Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

only have the stats for the last 6 seasons but this makes things intresting

jjfb.png

it shows Lambert had last season the best passing Villa team in 5 years, Houllier played the better football but Lambert is trying to do what O'Neill did but on a much tighter budget

Edited by lmarsha_926

Bacunas quick Kev, he dropped him, Bennetts quick enough hes dropped.

Hes cut off his nose too often .You could argue Ireland, Sidwell, Dunne, Collins, Bent, would walk into our team atm, and Cuellar Warnock and Hutton would'nt make us much worse either.

PL has been here 18 months, hes bought how many players, if theres a problem, its a problem he has created.

Bacuna you may of notice wasnt dropped he played yesterday. Bennett's been injured all season and is still injured

Bent can't walk into Fulhams shite side nor can Cuellar get into Sunderland's shite side

Ireland had numerous chances and wasted them all, Sidwell went under Houillier??

Warnock and Hutton were utter utter crap. Warnock can't get into a Championship side and no-one in their right mind will take Hutton, even on loan

Dunne and Collins cost £100k+ a week in wages. Dunne was even more injury prone than Vlaar. Collins attitude was rightly questioned and I for one am delighted he has left my club

None of the players you mention have gone on to be successful elsewhere

Garbage

Yep, these rubbish players who were part if the rot are suddenly world beaters.

Brilliant!

You would have great difficulty to find anyone on site who have referred to those players as world beaters.

The point being made is that some of those players could have been used for a short period of time to take the pressure off the younger players while they developed which would have meant the Lambert revolution being more gradual and less of a shock to the club.

These higher paid players almost got us relegated too.

Yes mate but that was with Mcleish and Lambert has spent another 40 odd million without much or any improvement.
But he was forced to sell the high earners and build a full squad for 40m, whilst he has made mistakes, it is hard to really judge him when that sort of money would have build a squad 10 years ago, player prices have doubled since. 40m gives no room to breathe and you have to find top quality for 2/3m, if it were that easy Man City and Chelsea would fill their squad. Edited by dodgyknees

only have the stats for the last 6 seasons but this makes things intresting

jjfb.png

it shows Lambert had last season the best passing Villa team in 5 years, Houllier played the better football but Lambert is trying to do what O'Neill did but on a much tighter budget

Interesting, thank you.

Bacunas quick Kev, he dropped him, Bennetts quick enough hes dropped.

Hes cut off his nose too often .You could argue Ireland, Sidwell, Dunne, Collins, Bent, would walk into our team atm, and Cuellar Warnock and Hutton would'nt make us much worse either.

PL has been here 18 months, hes bought how many players, if theres a problem, its a problem he has created.

Bacuna you may of notice wasnt dropped he played yesterday. Bennett's been injured all season and is still injured

Bent can't walk into Fulhams shite side nor can Cuellar get into Sunderland's shite side

Ireland had numerous chances and wasted them all, Sidwell went under Houillier??

Warnock and Hutton were utter utter crap. Warnock can't get into a Championship side and no-one in their right mind will take Hutton, even on loan

Dunne and Collins cost £100k+ a week in wages. Dunne was even more injury prone than Vlaar. Collins attitude was rightly questioned and I for one am delighted he has left my club

None of the players you mention have gone on to be successful elsewhere

Garbage

Yep, these rubbish players who were part if the rot are suddenly world beaters.

Brilliant!

You would have great difficulty to find anyone on site who have referred to those players as world beaters.

The point being made is that some of those players could have been used for a short period of time to take the pressure off the younger players while they developed which would have meant the Lambert revolution being more gradual and less of a shock to the club.

These higher paid players almost got us relegated too.

Yes mate but that was with Mcleish and Lambert has spent another 40 odd million without much or any improvement.
But he was forced to sell the high earners and build a full squad for 40m, whilst he has made mistakes, it is hard to really judge him when that sort of money would have build a squad 10 years ago, player prices have doubled since. 40m gives no room to breathe and you have to find top quality for 2/3m, if it were that easy Man City and Chelsea would fill their squad.

While he had the remit of change DK was he forced into doing it so quickly or could it have been more gradual. Giving Bent the captaincy would suggest the latter but the real question should be has he improved our squad and one would have to say looking at the standard of football played and present points trend the answer would have to be no.

That may change though if he brings the right signings in when the window opens and I am prepared to give him that time to turn us around. That's why it's probably the most important transfer window coming up in Lambert's tenure and if backed by Lerner he must get it right this time with no more shocking purchases.

