB/s (EDIT...just in case, that's megabytes not megabits ;)).

All the decent stuff that Sky has (albeit it without Sky One, Sky News or SSN) + the huge free On-Demand database that is 2nd to none in the UK

V+ (that's the equivalent to Sky+ (but has 3 tuners) and is also an HD box which upscales even normal SD telly) + normal box (so Sky's equivalent to multi-room)

Unlimited local and national free calls (as it's all included in the price)

and other bits and bobs like cheap mobile and international calling etc.

All in for £85/month.

Now comparing what I was paying out for same deal (as I've only just dumped Sky), I'm saving roughly £30 a month that's without Sky HD for what I believe to be a stonking service (the on-demand thing is insane).

I've got all services with Virgin. Phoned them up the other week to say I was unhappy at losing the sky channels & was thinking of leaving. After a 40min call (30 mins waiting) I got my bill reduced by £15 permanently & talk unlimited added :-) so those on virgin give them a call and see what you can get

• 2 years later...
Â