This sudden dash for experience, I fear is the end for Lambert - although bizzarley - it is the right thing to do  - as a manager it just undermines his first 18 months at the club. Actually young and hungry wasn't the way forward after all - lets see if this works ...

It kinds of reminds me of Brian Little who resisted repeated calls to play Lee Hendrie - then for whatever reason (Rumours of behind the scenes arm twisting) Little played him - Hendrie Scored - But little as a manager then had zero credibility - and left days later....

Edited by smetrov
  • Like 1

This sudden dash for experience, I fear is the end for Lambert - although bizzarley - it is the right thing to do  - as a manager it just undermines his first 18 months at the club. Actually young and hungry wasn't the way forward after all - lets see if this works ...

It kinds of reminds me of Brian Little who resisted repeated calls to play Lee Hendrie - then for whatever reason (Rumours of behind the scenes arm twisting) Little played him - Hendrie Scored - But little as a manager then had zero credibility - and left days later....

I would love Lambert to be reminded of Brian Little. Like coming 4th and winning stuff.

Very well reasoned VillaCas and completely understandable. To be honest, I've no issue with the points return so far. We're a bit closer to the bottom three than I'd have liked but 3 points on Wednesday could turn that on its head.

What none of that is able to defend is the standard of football on show. How disorganised and demotivated we look. How much worse we seem to be getting game by game. Whilst I admire your persistence I know you're not stupid, you know, as a consumer, that on the pitch the level of entertainer provided simply isn't good enough and that if current form continues we're only heading one way.

While he had the remit of change DK was he forced into doing it so quickly or could it have been more gradual. Giving Bent the captaincy would suggest the latter but the real question should be has he improved our squad and one would have to say looking at the standard of football played and present points trend the answer would have to be no.

That may change though if he brings the right signings in when the window opens and I am prepared to give him that time to turn us around. That's why it's probably the most important transfer window coming up in Lambert's tenure and if backed by Lerner he must get it right this time with no more shocking purchases.

Good grief.....again with this nonsense.   That's not at all the real question AT ALL

Only in your fantasy world would you expect someone going from a £70m a year to a £35m a year wage bill to "improve" the squad!

We are in a cost-cutting operation - the real question is are we getting better value for the amount of resource employed and CLEARLY we are - Lambert earnt more points and better position than McL whilst utilising resource that cost and earnt massively less - so by any standard that is better

Is that the best that any manager could do? Possibly not - Rodgers or Moyes for example might do better. Is that better than any other manager that Villa could attract could do? probably yes

You have totally mis-understood the nature of the task facing us

This thread should be called "The Overreaction Thread" and your post sums it up perfectly.

Nothing quite like over reacting to a third parties in the know on an internet forum.  :lol:

• Like 2

Very well reasoned VillaCas and completely understandable. To be honest, I've no issue with the points return so far. We're a bit closer to the bottom three than I'd have liked but 3 points on Wednesday could turn that on its head.

What none of that is able to defend is the standard of football on show. How disorganised and demotivated we look. How much worse we seem to be getting game by game. Whilst I admire your persistence I know you're not stupid, you know, as a consumer, that on the pitch the level of entertainer provided simply isn't good enough and that if current form continues we're only heading one way.

I tend to agree with you. I've set out my reasons why I support Lambert and at the moment he is still on the plus side of the chart for me (as he has been since he came here) - however, that doesn't mean that I would continue to support him if performances continue to slide. Once he crosses over to the negative side of the line he is fair game

The problem for us is that resources are cut so close to the bone that, at the moment, that we really shouldnt expect much more than lower bottom half - We have a very weak squad and so a few injuries to key players leaves us very exposed. It's no wonder than confidence looks so low.   Lerner really needs to back Lambert in the window or be prepared to face the consequences.

To cover off the circular arguments that will undoubtedly be raised again.

I believe Lambert was right to freeze out the overpaid, underperformers (I also believe that this was part of the agreement with Lerner when he took the job)

I believe that Lambert would have liked to bring in a little more experience and quality but funds were not available

I believe that the £40m figure that is constantly trotted out is a red herring - in the same period we have lost players that cost double that to recruit

I firmly believe that wages = performance and whilst we are paying peanuts we will be a bottom half team

I believe that Lambert hates the style of football we are playing but is resigned to the fact that it is the best way to get points on the board

I believe that Lambert has taken a massive hit to his reputation on the gamble that Lerner will back him to achieve in Y3, Y4 & Y5

• Like 3